View Full Version : Spiral / acid wrap....

tlapinski
06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
I did up a spiral a few years back that i really liked and then lost my notes for the rod. Working on another one now and was doing some research online as things just weren't adding up and I came across this helpful link. I would just consult the original project but the rod was hijacked and has a new home these days.

http://www.acidrod.com/files/degreewheel_wInstructions.pdf

Saltheart
06-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Kind of complicated way of doing a simple thing isn't it?

I suppose once you have the bent wire and the wheel all cut out its easier just to use it than the initial set up described.

Almost any drafting supply catalog and many of the craft shops carry plastic templates with multiple holes of different ID's with marks every 90 degrees and some 45 and 30 degree marks also.

In fact oif you know how to do single , double and quad cross wraps , the same techniques of simply dividing the space between lines one circumference apart into half or fourths will also reveal the 90 and 45 degree lines easily for you.

The other thing is that I'm not sure acid wraps (spiral wraps) should always have the guides exactly at the 90 or 60 or 45 degree spots. I think its a starting point but then the locations should be tweaked angularly (say you aim for a guide every 45 degrees to start but then adjust one to 50 and one to 40 , etc (just an example)) just like they are linearly tweaks when you do the stress test. I don't think there is anything sacred about the exact 45 degree , 60 degree etc , those angle should be adjusted based on the guide height , the blank taper and the linear spacing of the guides around the spiral.