View Full Version : problems with finish

justpluging
07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
i've been building plugs 4 about 8 months now and i am running into a problem. i started using red cedar cause i have a ton of it, i've been sealing them with BLO & mineral spirits 60% 40%, i let them dry 4 about 10 to 14 days or longer if it needs,i prime them with bin primer (the red can), airbrush with acrylic paint cut down with water and clearcoat them with envirotex lite. not all of them but some of them the clear has been spliting on the plug and i can peel it off with my fingers and the paint come with it the primer stays on the plug!!!!! bin scratching my head 4 the last few weeks. maybe someone can heip me out

Slipknot
07-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I think it is about compatibility with each part. If you start with oil sealer, stick with similar paints and primer. I have found red cedar sealed with BLO difficult to keep paint on under epoxy clears, Adhesion is not happening somewhere.
Red cedar is an oily wood to begin with so it doesn't take much to keep water out. I know some have had luck sealing red cedar with thin epoxy and heat the plug blank up first.

BigFish
07-12-2009, 08:16 PM
How long are you soaking the wood in the BLO/Mins???

The Dad Fisherman
07-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Try a Scratch coat between the paint and the E-Tex.....I always hit mine w/ E-Tex in the Spray can and then scuff it up a bit with a green scrubbie pad. seems to do the trick for me.

ProfessorM
07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
I usually seal my Red cedar with epoxy. Paint the next day if you want. Warm up wood and cover with your usual epoxy top coat stuff. Very simple process and have had no problems with paint adhesion. With the red cedar they will hook wear faster than other woods but you can't beat the action. When they get ugly just make more.

Hookedagain
07-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Does Alaskan Yellow Cedar have the same adhesion problems? Should I still stay with like products (oil primer,oil piant, etc.)when using this wood as well?

Slipknot
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Does Alaskan Yellow Cedar have the same adhesion problems? Should I still stay with like products (oil primer,oil piant, etc.)when using this wood as well?

haven't had trouble with ayc, it is not as soft or oily.

Ake G
07-17-2009, 07:53 AM
I use lots of Red Cedar and seal it with Petit Old Salem clear marine sealer. Dries "primer-ready hard" overnight.Made to accept either latex or oil paint .

Sealer, then Prime (C2 or Ben Moore latex primer) with light sand after/between each coat, then Paint (Golden's or Createx airbrush, ceramcoat, folk art whatever I have) then Spray Envirotex and then Envirotex lite.

Never ,ever had adhesion or bleed-thru issues.

Only thing that I don't like is Petit sealer is $33.00 /QT. Interlux has a similar product @ $23.00/qt but have not tried this yet. I can seal a ton of plugs with a quart.

Tagger
07-18-2009, 06:42 PM
i use cpes because it dries hard ... not always wondering about my mix (blo/mineral spirits) ... Don't you guys that use these mixtures with mineral spirits, notice your mix always thickening from MS evaporating ? always adding more to thin again .. always wondering where you are in your % blo,mineral spirits ?