View Full Version : ALASKA GEAR UP!

Dr.fish
07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
couple of posts from another of "our" sites:

when finished..according to weir counts 2009 fish should be in above normal numbers...ya that's all I needed to hear to give me countless sleepless nights before August 11. The first time I went there were days when I could not see the river bottom through the fish...THIS YEAR IS SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER??? Have 9 guys going to Lake Creek, AK (wilderness place lodge)this time. WE got some decent deals because of the number of guys. If you go to their blog page there is a pic of a guy finishing a PERFECT double haul cast...no need to ask...it's MOI! . The lodge owner is a fly fishing freak that travels the world (off season in AK). He loved watching the old guy make double haul after double haul to reach some of the big rainbows that inhabit Lake Creek...now if I could have only hooked up while he was there with the camera . He uses that picture in a number of places on his web site(wildernessplacelodge.com)....wonder if I should charge a free-be trip for that!
Old man...Bob...I WILL be using your salmon flies on the silvers, pinks and chum salmon. The kings were a bit to powerful but they should be fine this time!

Spoke to the lodge owner last week there might still be some openings for the Aug 11 - 18 time frame or parts there of. Don't know if they'd apply the discounts that they gave my bunch, but maybe if you mention you're with the guys from RI and just didn't know if you could get the time until now...who knows??? As of now other than the 9 of us there are three other people (all hot chits 2 women one guy) that fished the king run with us in 2007. going to be sort of a reunion...should be one hell-of-a-good trip! The lodge only caters to 16 guests at a time.

Absolutely LU ...Man do I wish that we could get a bunch of guys from this site to go!!! The major problem is, it was for me anyway, is that bass, blues, bonito...you name it...well maybe not football bluefin, all become ho hum. As a matter of fact they ALL take a back seat...mainly because I think that everyone would be awstruck by the true wilderness!!! Just can't explain it...you've got to see it for yourself. If my wife said OK lets move I'd be loaded and driving within weeks. I have not even fished out of Seward or any other saltwater port for the halibut, ling cod, red fish, ocean salmon, etc....not to mention the giant salmon sharks. GEEEEEZZZ I'm wired!!!
Lu...forgot to mention...you remember those 3-4 inch darters that I ho'd from you??? I'll be tyin' 'em just for the Halibut:tooth: to see if a salmon wants 'em!!!