View Full Version : Barn Island BS

Slinger
07-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Watch out if you plan to launch at any Conn. ramp. The CO's are watching the ramps and passing out tickets to anyone without saltwater licenses who use thier ramps. They claim that use of thier ramps is de facto proof of fishing in Conn waters, even if your heading to Montauk or RI.

Roger
07-16-2009, 07:30 AM
I'm not surprised. I suspected the motivation for ramrodding the license bill was to collect a first year bounty of fees and fines from out of staters before reciprocity kicks in next year.

zacs
07-16-2009, 07:59 AM
That is complete and total BS. Planned on launching there this weekend, dropping the family at sandy point, and fishing watchhill to matunuck. that is totally f'ed up.

JeffH
07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
It's called a Marine Fishing License not a boating license. Don't see how they could ticket you for launching even with fishing equipment aboard. However, if you come back to the launch with fish in a cooler I think you are in trouble as you are now in CT. Sort of like the difference in Fluke size between RI and CT, doesn't matter where you caught them it's where they come on shore.

That would mean if I'm standing on the beach and have fishing equipment in my car I can be ticketed? Don't think so, easily fought as I'm not fishing.

Below is taken from CT DEP Website. Soooooo if you take your kid crabbing for Green Crabs you need a license. I guess we need to stake out the jetties at Rock Neck and Hammonasett State Parks. Better check anyone over 16 carrying a $3 butterfly net for silversides or Hermit Crabs.

A license is required to take fish or bait species. What are bait species?

The list of “bait species” includes several fish species found in the marine district: banded killifish, mummichug, striped killifish, tidewater silverside, Atlantic silverside, sand lance or "sand eels", bay anchovy, sheepshead minnow, and mullet species. Additionally, green crabs, fiddler crabs, hermit crabs, Asian or Japanese shore crab, and several shrimp species are listed as bait species.

Raven
07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
yes
because it always refers to "the Taking of"

and those are technically by definition of the written law
classified as Bait species as per your post

doesn't matter if they get used for that purpose
because your still taking them... it would seem

kids are free to a certain age i think
similar to over 65 ...i'm not sure

zacs
07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
It's called a Marine Fishing License not a boating license. Don't see how they could ticket you for launching even with fishing equipment aboard. However, if you come back to the launch with fish in a cooler I think you are in trouble as you are now in CT. Sort of like the difference in Fluke size between RI and CT, doesn't matter where you caught them it's where they come on shore.

good point. i would be good leaving but not coming back...ugh... how much is that stupid license and where do i get it...@!()*&%@#()*%&@)(#*%&)@#(*%R&@)#(*%&\

JeffH
07-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Here you go, the easiest is on-line.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322716&depNav_GID=1630#MarineLic

ivanputski
07-17-2009, 04:50 PM
man they need money baaaaaad... Screw them, I'll take the ticket on principle... even if its 75 bucks. You might get my money, but it wont be for a saltwater license...

*Quote from movie "good will hunting:

- "when my father used to come home drunk and was about to beat me he'd put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the table and told me to pick one... I picked the wrench..."

-"why?"

- "Cuz F**K HIM..."

BasicPatrick
07-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Your local fishing club should have the info via their political guy. Good clubs should have given their members a heads up. If your not a member and do not read the info when the regs are written you give up the right to complain. See your local fishgin club for help.