View Full Version : Raven...need your help

jim sylvester
06-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I have a couple of deer destroying one of my perrenial gardens...every day something new is eaten

anything i can spray to keep them out?

thanks

Jim

nightfighter
06-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Jim,

Deer don't like human hair, so take your hairbrush and....oh yeah, nevermind...

Deer don't like human urine, so assuming you fish at night, relieve yourself around the garden before and after fishing. Don't let the neighbors catch you.....

(I read that cougar urine works, but could never bring one home.)

tynan19
06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
(I read that cougar urine works, but could never bring one home.)

:btu: Cougar Hunter . Jim, I think there was just a thread up on sol about the same problem.

thefishingfreak
06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
You could spray buckshot. That allways works

justplugit
06-28-2009, 04:14 PM
You could spray buckshot. That allways works

:hihi:

Hang some Dial Soap bars off some branches.

Jenn
06-28-2009, 04:22 PM
:hihi:

Hang some Dial Soap bars off some branches.

tried this last year because they were going to town on my Brussel Sprouts.....I put the soap just feet away and it didnt stop them one bit!

Mike P
06-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Plant some habanero pepper plants around the perimeter of your garden--they're often sold as decorative plants at nurseries.

My wife swears that this works like a charm ;)

Raven
06-29-2009, 06:01 AM
anything that tangles up their feet they avoid like the plague

that is their weakness.... those skinny legs...

so....make a barrier run... 50' long... add a few jingle bells to it
makes them think it's dog tags ...and some old dog tags clinking work awesome.

you can set up a couple of ten foot poles 2 feet into the ground
and string fishing line.... with the green or pink plastic tape at three foot intervals for a visual barrier... to keep birds from hitting it... 0r nylon string, lasts one year and is more visible
you use sheet rock screws to set the lines 16 inches apart.

(note: you have to run a main line on the top from a stake up to the top over to the other top and down to a stake 6 feet out to put tension on the fence before stringing it.

usually you have a three foot stake six to 8 feet out in front...

then you tie a cable or attach a leaner... from the short stake

up to each tall stake... at a 45 degree angle

this allows you to run the string lines back and forth in bleacher style fashion making a non jump able fence... and if they try it and get tangled up in it.... they'll never look back.
2.)
deer follow the same exact trail to a feeding area ...and that's where you want to grab some LION, TIGER, or Cougar crap from your closest ZOO and place it strategically so they encounter it... I have seen it sold online some where....
might just be the URINE....though

SPEAKING of Urine: Human PEE works wonders so make up a big batch of your favorite beverage and then set up a long neck funnel into an old empty milk Jug to pee into it....

back track the trail and scent them out.... pour a little here and there...especially on trees! where there is a dry spot over hang
so the rain is less apt to wash away all the scent...

(if necessary:
use a motion detector camera to view the whole area to see how
they approach your yard.)
~

the only other way is to grow a deer food plot and feed them with it............
so they are not eating what you don't want them eating.

Raven
06-29-2009, 06:17 AM
tried this last year because they were going to town on my Brussel Sprouts.....I put the soap just feet away and it didnt stop them one bit!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the only thing i have seen deer eat with reckless abandon
is any of the stalks from broccoli... Brussels sprouts is the same family.... but that's usually way past
harvest....time........ and at that point i didn't care...

sometimes all you need is some noise so you can tie a long string to a over hanging branch and pull it in the middle of the night with some pebbles in a tin can -> hanging off of it.

or early in the morning ...because they feed like clockwork
same as bats....they go in at exactly 5:05am and come out at exactly 8:05 pm

you could set a watch by them... it's all in the timing !!!

MakoMike
06-29-2009, 07:23 AM
We use a company that sprays something on ther shrubs and we never have a problem with the deer, even tough most of the neighbors do have deer problems. They also sell the spray they use. I'll get the name of the company from my wife later and post back.