View Full Version : Truck

ProfessorM
07-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Need a new or fairly new, used, 4X4 truck. Haven't been to a dealership in a dozen years, Any pit falls to look out for? I suck at negotiating, I'm a big push over when it comes to buying crap. I'll definitely bring my wife as she is more the business type but just need some insight into what I could be screwed on.

fishsmith
07-12-2009, 02:59 PM
if the budget permits, I suggest a toyota, any model any make, they last.

MAC
07-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I try to buy american when I can. But if I were in the market for a new/used truck, I'd seriously consider a Tundra.

ProfessorM
07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey Dave looking into it the Toyota is probably the only American made one. Ford and Chevy are made in Canada and Mexico. Even in Japan if you buy a Toyota truck it is from America from what i hear. I agree i always try to buy American. I looked at Toyota and Chevy today. I have always been a ford person but their new 150 's are ugly and look whimpy. I need this truck for towing my boat mostly so I hope to stay in the 1500 area, but looking at the gas mileage there is not much difference between the F 150 and the F 250 models of each of the manufacturer and engine sizes.

islander
07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Second the toyota, can you get by with the v6? My Dad has a 06 fourunner that gets 20 combined and 17 towing the boat. I'm still driving my 1993 camry with 233,000 on her, she still purrs like the day I bought her.

PNG
07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Paul look into the guvmints (gas guzzzler) rebate program and see if it fits your situation.
As you know I have a yota 1st gen tundra 03. Tranny probs w/them up to 03 also like the tacos rusty frames so buyer bware. Everything has its issues and to me I miss my 200k silverado...sometimes. This is my first toyota(local chevy dealers fault:mad:)and its a whole different ball of wax. I'm still getting used to the truck 6months later.:grins:

MakoMike
07-13-2009, 06:59 AM
IMHO stay away from the Toyota if you need a real truck. They don't have a real truck chassis. I'm driving a 99 Silverado with 255k on it and it gets 20MPG on the highway, which is where I do most of my driving. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. The only drawback is that the tranny only lasts about 125K.

PRBuzz
07-13-2009, 09:05 AM
I suggest looking at a truck just coming off a lease rather than new: save on both depreciation and insurance. There are some real nice 2 year trucks available with only about 24K miles. I bought this way although that was right before the economy crashed so deals on new may be better?

I'm using a 2005 Tundra to pull my boat and no complaints if you don't count low gas mileage while towing.

chief10
07-13-2009, 09:30 AM
sent you a pm

justplugit
07-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Even in Japan if you buy a Toyota truck it is from America from what i hear. I agree i always try to buy American.

P. you can tell for sure where a Japanese car or truck is made
by checking the vin# on the windshield.

Those made in Japan will start with a J.

ProfessorM
07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Dave how you been? Good I hope. Thanks for the tid bit of info.

justplugit
07-13-2009, 12:23 PM
:wavey: Been busy but will give you a call. :soon: :)

Offshore24
07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I lost my '98 F150 to rot in March.:( Found a '07 Silverado, ext cab, 5.3L, 4x4 with 22,000 miles on it for less than 50% of the new sticker price. I went from 210 hp to 300 hp. From 15 mpg combined to 18 mpg combined and 20 mpg highway. It's loaded and has 1 yr and 14,000 miles of the full warranty left. I'd recommend you look at the young and used market. They're not selling as many of the big dogs as they are the Toyos, but you get very similar mpg and way more room and towing capacity.

ProfessorM
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
That is my problem, rot, 97 F-150 too scary to tow my 19' foot boat now. I am looking at used too and would prefer it. Thanks all for the insight. To me nothing worse than looking to buy a new car other than looking for a job

Offshore24
07-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't get a sticker unless I replaced the rocker panels on both sides. I had 3 wks before sticker was due and it was winter. Cab mounts were going to go next and the the receiver hitch was rusting away in sheets. I remember towing my family 222 aquasport thru downtown Peabody in a hurricaine and having the hitch come off the frame of the family wagon back when I was 17 YO. Made for a fun afternoon. Monsoon rains, a boat trailer tongue scaping across the intersection on the safety chains and then waiting a couple hours for a friend to come and tow the boat home with a pickup. Only thing that could have topped that would be for the whole thing to happen on the highway at 65 mph. I think you're headed in the right direction. It's just hard to get out there and go for it. Too much $$, the unknown of a used vehicle, and used car salesmen.

ProfessorM
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
my sticker is up this month and looks like I may be hitting the beaches instead of the boat if I don't get my rear in gear. Probably could prolong in with a reject sticker for another month but it would be tin boat only and my comm. permit is for my other boat. Man I never cease to amaze myself with my laziness and stupidity. I knew about this situation months ago but as usual I procrastinated and fished. No one to blame but myself.

ruhroh
07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Know anybody that goes to the auction?

PNG
07-13-2009, 02:51 PM
I do believe the sales tax goes up August 1st...

Slipknot
07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
my sticker is up this month and looks like I may be hitting the beaches instead of the boat if I don't get my rear in gear. Probably could prolong in with a reject sticker for another month but it would be tin boat only and my comm. permit is for my other boat. Man I never cease to amaze myself with my laziness and stupidity. I knew about this situation months ago but as usual I procrastinated and fished. No one to blame but myself.

can always tow it with my truck Paul, I'd go with ya

striperman36
07-13-2009, 05:53 PM
can always tow it with my truck Paul, I'd go with ya
I would also

angler229
07-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I know when I bought mine in 04' I had planned on buying used, but after looking at prices I found a new truck for about the same as used one with 20-30k miles on them. Also you just never know how the previous owner treated the vehicle.
Also, I'll throw my name on the list of people happy to tow the boat for you.

Backbeach Jake
07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
I went to AutoTrader.com for my '03 Sierra. 48k, loaded , tow package new rubber. Studied for a while but got what I wanted for what I wanted to pay. Bought from AutoChoice of Peabody. He had a lot of nice vehicles and the place was busy..