View Full Version : Gor-Tex Surf Top - Third Season ... Now What?

Finaddict
06-28-2009, 11:32 AM
So I have an Aqua Skinz Phantom top, used it for two seasons. I would imagine it's made of Gore-Tex ... but it's no longer keeping me dry ... both in the pouring rain or wading deeper than the waist out to rocks or fishing the edges of flats.

If it is Gore-Tex, I know it has a limited shelf life on keeping one dry, but I would hope for the $$ I paid, it would last a little longer.

Not trying to bash the folks at Aqua Skinz, but hoping there is something I can do to extend the life of this product ... I have had the same thing happen to some expensive foul weather gear as well ...

... a friend of mine in Miami told me that his wife irons his Gore-Tex foul weather gear to get the Gore-Tex working again, I have not tried this ...

... but wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on this ...

likwid
06-28-2009, 11:35 AM
If it is Gore-Tex, I know it has a limited shelf life on keeping one dry, but I would hope for the $$ I paid, it would last a little longer.

Is it or isn't it Goretex?

And shelf life? Thats news to my 8 year old Arc'Teryx XCR shell thats still completely waterproof. :hihi:

MassBass
06-28-2009, 11:36 AM
NOT gore tex and the phantom is not a drytop but a semi drytop as it doesn't have latex neck gasket but an adjustable light weight neoprene adjustable neck cuff. OK for light wading but should you swim or take a spill, water will enter through the neck - I've experienced this! NRS has some very rugged drytops and reasonably priced.

Finaddict
06-28-2009, 11:54 AM
... yes, I am aware it's only a semi dry top ... but in the rain, would hope it would help to keep me dry ... it should at least do that ... and I only wade deep at times, above the waist, but not above the neck gasket ...

so, does anyone have any insight on how to remedy a two-season used AZ surf top so it can keep one dry?

likwid
06-28-2009, 11:59 AM
No care information with it or on a tag?
One of the issues is, a lot of different materials need VERY different care methods.

Quickest re-proofing trick with goretex is to just rinse it with a hose then toss it in a dryer for 20-30min on LOW.

I'm not sure if the AS material can have the same done.

And for the love of god, don't use anything but powdered detergent with pretty much nothing in it to clean it. Alot of coatings/materials will be destroyed by Tide etc.

JohnnyD
06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Try this...
http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/our-satisfaction-guarantee

They have customer service number that may be able to help you out. You'll probably get a better, more informed response from them.

MassBass
06-28-2009, 02:00 PM
... yes, I am aware it's only a semi dry top ... but in the rain, would hope it would help to keep me dry ... it should at least do that ... and I only wade deep at times, above the waist, but not above the neck gasket ...

so, does anyone have any insight on how to remedy a two-season used AZ surf top so it can keep one dry?

Where is the leak and have you tried contacting AS?

Steve K
06-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Gore-tex type fabrics need to be treated periodically to stay waterproof. Use one of the Nikwax products to treat it. I use the wash in type with my jackets that can be washed in the washing machine. Because the phantom cannot be washed in the washing machine, I would use the spray bottle kind.

RoyL
06-28-2009, 03:29 PM
The aquaskinz tops should be treated every few months. Aquaskinz recomends using a product called 303 Protectant, theres probably a link to where you can find it on the Aquaskinz site. This is from there warranty

Treat your Tops with 303 Protectant every 6 -8 weeks. 303 Protectant can be used on breathable fabric, gasket and neoprene materials. BE SURE TO ONLY LIGHLTY MIST THE FABRIC AND DO NOT TREAT THE TOP MORE THAN 3 -4 TIMES PER YEAR. Treating the Tops with 303 Protectant will extend the life of the Top and give it peak performance. Follow the instructions found on the 303 Protectant Product information.

You should clean and lubricate plastic and metal zippers at least every 3 months. Use McNett Zip Tech cleaner and lubricant products. Follow instructions provided on McNett Product information.

When storing gear with zippers, store them with the zippers OPEN. If left closed for prolonged periods of time, zipper sealing elements can “compress” the zipper and make it inoperable.

Gobi
06-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I have one of the older style EVO blue dry tops and same issue. I read about the 303 and I believe in the AS FAQ there is a note that says you can add a waterproofer, BUT I am going to double check w/ AS, as should you for your particular top.Better safe than sorry considering the moola required for a replacement. Good luck.

Finaddict
06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
there's no specific leak, the material overall just leaks ...

Roy and others, thanks for the insight, I will check the Web site and get the protectant ...

Tagger
06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Andy ... I got this stuff with my simms gortex waders .. They didn't leak but I was feeling damp .. 5 oz. size did them .. feel brand new again .. follow directions .. wich includes ,, machine wash ,, hang and spray wet garment ,, tumble dry medium heat 60 minutes ... do not air dry !!! .. worked pissaa for me ..

http://www.rmconnection.com/ReviveX.htm

dirty water
06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
just be greatfull it lasted that long mine fell apart less than a week and had to get my freind who repairs car seats to peace it back together for the money i paid for it i should have not had to do that but aqwa skins did not wan here it good luck in your next dry top

Raven
06-29-2009, 05:05 AM
just be greatfull it lasted that long mine fell apart less than a week and had to get my freind who repairs car seats to peace it back together for the money i paid for it i should have not had to do that but aqwa skins did not wan here it good luck in your next dry top

:bs:

PaulS
06-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Tagger, I wonder if you could put the revivex on boot foot waders and dry them w/a hair dryer.

I would email Kadir. He has been fair and responsive in everyone of my dealings with him.

Tagger
06-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Tagger, I wonder if you could put the revivex on boot foot waders and dry them w/a hair dryer.

I would email Kadir. He has been fair and responsive in everyone of my dealings with him.

??? I don't know .. I was giving this stuff complimentary when I bought my waders ... Works great on Gortex ... Other materials don't know ..

Finaddict
06-30-2009, 12:38 PM
thanks to all the suggestions, Eddy, not sure if AZ is gore-tex, the label says nylon, but does not specify anything in paritcular -- gore-tex or whatever. I will also send a note to Kadir, and see what he can recommend, although Roy L's post comes right from the AZ Web site as an extra protectant on stuff a little bit used.

Steve K
07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
That 303 Protectant has a million uses too. Like preserving the black plastic exterior parts on your truck.

Clogston29
07-01-2009, 10:10 AM
it lasted 2 years?? might be a record.

Back Beach
07-01-2009, 10:33 AM
:bs:

Not so, Raven. I got the same lip service myself. Although the guy only has two posts and its impossible to determine his motive for posting, the comments are dead on.

My simms has been great, btw. Two very hard seasons on it with no issues.

DZ
07-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I have finally begun to realize that there is no perfect rain top that lasts as long as the old Grundens or Helly Hanson models I wore years ago. Sure they were uncomfortable in warm weather but they were water proof and lasted for many years of service. I commend the new wave companies such as AS, Simms, etc for there attempts to manufacture breathable splash tops - but I haven't had one that stayed water "proof" more than two seasons. Last season rather than take another chance at a high cost breathable I purchased another top and decided to go back to a Grundens for use during those times when I'd like to stay dry.

DZ

Mr. Sandman
07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't think they are gore tex but they may be a related breathable clone.

But I have used the 303 water repellent. You can get it at west marine. It is the same stuff you use on boat covers. It's not cheap 20 bucks for a spray bottle but it does help. I put two light coats on my jacket 2 or 3X per season and it helps noticeably.
I agree, I don't like the term "semi-dry" what the hell does that mean? You are dry or wet, there is no such thing as semi dry..that's like a little pregnant. The fabric should keep you dryer than it does IMO. I understand the neck leakage in the semi-dry products but that is not the problem. The fabric in the fully "dry" top is the same as the semi-"dry" top. It leaks after modest usage.

I have to tell you at this time of year I don't wear my AS top(s), I like to were this dingy racing jacket I got at west marine for 80 bucks. It is not as breathable but it keeps you dry in the rain, cuts the wind has adjustable neck and wrist cuffs, is NOT intended for full immersion but rain and spray are fine. Mine lasted...get this... 10 years with no maintenance. (that 8 bucks/year...not bad)It was made by GILL. It is finally tired and worn out and I plan to get another this week. Very light weight pullover but it keeps your dry. It has pockets and velcro adjustments but is not nearly as slick a product as the high end surf tops. However, for a light weight summer jacket that will keep you dry and warm, its great. I owned this before surf tops were the rage. went thru 3 AS tops over that time and still have the old dingy jacket. Granted the AS tops are heavier duty product and are very nice but you can't beat these light weight jobs for the summer. In fact before AS was even in business I fished with this all season . Now I only use it in milder conditions and I find by doing so it extends the life of my AS product by not beating on it all season long.
The grunden pull over with neo cuffs is very heavy duty. That was my Nov/ Dec top. Mine is sort of retired but looks new. You can't wear that on a July night, oh it will keep you dry from outside wetness but you will be soaked from your own sweat and probably loose 50# in the process.

Bottom line there is no perfect top. you need to own them all including a wetsuit.

I hear a lot of positve things on the AS rain pants though. I may try them out.

Back Beach
07-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I have finally begun to realize that there is no perfect rain top that lasts as long as the old Grundens or Helly Hanson models I wore years ago. Sure they were uncomfortable in warm weather but they were water proof and lasted for many years of service. I commend the new wave companies such as AS, Simms, etc for there attempts to manufacture breathable splash tops - but I haven't had one that stayed water "proof" more than two seasons. Last season rather than take another chance at a high cost breathable I purchased another top and decided to go back to a Grundens for use during those times when I'd like to stay dry.

DZ

Slightly different application when you compare the grundens to a "dry top" but I have to agree the grundens is absolutely bullet proof. My grundens gear was purchased back in 1995 and still looks as good as the day I purchased it. You just can't kill the stuff.

numbskull
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
My grundens gear was purchased back in 1995 and still looks as good as the day I purchased it.

I wonder what the coat would say about you?

flysully
07-02-2009, 06:18 PM

\
Instead of asking on the forum where most guys don't have what you're referring to, why not just phone Aquaskinz and ask them? I always wonder why we don't think to just ask the source?

Good luck as i think Aquaskinz will be able to help you out. Let us know what they suggest. Thx.