View Full Version : billingsgate shoal

sonny
01-25-2003, 09:24 AM
I am from Vt. and stay in Chatham for 2 weeks every summer. We mainly fish Monomoy with good success. We'd like to try Billisgate this year. We have a 20' boat, wire, fly rods,lead core etc. We're after larger stripers if possible. Could anyone give me some advice? I particularly like fishing tube and worm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Sonny

Van
01-25-2003, 10:15 AM
I have fished there quite a few times.

Typically we trolled from the "path" (visible path on the shore)
to the Pamet river. (shallow waters)..

If they are in deeper water off the other side of the shoal, look for the "fleet"....

We trolled wire with bucktails, rapalas, and trees.

IS IT SPRING YET !!!!!!

Canalratt1
01-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Lots of great areas around Barnstable like Van said look for the fleet. Watch your depth finder and trolling wire and/or leadcore tube and worms work best. Last summer had many bass between 30 and forty lbs.

sonny
01-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Dear Canal Rat, thanks for the info. What depth do you usually fish at? I realize this will change with temp etc. Do you fish the tube and worm in deep water on wire....i know it drops off to 40-50 feet off the edge. What about Scortons ledge? Oh by the way if anyone needs info on fishing salmon or trout on lake champlain please ask. Thanks Sonny

l.i.fish.in.vt
01-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Sonny where are you in VT? i am in Warren Vt. fish the cape quite a bit. usually launch in Pamet river.

sonny
01-26-2003, 07:21 PM
i live in E. Montpelier and usually fish monomoy, pleasant bay. we catch alot of fish off monomoy but not too many real big ones 30+ lbs. and would like to target the bigger fish. any help would be appreciated

Van
01-27-2003, 08:11 AM
Sonny:

Me and my buddies have fished champy for the last 4 seasons,(one trip) per year though.

Got many lakers and only a few salmon. That lake sure does have lots of fish in it ...

This summer we are fishing Ontario !!!! KING SALMON, have you ever fished there??

Hooper
01-27-2003, 08:58 AM
Sonny-

I fish the bay quite a lot. I run charters for a skipper when he needs days off and I would be happy to help you out and tell you what I can. drop me and E-Mail if you are interested.

ggibbons@attbi.com

-Hooper ;)

Canalratt1
01-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Sonny the fish move around quite a bit. Scortons Ledge is usually our first spot as its closest to the Sandwich ramp. It can be tough to troll because of all the pots. We use leadcore with large tubes either wine red or orange and the largest worms you can find. Watch your fishfinder, my buddies boat has a color machine and he can actually tell what kind of fish we are over. Most times it is in water between 30 and 70 feet. The fish can be suspended almost anywhere between these depths. Trial and error on how many colors out but once you find the right combo you can do quite well.