View Full Version : Moles.... Help!

american spirit
07-13-2009, 07:18 AM
how do you get rid of them? i've got about 10 mole hills that wrecked my lawn and they keep popping up. it doesn't look like i have grubs, no dead spots. tried bombing the holes, but they just build new tunnels. :wall:

The Dad Fisherman
07-13-2009, 07:57 AM
PM Carl...he's works as an Greenskeeper at Bushwood CC....He should be able to help you

nightfighter
07-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Are you sure they're moles? Could be chipmunks or woodchucks. Lots of their tunnels have gotten flooded in the rains we've been having, and they are forced to dig new ones. Set bait and traps. They eating any of the garden? Have a .22?

ProfessorM
07-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Moles are not real common in our neck of the woods. Voles are but they are smallish, like big mice. You could have woodchucks but they are big and you would notice them. Stick a hose down a hole and see what happens. You may flood them out and then you can kill em. Are you vegetables begin sampled, a bite or two on each one? Woodchucks. You finding tunnels along the surface of the lawn or just below surface about 1 inch dia. ? if so probably voles and cats are great at that. My cats get 1 or 2 a day. Has been a lot of them this year. Voles eat worms and grubs and my specialty Hosta's in the winter. Good luck.
This may help a little
http://icwdm.org/handbook/mammals/Moles.asp

american spirit
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
maybe i got voles. small holes in lawn with tunnels only an inch or so beneath. holes are only about an inch or 2 in diameter.

hose technique then play whack a vole? they run fast?

ProfessorM
07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
croquet mallets work great. Very slow runners once out from subterranean haunts. Like I said cats luv to whack them around.

Slingah
07-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I got em too.....gonna have a party tomorrow :smash:

gone fishin
07-13-2009, 10:28 PM
They are a real pain in the but. I have had them off and on for years. I had some success with mole bait from Agway. You do have to be aggressive and keep at it to control them. I am assuming that there are mounds showing up with their tunnels or burrows between them, I fill the tunnels with the bait. The only way to tell if they are active is to flatten their tunnel and check back shortly. If they are still alive the tunnel will be repaired.
Chipmunks also have holes and tunnels, but no mounds. A pellet rifle helps control them.
I did find that when I treated my property for grubs they became less active.

Raven
07-14-2009, 05:08 AM
mothballs are cheap

Slingah
07-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Im guessing chipmunks for mine....I see em runnin' all over....problem is wife thinks they're cute....how do I get rid of chipmunks quietly?

BigFish
07-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Have Joey G. come over and sit up in your bathroom window.....his pellet gun is pretty quiet!!:uhuh:

Raven
07-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Im guessing chipmunks for mine....I see em runnin' all over....problem is wife thinks they're cute....how do I get rid of chipmunks quietly?

go to Home depot

buy a hav a heart trap

small to medium size

Swimmer
07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Put dog poo in the holes. They will think something bigger has moved in and take off.

Sea Dangles
07-15-2009, 07:01 AM
Give them to Cindy Crawford to glue to her lips.

ktugboat42
07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Get rid of the grubs and the moles will move on. Agway has a grub control product.

derf
07-16-2009, 07:35 PM
for voles , put a stick of jucy fruit gum in the hole .
yea i know ; but it works :)