View Full Version : need some help!

jim sylvester
07-11-2009, 10:13 PM
my go to.....gsb 120 1m is literally starting to unravel on me

cork tape is worn so much that it is coming off the blank...about an 14" section below the reel seat

need a quick fix.....I'm thinking shrink tube.....but haver never used it...wouldn't know where to start or better yet where to get it (does hd carry something like that?)

also...would anyone know what size to get to go on the butt of a 1m

want to get it done tomorrow day

thanks for the help guys!!

Jim

The Dad Fisherman
07-11-2009, 10:37 PM
You could also try some electrical tape in the worn areas....just to get you through the season.

Homeys may have the shrink tubing.......Electrical supply houses carry it also and possibly radio shack

Cool Beans
07-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Home Depot should have the Heat Shrink tubing, just get some will fit over and slide on easy, heat it with a hair dryer, it will shrink to make a very snug fit, very easy to use...

flyvice11787
07-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Why not just replace the cork tape? Its pretty inexpensive and easy to do. If it's below the reel seat, you'll need less than 5 feet. Just put a little electrical tape over the ends of the cork tape at the beginning and at the end and you're good to go :btu:.

numbskull
07-12-2009, 05:06 AM
This stuff might do it. Also check out their "flocked rubber shrink tube"
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Other_5/Nu-Skin-Rod-Armor-Grip-Material

Back Beach
07-12-2009, 06:32 AM

That's the stuff. I put it on all of my rods now. It takes less than 5 minutes to do a full handle.

Jim, you might want to make a trip to CMS in New Bedford today. I know they stock the stuff and may put it on for you right there.

RIROCKHOUND
07-12-2009, 07:07 AM
duct tape under black-tape.
2 seasons on mine that way. my glove beats up the butt end of the grip tape...

Sea Dangles
07-12-2009, 08:16 AM
TonyO just put shrink tube on his stick for the same reason. CMS stocks it. I have it on my GSB and it has held up well.

nightfighter
07-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Not to hijack, but my cork is worn away to bare blank above the reel seat (where I hold the braid with finger when casting). Will shrink wrap pass over the seat? Or should I just wrap with tape, or raquet grip replacement?

likwid

I swear by this stuff now.
All my rods have it (a couple I just got will have it very soon).
CMS carries it.

Not to hijack, but my cork is worn away to bare blank above the reel seat (where I hold the braid with finger when casting). Will shrink wrap pass over the seat? Or should I just wrap with tape, or raquet grip replacement?

Conventional.... probably not if it has a trigger, spinning, yes. The starting diameter is more than enough.

Take some measurements if you want to do it yourself and bring em down to CMS, they're very very helpful.
A hair dryer works fine, heat gun (VERY CAREFULLY) even better to shrink it down.

Bobbike
I used it on some poor grade cork I put on my GSB 1202M, I love it, good grip. Many compliments on the looks, I used the Black

OLD GOAT
07-12-2009, 08:40 AM
I have it on a couple of rods from the 80,s and still in good shape. You can double it in the reel seat area if you don,t have a reel seat. Mine is the smooth type

striperman36
07-12-2009, 08:52 AM
FLocked Shrinkwrap.

jim sylvester
07-12-2009, 09:12 AM
thanks for the help guys.....this is what the site is all about

NIB
07-12-2009, 09:43 AM
If I was you,I would not use shrink tubing on your eel stick..:blush:

Mike P
07-12-2009, 10:17 AM
That's the stuff. I put it on all of my rods now. It takes less than 5 minutes to do a full handle.

Jim, you might want to make a trip to CMS in New Bedford today. I know they stock the stuff and may put it on for you right there.

No, he doesn't want to take a trip to CMS today---they're closed on Sundays ;)

But if you're going to drive to New Beffa, it's only another 20 minutes to M&Ds and I think Mike has it--I know he fishes it on his personal SSU.

nightfighter
07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Jim, what did you do/use? Pics? Interested for when I get a round tuit.......

Back Beach
07-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Jim, what did you do/use? Pics? Interested for when I get a round tuit.......

This is what it looks like. A complete boob like myself figured it out in 5 minutes, so its obviously quite easy to install with just a heating gun or torch...

jim sylvester
07-22-2009, 02:27 PM
thats what i ended up going with.....and getting another rod built in the meantime with it on it from the start..

WoodyCT
07-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Electrical supply places, ones that service contractors more so than DIYers, sells the heat shrink tubing in a variety of sizes and in lengths up to 4' or so.

It is more plastic-like and less rubbery than this stuff, but it is very durable and comfortable in the hand.

I like to use it on my butts to protect the blank as I use the rod as a wading staff.

BasicPatrick
07-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Just so that we have covered all of the options (although I am building three rods with the flocked tape as this thread is ongoing:

When a real fast repair is needed OR
When extreme grip is absolutely critical (think skishing) OR
Just another option...

The Montauk crowd uses "friction tape" which is much thicker and more durable than electric tape, goes on like cork tape and the more wet the more grip. The thing to be cautious of is that there are quite a few cheap versions and you want to get the heavy duty stuff made right here in MA. As suggested earlier I believe M&D's may have some or can point you in the right direction.