View Full Version : 104.1 WBCN

tattoobob
07-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Is going off the air, and Mix is taking it's spot on the dial

and a new sports station is going to take Mix's place

this totally sucks, I have been listening to that station for 40 years now, and it is going away

tattoobob
07-14-2009, 05:39 PM
WBCN signs off air in CBS Boston radio shakeup
34 minutes ago
BOSTON (AP) — A major shakeup on the Boston radio dial is marking the end of an era for one of the nation's first progressive rock stations, which helped launch U2 and other prominent artists.
Owner CBS announced Tuesday that WBCN-FM will move its programming to the Internet and HD Radio as part of a shakeup that also brings Boston's first FM all-sports station on Aug. 13.
WBCN began playing underground rock in 1968. It evolved into a more mainstream, album-oriented rock format.
The new 98.5 The Sports Hub will air sports talk shows and play-by-play of the New England Patriots and Boston Bruins. The Patriots most recently were heard on WBCN. The Bruins have been airing on CBS-owned WBZ-AM.
CBS also is moving its "Hot AC" station, WBMX, from the 98.5 FM spot to WBCN's old position at 104.1.

JohnR
07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Was an avid listener for years, stopped listening one week into Howard Stern. Surprised it took this long...

Dwayne Ingals Glasscock

Raider Ronnie
07-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Was an avid listener for years, stopped listening one week into Howard Stern. Surprised it took this long...

Dwayne Ingals Glasscock

Same here !
Listened to BCN from high school days starting around late 1970s (WCOZ also )
Eventually I switched over to WZLX and now listen to Oldies also.
I enjoyed when Howard Stern was on at night 7:00 pm
Dwayne was a riot !
Rangooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnn

Backbeach Jake
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Ever been phoned up in Mass for being a lucky wise guy?
Good bye Rock of Boston .....

ProfessorM
07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Mark Parento too. That signed album I posted on the Cars post in the music section was given to me by him. I can remember dropping a certain substance and going to the top of the Pru to watch them do live broadcast's thru the big windows. The almighty buck is the bottom line.

Katie
07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
A Part Of Radio & Boston History Has Died

:(

http://wbztv.com/local/wbz.fm.radio.2.1084946.html

JohnnyD
07-15-2009, 02:22 AM
When WBCN started to play Dave Mathews Band, I knew something had to be up. While I'm a big fan, DMB definitely doesn't belong on WBCN.

Ever since the new program director came aboard, along with CBS stopping syndication of Opie and Anthony, the station has gone to hell and everyone should have expected something like this to happen.

A sad day.

Raven
07-15-2009, 04:49 AM
if only they hadn't done the sex in church gig....

Offshore24
07-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Started listening when I found out what FM radio was. Moved away from the North Shore in '76 but every time i came back to see the Folks I'd find BCN. ZLX isn't that bad and for a while there was AAF? Damn, now I'm daydreaming about HS graduation and the first Aerosmith album......

Plum Crazy
07-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Wow that's too bad. Why mess with success? I do not know one person with sattellite radio.
Anyone remember when Dwayne locked himself in the station all weekend?
Funny stuff!:grins:

american spirit
07-15-2009, 07:49 AM
do people still listen to terestrial (spelling) radio anyway? i think sirius/xm and ipods are the mainstream now anyway. keep the talk radio/ sports radio for am stations. terestrial radio will be over in 30 years, i think.

The Iceman 6
07-15-2009, 07:51 AM
if only they hadn't done the sex in church gig....

WOW

Offshore24
07-15-2009, 08:02 AM
I thought Sirius Radio and the like were about to go bankrupt. My Chevy truck has XM capability, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for radio content. My home cable and internet bills are bad enough. I won't be adding XM and on-star bills too. I've got like 25 days of content on my ipod and I've either modified or bought all my current vehicles with ipodability.

ProfessorM
07-15-2009, 08:20 AM
I have not listened to music, other than GBH for jazz, Celtic, and Folk, in more than 2 decades. I have not listened to BCN in that long so I have no idea what their format was anyway so them going off air stinks but I probably not a fan of them anyway. Not a fan of commercial radio period. If I listen to the radio it is sports pretty much. CD's and IPOD's are my preference so I can control the content. Didn't think people listened to music on the radio anymore really. Too many commercials.

fishbones
07-15-2009, 08:50 AM
I grew up listening to BCN and FNX, but mostly listen to my Ipod in the car and the digital music channels on cable when I'm at home. You get spoiled when you realize that you don't need to listen to commercials. I still listen to WEEI, but mostly just during Sox games.

Swimmer
07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Had a friend of mine who went to Northeastern that I used to go surfing with all the time. He was a couple of years older and drove a VW. He had an FM radio a Blakpunt (sic?) on which he introduced me to BCN in the fall of "68". It was a real trip listening to it up until 4 to 5 years ago, then it went into the pooper. With the exception of the Patriots games it was worth listening to for quite a few years.

Slingah
07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
sad to hear it go...but dont really care...havent listened to it for years...sometimes my partner at work listened to Toucher & Rich....I'd make him shut it off...too colorful for clients homes.
Commercial radio s*cks....

anyone remember Peter Wolf being a DJ there?

tattoobob
07-15-2009, 07:01 PM
anyone remember Peter Wolf being a DJ there?

Yes I do, funny

My ipod just got stolen form my Explorer last week in my driveway
along with a week worth of music, car charger and Fm signal do hickey

Raven
07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Bob's stolen IPOD i should say......

it's a computer right?

same as a PC - it should have a MAC address- yes

so why then can it not be tracked down?

JohnnyD
07-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Bob's stolen IPOD i should say......

it's a computer right?

same as a PC - it should have a MAC address- yes

so why then can it not be tracked down?

More than likely, it could in theory. The identification information of each ipod is directly connected to a single iTunes account. Thus why if you try to play a song registered to someone else's account, you get an error.

However, I'm sure there are privacy concerns in place, along with iTunes/iPod being proprietary software/hardware. When you connect an iPod to the computer, it's nothing more than a thumb drive, as your PC is concerned.

Apple has incorporated this in their "MobileMe" software for the iPhone. If you lost your phone, you can connect to the web via another laptop and send messages to the phone and pull up a google map that shows the GPS location.

tattoobob
07-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Funny thing about ipods is that it is only good to the computer that the owner has it locked onto, meaning no one else can remove or install songs or pics, so unless you like my music then you are SOL

It is or was old second generation and I should have been looking at getting a new one.

JohnnyD
07-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Funny thing about ipods is that it is only good to the computer that the owner has it locked onto, meaning no one else can remove or install songs or pics, so unless you like my music then you are SOL

It is or was old second generation and I should have been looking at getting a new one.

iPods aren't necessarily locked to a computer, just the music on them is. You can completely erase all the information on the ipod to re-register it with a different computer.

That's why the scumbags go after them so much.

BasicPatrick
07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I worked at a few bahs on Landsdowne St wya back when...BCN reminds me of some good days...some things end and better to end than rot.

Tagger
07-20-2009, 03:46 AM
eehh ,, They never played much Zappa... probably thier downfall ..

FishermanTim
07-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I remember when Dwayne called the jail in Japan where Paul McCartney was held when he got busted for possession of Pot way back in the day. Since he didn't take into account for the time difference between here and there, it made for some interesting radio.

They also had some real funny mock-commercials.
My favorite, to this day, was the promotion of a concert of Ethel Murmon (sic) singing AC /DC hits. The tag line was "she back from the dead for one show only", and they had a cheesy impersonator do a hideous version of "Highway to Hell".

Adam_777
07-20-2009, 05:46 PM
I listen to 101.9 usually but I occasionally hit 92.9 when I'm in the mood for that style.I live in RI so reception is mostly bad but I can't stand Paul and AL.B101 is ok but 101.9 is better.I thought 104.1 was Spanish for a while now.