View Full Version : So Is This A Lull?

Crafty Angler
07-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Spent part of last nite tying leaders and eel hooks during the downpour at work and I'm dyin' to go out tonight but nothing I hear sounds too good..:(

Haven't been able to go out in a week or more and I'm looking for the big mo - as in motivation

After doing a morning recon on the Drive I think I'm losing the will to go on...:hs:

Anybody got an inspirational fish story for an old guy on the edge...:huh:

Back Beach
07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Spent part of last nite tying leaders and eel hooks during the downpour at work and I'm dyin' to go out tonight but nothing I hear sounds too good..:(

Haven't been able to go out in a week or more and I'm looking for the big mo - as in motivation

After doing a morning recon on the Drive I think I'm losing the will to go on...:hs:

Anybody got an inspirational fish story for an old guy on the edge...:huh:

Haven't got any good fishing reports, but its a typical summer pattern, IMO. The CCC,NPT and surrounding areas produced way above average last summer so this year seems real bad in comparison when its really been about average for summer fishing, IMO.

Average summer fishing to me is a lot of slow to in between nights with a good night mixed in here and there. You won't usually get big numbers of large 30# plus from shore right now, but you could pick one here and there if you persist. I'm grabbing the eels and heading out tonight too. Not expecting much, but I'm confident enough to think I could stumble across one decent fish.

Put in baseball terms, if you can bat .300 for the summer you're dong well....

.300 to me would mean taking one 20# plus fish every three trips and getting skunked or a couple small fish the other two trips.

RIROCKHOUND
07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Yup.
with the shot at a 30 on the right tides....

ProfessorM
07-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Like Mike said pretty much like a typical pattern. I'll see what fluke will offer later this week and starting next week it will be boat trips for bass in the dark and early mornings. I hope for some decent fish out in the deeper water but every year is different in my usual area. I never expect each year to mirror the last, besides that would be boring. After the great fishing I had in the spring, tin boat wise, which does come to an end eventually I kind of lost interest and am about to get back at it, motivated, so I can relate to your feelings Crafty.

Crafty Angler
07-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks, men - it pretty much confirms my feelings on whether we've shifted into the summer pattern yet...and I've been so busy lately that I haven't been out and about enough to get a feel for it first-hand

Yeah, in a word...July... pretty much what I figured...:smokin:

Well, God hates a quitter - I'm gonna have to start tapping the summer spots

And you guys are right, if you're batting .300 in the summer on foot, ya gotta quitcher bitchin'...:uhuh:

bassballer
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I dont think the weather in June helped the motivation much either. Its tought to thrown the gear on and get out when its raining and cold out.

RIJIMMY
07-08-2009, 12:09 PM
there were tons of fish up in the bay, the bunker have disappeared, I would think there is a mass parade of bass making there way out along the shores. I hadnt fished in weeks and had 4 fish in 2 hours 3 days ago, from a boat but all along the shore in 5ft of water. Its hard to beleive there is a lull, they are around.

piemma
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
There are bunker in the Bay in 2 places I know of:humpty:

Back Beach
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Its hard to beleive there is a lull, they are around.

.....said the BOAT fisherman...:angel:

Actually, the largest percentage of my summer fish in the 80's and 90's used to come from the boat while the surf guys starved. The fish always seemed to be just beyond a good cast from shore. Every once in a while you could connect fom shore, but it was mainly from the boat for me. Also consider I was out selling fish too, so the boat just made more sense from a numbers standpoint.
The wetsuit junkies are better able to lessen the doldrums given the increased swath of water that is in reach, though. Minus the wetsuit caught fish I know of this summer, its been pretty slow so far.

RIJIMMY
07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
.....said the BOAT fisherman...:angel:

Actually, the largest percentage of my summer fish in the 80's and 90's used to come from the boat while the surf guys starved. The fish always seemed to be just beyond a good cast from shore. Every once in a while you could connect fom shore, but it was mainly from the boat for me. Also consider I was out selling fish too, so the boat just made more sense from a numbers standpoint.

another whiny surf guy :sleeps:

seriously, fish were all WELL within shore casting distance, all on eels at night. I think its just the logistics that the fish are moving out of the bay now, there are only 2 ways to go, left or right.......

Back Beach
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
seriously, fish were all WELL within shore casting distance, all on eels at night.

I used to say the same thing, but there were many highly competent surf guys that were falling just short of the active fish and not catching them, even though they seemed to be in real close.

However, feel free to pm me a list of spots to try tonight and I'll let you know how I make out.:laugha: :fishin:

numbskull
07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
This is the time of year that separates the men from the boys......has anybody seen my mommy?

Back Beach
07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
:sleeps:

That's my real problem, I just value sleep too much.

WTF happened to all those close in fish that were easily caught under daylight conditions? I want those ones...

DZ
07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
This is the time of year that separates the men from the boys......has anybody seen my mommy?

That's good!

DZ

ThrowingTimber
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Theyre around just gotta hunt and peck :)

I'm dying to break out the 10wt

Mike P
07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I actually like July and early August fishing in the Canal.

May, and early June, anyone who could hit the water with a surface plug could get into 40" and up bass.

Now, you have to work for them ;) I like trying to figure it out, what stage of the tide, what location. I've been doing OK. I'd probably be doing better if I started to toss snakes again, but I like the challenge of fooling them on rubber.

bassballer
07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
i just started getting gear ready and this enourmous black cloud just came over the island along with some thunder.

Im putting tonight on the back burner.

Crafty Angler
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
i just started getting gear ready and this enourmous black cloud just came over the island along with some thunder.

Im putting tonight on the back burner.

Yup, I was all horsed up to go til I looked north and the sky looked like the Wizard of Oz...:shocked:

Radar looked fairly clean a while ago...I think I may go out for some Honest Work and see if I can't find a few -

And you're right, Mike - although I've had some July's at one of my favorite spots that were as easy as driving to Stop and Shop to pick up 20-25# fish, more often than not ya just have to turn to and earn 'em

Oooops...just heard some distant thunder, may want to check the radar again before going out ...

I dunno, Dennis - I'm thinking like Uncle Zeke woulda said, go west, young man - but not too far west, if you get my drift...;)

Yup, think that's where I'm headed if this crap has passed over for the night...:ss:

Rmarsh
07-09-2009, 06:51 AM
I was thinking about taking a break from fishing and I felt my motivation starting to slip away. This past June had not been very good for me and I was starting to lose the will to go and spend another four or five hours of catching only a few dogfish or sea robins.

After yesterdays thunderstorms passed by I went out and had a very good night. Stripers hitting on almost every cast for about two hours resulting in about 18 stripers most just short of keeper size with a few over 32".
All were released.
One night like that and my motivation has returned.

So Crafty don't let the slow fishing get to you. You will want to be out there when things start to pick up.

Crafty Angler
07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks, you're right - I felt like I was coming down with a case of old yesterday but I think I'm over it

Wanted to go out last nite but opted for a good nite's sleep instead and apparently I took a full charge....:hihi:

Gonna grab some snakes, hit it tonite and tomorrow nite, good tides -

As a guy I knew used to say, you're never too old to rock 'n' roll

Of course, he's dead now...probably too much rockin'....

DZ
07-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks, you're right - I felt like I was coming down with a case of old yesterday but I think I'm over it

Wanted to go out last nite but opted for a good nite's sleep instead and apparently I took a full charge....:hihi:

Gonna grab some snakes, hit it tonite and tomorrow nite, good tides -

As a guy I knew used to say, you're never too old to rock 'n' roll

Of course, he's dead now...probably too much rockin'....

Chuck,
Went out last night after the storms passed. A few fish to the low teens and a bunch of smalls. The beach where you like to go had a bunch that are perfect for breaking out the trout gear and small 4 inch redfins. Took my first bass from the new pond opening on the last of the flood current - that place looks like it could be nice in the right conditions. Only thing is you can't hide there.

Good luck.

DZ

numbskull
07-09-2009, 10:12 AM
I was out there last pm as well (930-230). Got a single sub 20# fish, a few schoolies, and a lot of taps. Considering conditions and how fast the barometer was rising I didn't think that was too bad.

Sea Dangles
07-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I had my first skunk of the year 2 nights ago. I have been lucky to get into quality fish until this glitch with an emphasis on quality and not quantity.The plug bite has been nonexistent for a few weeks now in my world.However, I did notice a shadow trying his luck with everything but the kitchen sink to no avail the same night. GOOD LUCK

Fish_Eye
07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Crafty,

A couple of days ago I kayaked (but spent most of the time pulling the yak as I was diving and filming) the length of Price's Neck to Gooseberry, did a loop around the island, hit Haycock Ledge on the way back and then spent two more hours diving Seal Rock. I saw bass in all the usual places and enough barrel bellied blackfish to make even your knees shake. The water was very clear and it motivated me to spend nearly 6 hours in and under the water.

So get off your can and go out there and catch em up. I'll be diving Nomans tomorrow morning, Squibby in the afternoon and Cutty before dark. Life is too short to think about fishing/diving...just do it.

Mike

bassballer
07-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Crafty,

A couple of days ago I kayaked (but spent most of the time pulling the yak as I was diving and filming) the length of Price's Neck to Gooseberry, did a loop around the island, hit Haycock Ledge on the way back and then spent two more hours diving Seal Rock. I saw bass in all the usual places and enough barrel bellied blackfish to make even your knees shake. The water was very clear and it motivated me to spend nearly 6 hours in and under the water.

So get off your can and go out there and catch em up. I'll be diving Nomans tomorrow morning, Squibby in the afternoon and Cutty before dark. Life is too short to think about fishing/diving...just do it.

Mike

We'll now I might have to make the Price's hike. :walk::walk:

Crafty Angler
07-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Crafty,

A couple of days ago I kayaked (but spent most of the time pulling the yak as I was diving and filming) the length of ***** to *******, did a loop around the island, hit ******* on the way back and then spent two more hours diving ******. I saw bass in all the usual places and enough barrel bellied blackfish to make even your knees shake. The water was very clear and it motivated me to spend nearly 6 hours in and under the water.

....Life is too short to think about fishing/diving...just do it.

Mike

Omigod...Barrel bellied blackfish....my pants are getting tight...:humpty:

:laughs:

Thanks, Mike - I wasn't looking for spots, just trying to find the mo...and I found it last nite before the moon rose...:)

Yeah, went to Alexander's place last nite...but he wasn't around...:hihi:

I just had a June full of extenuatin' circumstances - felt good to get back on track, I'll tell ya...definitely puts the glide back in your stride...

I'll be looking forward to seeing that footage - the East Bay Anglers presentation last winter was awesome...:kewl: