View Full Version : Reminder to Retie Those Knots

cow tamer
07-04-2009, 02:09 PM
I was holding a 28 in. fish by the leader and before I could grab it, a couple of shakes caused the 40 lb. leader to break at the snap. Reminded me to retie those knots!!

RNC
07-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Absolutely!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

numbskull
07-04-2009, 04:45 PM
For what it is worth, I don't. Once I have a knot I am happy with, I've given up retying routinely unless the leader is frayed. A well set knot (I use a vise and two hands to set mine) in heavy mono or fluro is not weakening anytime quickly....and I have more confidence in a knot that has been tested and passed, than a new one tied in less than ideal conditions. Occasionally it costs me, but no more than new knots have.

Back Beach
07-05-2009, 06:32 AM
For what it is worth, I don't. Once I have a knot I am happy with, I've given up retying routinely unless the leader is frayed. A well set knot (I use a vise and two hands to set mine) in heavy mono or fluro is not weakening anytime quickly....and I have more confidence in a knot that has been tested and passed, than a new one tied in less than ideal conditions. Occasionally it costs me, but no more than new knots have.

Its easy to say your knots never fail when nothing ever pulls on your line, save for the occasional sea robin.

NIB
07-05-2009, 08:37 AM
When My leader gets frayed i just loosen my drag..

cow tamer
07-05-2009, 09:55 AM

In this case it wasn't the knot that loosened.
The fluorocarbon line of the knot itself that was in intimate contact with the snap appeared to have cold flowed over time, reducing its diameter and ultimate strength and this was what broke.

numbskull
07-05-2009, 09:57 AM
When My leader gets frayed i just loosen my drag..

Not until you too can catch sea robins on top water lures....should you feel free to dispense useless advice on the internet. Now keep your head behind the ball, don't take your clubhead outside the swing path, and try not to fart while the group ahead of you is teeing off.

RIROCKHOUND
07-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Numbskull, I agree.
I tie mine in the basement and hang them from a nail and pull with a glove to set them in 80lb mono...
very confident in those knots...

slow eddie
07-05-2009, 10:35 AM
i make about 2 dozen at a time. like bryan, pull and tug. while their hanging, a drop of super glue on the knot itself.

fishsmith
07-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I envy you prepared guys, with the exception of crimped stuff, I'm of the frantic tie em when you get there club, that being said, I've never had a palomar or uni to uni fail/backoff on me, and with the cost of floro, I don't change them till they're frayed or to short.

Thumper
07-05-2009, 01:25 PM
i agree with numbskull and everyone else, if you tie at home and are confident in your knots you should be fine. if for some reason something happens to the leader and i have to retie i just cut it off and put on a brandy new one and tie a palomor. its not that i cant tie at night in the dark with a light its just the fact that it can be a pain in the a** and i dont feel like dealing with it. :)

WoodyCT
07-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I make up my leaders at home while watching the tube, coil them, stick them in my bag, and never worry about being ready if a leader gets damaged while fishing. Tip- use one of these below to pull your knots rather than risk damaging the line or harware by holding it with pliers. The swivel will just slide over the tip of the coastlock, so no need to even open or close it.

If the business end of my leader gets knicked by a blue or rock I will snip off a few inches and retie to my Breakaway clip, but only if I will lose a 1/4 of my leader or less.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Back Beach
07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I tie mine in the basement and hang them from a nail and pull with a glove

You must have city hands, Mr. Hooper...

Back Beach
07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
i agree with numbskull

Please be careful...

Crafty Angler
07-07-2009, 11:06 AM
i make about 2 dozen at a time. like bryan, pull and tug. while their hanging, a drop of super glue on the knot itself.

Me three, except for the super glue

Got an eye-hook on my workbench in the tackle room...and fight the urge to snug up the improved clinch by tugging on the tag end with needlenose

Not using a glove though...hey, not that there's anything wrong with that...:laughs:

FishermanTim
07-07-2009, 12:06 PM
I woul also check the snap to see if the edge of the eye has any rough edges.
I had a line snap at the swivel, and when I checked the swivel I could feel the sharp edge, probably caused by clipping the old mono off with nippers. In a case like that I just replace the swivel as well.

Once I've tied a good knot (palomar or modified cinch), usually the only thing that can break it off is me when I change it due to the middle section of mono being frayed.