View Full Version : tube and worm

Mr Kav
11-14-2000, 10:06 AM
Does anyone out there use the tube and worm technique. I have fished it a bunch of times these past few years and I think I could be doing alot better than I have been. I have caught some fish using this method but I think there is always room for improvment. Most of the fish I have caught were within a few minutes of putting the tube over the side, I have noticed that when I drag them for any period of time I notice that the worm is cut off where I inserted the hook so i am left with only a very small piece remaining. I think it is being cut off when the tube pinches against the hook. does anyone understand this problem? How far do you let the hook extend past the end of the tube? Are you using trolling sinkers ? Thanks for any help you can give.

Slipknot
11-14-2000, 02:08 PM
Mr. Kav, first I use lead core line when trolling tube and worm. The tube should only cover the hook partially, I doubt the tube can knock the worm off. How are you hooking the worm? I usually have no problem with them staying on, just hook once sideways just behind the head. I try to keep the worm down to about 3-6 ft. off the bottom and go as slow as possible. Do you use the really long worms? , they are great for trolling.

Mr Kav
11-14-2000, 02:28 PM
Slipknot, I slide the hook down the top of the worms head about I inch then out the side leaving the the long worm dangling. that is when I think the tube slides to the hook and pinches off the worm. I was thinking of putting a small piece of wire through the tube and then through the eye of the hook so the tube and the hook will stay put. As for the leadcore line I was thinking of using a lead core set up or a straight wire setup for trolling but I have been using trolling sinkers instead. Do you really think the lead core makes a big difference? Do you spool the whole reel with it or are you using backing as well? Thanks for your reply.

Slipknot
11-14-2000, 02:50 PM
Do you use mono or braid with the trolling sinkers? The leadline is easier for me and depending on the size reel, there should be backing on it first then the whole spool of leadcore. I troll in various depths so counting colors and paying close attention to the depthsounder keeps the bait in the strikezone.

Fisherwoman
11-15-2000, 02:41 PM
Hi Mr Kav, Baitcaster and I do alot of tube and worming, we use both mono and lead core line, as for the worm, we insert the hook thru the mouth of the worm down about and inch and out thru the side, most of the time we loose the worm due to a short strike from a fish, which usually makes the worm seperate from where you went thru the worm with the hook. This has happened to us many times. We only leave half of the hook exposed from the tube, we run wire thru the tube and then attach the hook as this is a good thing to have if you run into any blues, even though they may cut thru the tube, they can't cut the wire. We also use a rubber core sinker at the top of the tube, to help get it down, and if we need to get it deeper we use a trolling weight attached to the snap at the top of the tube. The reason we use both mono and lead core is we will troll both rods at the same time, one will run deep and one will run shallow as to locate the fish, this will better your chances. The reel we put the lead core line on has about 30 yards of 50 lb test braided line for backing and 100 yards of lead core. But as Slipknot said you need to see how much line your reel is rated for. Also, when you troll with mono, one of the biggest problems you will get is line twists, big time, so make sure you use really good ball bearing swivels at the top of the tube to cut down on the line twisting so much as you are trolling. Hope this helps!!!!!

Mr Kav
11-15-2000, 04:25 PM
Fisherwoman, Thanks so much for your advise. I will now say that all those times that only a piece of worm was left on my hook that a fish had taken the rest. Even though I don't think that was the case it is making feel better. haha. I have a feeling that I have to elongate the distance between the bottom of the hook and the bottom of the tube, ( if that makes any sense). In other words like you suggested have the tube come half way down the shank of the hook. I am almost finished winterizing and shrink rapping my boat for its winter hibernation, I think one more weekend and I'll be done. I heard you say once that you put in at the town river some where I also am over in the town river, I'm at the TRYC.

JohnR
11-16-2000, 08:32 AM
Mr Kav,

Are you a Quincy resident? There are some good shore bound spots but that area can be pretty stinkin' good boat fishing...

'Later...

Mr Kav
11-16-2000, 11:19 AM
John R, No I am not a Quincy resident but I've had a slip in the town river for 3 years and I used to trailor my old boat to the back river boat ramp and go out from there. it's great now I get alot more fishing time now that it is left in the water. By the way I just wanted tell you that I really enjoy this web site that you created here. It makes it much easier to ask questions when you are dealing with a group of people so passionate and knowledgeable about their favorite sport. thanks again

JohnR
11-16-2000, 12:26 PM
Thanks, my pleasure. It makes me very happy to see the quality of people that make it here...

John