View Full Version : Rod Building Machine, Dale Clemmons $100

Knotdun
06-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Received this as a gift about 10 years ago. Never used. It is substantial aluminum rig basicaly two long rails with rollers mounted along it, and a motor at one end. The rollers use o-rings as "tires" which need replacing (deteriorated over time) but appear to be ordinary o-rings probably available at Home Depot. There is a thread spool mount that holds few spools which are also new and full of thread.
I'm posting here in the slim hope that someone in Northern Virginia may have a interest in it. Not crazy about boxing it up for shipping. Would probably cost a chunk to do so.
Cost $500. Will sell for $100 but please come see it.

ProfessorM
06-27-2009, 08:42 AM
wished you lived closer. I would take it. I need some more fishing related hobbies.:doh: Got plenty of friends that could teach me. Any pictures? If you don't get a bite in your area let me know. Good luck.

numbskull
06-27-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm interested and will take it pending a couple of questions. Does it have a chuck on one end driven by a pulley system that fastens to the rod butt, or is it direct drive with the motor mounted inline with the bed? How long are the sections? Does it have a foot control? Are you willing to ship (pak-mail will box it and send it) if I cover the shipping costs and throw in an extra 30 bucks for your trouble?

And screw ProfM.......he can easily go make his own.

ProfessorM
06-27-2009, 02:21 PM
And screw ProfM.......he can easily go make his own.

:eek:True I could copy yours. But you will have to teach me how to build a rod:tooth:

eastendlu
06-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe i should take a ride and get this and bring it up to the Professor us machinist have to stick together unless your going to be getting rid of the renzeti George then i will stay home.:wave:

numbskull
06-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Didn't get the Renzetti and got a feeling I'm not getting this one either. Some guy on the other site is bragging about getting it as we type. We'll see.

ProfessorM
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM
darn maybe he will send me pictures of it

numbskull
06-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Here you go, Tiger.........now get cutting....and make 2!

eastendlu
06-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Here you go, Tiger.........now get cutting....and make 2!

Make 3......

striperman36
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Make 3......
4, I'll deliver the other 3

ProfessorM
06-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Where do you buy the motor/chuck assembly? That is probably the expensive part. Everything else looks pretty simple, except the aluminum base, extrusion. Lu I bet if we look hard enough we could find an extrusion similar to that one but I bet it isn't cheap either. I could be wrong though.

ProfessorM
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
why couldn't you just use and I beam like they sell here? Got to be way cheaper than a custom extrusion. I am sure someone makes a similar extrusion to what they use, just got to locate it.

http://www.americanaluminum.com/aluminum-extrusions/aluminum-shapes.htm

striperman36
06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Where do you buy the motor/chuck assembly? That is probably the expensive part. Everything else looks pretty simple, except the aluminum base, extrusion. Lu I bet if we look hard enough we could find an extrusion similar to that one but I bet it isn't cheap either. I could be wrong though.

You can by the Renzetti or American Tackle setup for the motor end at rod building suppliers, its like 130 bucks.

Grapenuts
06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Prof....take a ride down sometime and see how to make one up without going nutso...all alum....12' long...not a big job..fully adj. simple to use.....plus all the other things you'll need to go along with your new hobby....rod building is kids stuff once you get the basic's down which isn't tough to start with.....then you can see the rest of the lab at the same time.It'll be well worth your time .

ProfessorM
06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd luv to Steve. I will be out that way for a week in late August, time share, so if I can't right now then will be a definite. If I do anything it won't be till after fishing season anyway. Thanks. P.

BTW do they allow lowly machinists in Chatham? Probably could sneak in under the cover of darkness if I got to.

Grapenuts
06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I'll be around close to home on call cause of mother...not going anywhere, so when ever your ready....
chit! you could set up shop here and blow these two clowns we have here out of the water without any trouble.No need to hide from them.

bigred
07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
hello KNOTDUN, has the rod building machine been sold yet? If not, please contact me

Thank you,
BIGRED

eastendlu
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
why couldn't you just use and I beam like they sell here? Got to be way cheaper than a custom extrusion. I am sure someone makes a similar extrusion to what they use, just got to locate it.

http://www.americanaluminum.com/aluminum-extrusions/aluminum-shapes.htm

Just saw this i will take a look tomorrow and see if i can locate some cheap extrusion.

rhahn427
07-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I want it ...... will pay cash and pick it up anytime convenient to you this weekend or any time you wish

reebok
07-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Whatever happened to Knotdun? Doesn't he know this thread is not done?

eastendlu
07-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Part of the problem when you sell something on various sites is that once it sells at one they don't go back to the others and close the threads.

Knotdun
07-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry I could not reply earlier. Buyer picked up this weekend...