View Full Version : Dreaming of a Zeebaas

SAUERKRAUT
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I have had this recurring dream, often in the last couple of years, that somebody would gift me a VS or a Z, for my arsenal. You see, I’m too cheap to just go out and buy one on my own, and I rationalize that my two 706 Z’s will probably last me another 25 years, with a little help from my conventional tackle. I used to be satisfied with my Penn’s; but now, when I show up at social gatherings like Cuttyhunk, etc., I am embarrassed that my outfit looks like crap and plebian in the racks…next to every body else’s gleaming gold, silver, and black. Furthermore, the sand particle grinding of my Penn’s and the manual pickup wheel bearing groan can be heard 50 yards away. In fact, that’s why I fish eels so much…so I don’t have to do so much noisy reeling in the course of a a trip.

In my mind, this is a feasible dream that somebody should gift me a Zeebaas because I think I really deserve it! One scenario ongoing right now: I am in my thirtieth year of faithful staff physician work for my Hospital. Last year, I covered the ER an unprecedented 85 twenty four hour call days in my specialty, while many other community level hospitals of our size do without. So, I went to the Hospital CEO and asked if the Hospital wouldn’t gift me this reel, as a token of appreciation. He just laughed in my face.

Well, I have other credentials: I am coming up on my fifth year wedding anniversary end of July. I have dropped major hints to wife Sandy that a “Z” or a “VS” would be quite fitting for such a landmark occasion. The Mrs. informs me that five years is not a gold or silver anniversary. Rather, five years of marriage to a fishing husband makes this a “lead” anniversary. Because of my fishing conduct, the only gift I will get from her…is a sinker.

So, here is what happened: Numbskull showed up at my doorstep with a Z25 out of the clear blue and gives it to me. It seems that I am the Godfather of Pete, his youngest son. So, through the years, I would buy a US Savings Bond for the kid at Xmas. The kid just graduated from high school this past Spring, and is headed to Williams College (Numby’s alma mater) in the Fall. It seems that these Bonds matured, etc., and they cashed them in…and they decided they shouldn’t keep all the money!

Wow. Well, I took this gift in a moment of despicable weakness. I confess that makes me an “Indian Giver” lowlife. But what else could I do? What would you do? I was helpless standing before that “Z”, just staring at me…and mine for the taking. I feel like Gollum holding the golden ring, as he turns uglier and uglier, repeatedly whispering “My Pretty”.

It dosen't help, though. In two weeks of fishing with this reel, the biggest bass I have managed is 33". I don't think the fish pulled more than ten clicks of drag on a reel strong enough to land a tuna.

BigFish
07-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Enjoy!:tooth:

Crafty Angler
07-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Here's something you may want to consider, in view of your obviously long friendship with Numby and his thoughtful and very generous gift acknowledging his appreciation of your interest in the future of your Godson.

Were the situation reversed, I have no doubt Numby would do the very same for you and your offspring.

Since I see that you're about to celebrate your fifth anniversary and may well still be interested in having children - unless you married late in life like I did - you might want to get busy in that department.

Upon the birth of the child, name Numby as Godfather - in fact, if I were you, I'd name the child George, regardless of sex.

At that point Numby will undoubtedly begin to buy US Savings Bonds as an annual Christmas gift for his Godchild and when those bonds have reached maturity, cash them in. At that point you should have a tidy sum and more than enough money to fulfill the rest of your equipment wishes, whatever they may be, and fill your tackle room.

I don't think there's probably much chance of litigation, but you might want to check with your attorney just to be safe.

Please keep in mind that we've never had children, since we married late in life, nor have I ever been asked to be anyone's Godfather, which I've always found puzzling...:smokin:

Hey, it's just a thought...:hihi:

Seriously, enjoy your gift - any fish on that reel will be a pleasure given the story behind it...:kewl:

Crafty Angler
07-11-2009, 02:49 AM
BTW, if this photo doesn't inspire tackle envy, nothing will

Of course, at this point in time 18 or so years of Savings Bonds would probably just cover the cost of the custom Kovalosky big game reel Zane Grey is holding...:shocked:

Flaptail
07-11-2009, 07:08 AM
He only did it so he wouldn't suffer the indignations that go with that reel alone.

And of course, now you need to update that dinosoaur of a rod you fish with tp something say... at least 90's vintage.

JohnR
07-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Upon the birth of the child, name Numby as Godfather - in fact, if I were you, I'd name the child George, regardless of sex. :rotflmao: Or name him/her Numby

As a previous recipient of a ZB gift reel (from our angling brethern here) I feel your enjoyment. I also feel the pride that a bunch of nice folk went through.

That said you should know a couple things about the Z

No, despite urban legend, it does not have Onstar and no it cannot run on biodiesel.

SAUERKRAUT
07-11-2009, 09:43 AM
He only did it so he wouldn't suffer the indignations that go with that reel alone.

And of course, now you need to update that dinosoaur of a rod you fish with tp something say... at least 90's vintage.

Flap: I think Numby did this because he was sick and tired of listening to me grinding away on the 706z in the night. It disturbs his tranquility. Or, maybe he didn't like all the grease oozing out of my 706z's at every seam and messing up his vehicles. Or, maybe, it is because YOU have given Numby such verbal abuse and ridicule ever since he got his "Z", that maybe he wants to deflect some of it away from him! Or, maybe, he really likes his spinning tackle more than he is willing to admit in public.

Now, Flap, as to my rods, what's so wrong mounting my "Z" on bamboo?

eastendlu
07-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Congratulations on your Z.George is definitely one of a kind :wave:.Also if your going to put that Z on a bamboo rod make sure you use the correct silicon carbide guides for it as you do not want the bobber to catch on the tip.:tooth:

Slipknot
07-11-2009, 10:22 AM
You're a lucky guy Sauerkraut to have such a friend as George. Congrats to both of you. the fish will get larger soon enough

numbskull
07-11-2009, 10:34 AM
No big deal here, Alan. My kid ends up with a $1000, you end up with a decent reel, and I end up ecstatic you didn't have to guide his religious education. Man, WHAT was I ever thinking? :rotf2:

PaulS
07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I have 5 godchildren. All I have received for not missing every b.day and Christmas w/presents, cards/candy for Halloween and Easter (incl. Easter baskets for the close ones) is a $25 gift card to Omaha steaks.

Numbskull - you thinking of having any more kids?:biglaugh:

Tagger
07-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Congrats Alan .. Enjoy that reel ... if not you can always sell it and pick up half a dozen 706's .. Seriously,, you guys go back a few years .. very generous of George,, thats Numby ..

ProfessorM
07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
nice friend you got there, and I am not surprised by his generosity. and yes that reel is loud as I heard it at the canal fishing with you guys and I said to G. why is that distinguished surgeon guy fishing with such a loud piece of crap.

Joe
07-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Gee ahh....a Zeebass isn't much of a toy for a doctor. The doctors I know have beach houses and collect cars.

PNG
07-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Last year, I covered the ER an unprecedented 85 twenty four hour call days in my specialty, while many other community level hospitals of our size do without. So, I went to the Hospital CEO and asked if the Hospital wouldn’t gift me this reel, as a token of appreciation. He just laughed in my face.

He wouldnt give you a reel :whackin: I have an :think:have him pick a mop and clean that ER:lasso:

Good luck with the reel:btu:

stiff tip
07-12-2009, 04:52 AM
krut...... enjoy it .. but u r right about the 704:deadhorse: . now match the reel up w/ a good 10 ft grafitt rod and join in the 21 century ....as 4 george and the gift ...:cheers:take it say thank u and enjoy it ....its not 2 often u can squeeze a gift like that from that guys colon.:bshake:....cu@ the canal ..

NIB
07-12-2009, 09:51 AM
George is a smart and generous man..
In perhaps keeping you from spawning...:eek:
He did all humanity a great service..

Crafty Angler
07-12-2009, 10:02 AM
The doctors I know have beach houses and collect cars.

Hmmm...I dunno, Joe, that must be in SoCo and on the Island

In Newport, it seems to be boats and blondes, for the most part...:humpty:

Hey, why not - there's no luggage racks on a hearse, you can't take it with you when you go no matter how hard you try...:smokin:

Flaptail
07-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Though a ZeeBass is a wonderfully crafted piece of machinery, as I have fished for years with Numbskull and Sauerkraut, the reel or the rod they use doesn't make a bit of difference as both of those bozos are first and foremost two of the best bass fishermen I have ever fished with and both could do as well with a zebco push button as they could with a ZB.

Rather simply put, it's the fisherman not the gear.

Sea Dangles
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
It's the archer not the arrow
It's the conductor not the baton

let's hear some more.....

numbskull
07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Big Chief Numbskull hunt with crooked arrow this year. Me not so hotsheitem as tall ugly squaw say.....but at least stale bear poop German vegetable doing equally bad. Many moons now Great Spirit in the Sky piss on us, send no striped fish of note. So I go to Moshup's place and stand by rigging rock and ask what must I do and Great Spirit tells me...................."Fckoff, loser, Sandman is your daddy now!". Great Spirit suck, if you ask me.

ProfessorM
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
LOL. Thanks G. I needed that. On break at work and ready to throw the piece I am working on thru my bosses office window as it is getting the best of me
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device