View Full Version : Last night made the long ride east down memory lane....

redlite
07-18-2009, 03:05 PM
.........And it was replenishing to the soul.
Went down the Cape for the first time in 4 years last night. God how I miss what it used to be out there.
Ran through all my old haunts in Wellfleet and Truro before sun down. Only saw one seal at each beach, not the herds like used to be. Water was clean. Felt good to smell the pine and salt air again. I could feel my heart skip a beat with anticipation as I drove down the roads off route 6. Felt invigorating to feel the soft sand down there, stand up to my knees in the mighty back beach waters and feel the sand wash between my bare toes with the waves...
Got to watch some nice fireworks for Truro's 300th birthday....Saw some old friends that I had not seen in years.......Had the customary nasty thunderstorms roll in. Drove through the lots of all the beaches late. Not A SOUL. Was impressed with the police and park ranger presence even at the town beaches. It was darker than inside a bulls butt.
Made one quick cast at Ballston for old time sake then ran like hell from the lightening back to the truck and drove home about 2 this morning. Was different to not need an eel rag. Just pitch it in the sand and grab it like old times.
God how I missed it.
Back to the wetsuit and korkers.........

tynan19
07-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Mike, one of the first times I fished with you was on that beach with TO and Sinni. That is one special place. Glad you had a great night. Wife just picked up a wetsuit so I will be towing her out to a rock one of these nights.

piemma
07-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Mike:
I have a tear in my eye. How I miss the Back!! The old friends and the unreal fishing.

I remember being at Ballston one night in front of the big dune on the left (not a spot burn because the sand bar moves every year). The date was Aug 16, 1994. I had too many 30s and 40s to count. I ran out of eels around false dawn and dragged a 45 and a 48 back to the truck. (pounds for the youngsters not inches):drool:

I remember walking into Murats that morning around 8 and Dave Hammock just looked at me and said "well, that's the way the Cape use to be." This was right after the moritorium and there just were not fish like that in RI except at the Block.

Slingah
07-18-2009, 08:11 PM
thanks for the call and thinking of me....I sure miss it too...lots of good memories....:uhuh: man you used to get so jacked up on that redbull....oh wait, you still do:rotf2:
we should have at least a yearly get-together down there...fish or no fish

5/0
07-18-2009, 08:55 PM
It's been years since I fished them Beach's with To,Seni and Yohan it's pretty remarkable wading out there in the surf watching the shooting stars,ships pass by and the roar of the surf.

Finlander
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
It's been a few years now for me as well, miss the back side and the good old nights when throwing an eel was like feeding worms to the bluegills off the dock, pre-seal days. Love the cape live an hour closer now hope to make it up to Race Pt once we start getting those strong cold front and wind to drive the fish onto the beaches.

piemma
07-20-2009, 12:09 PM
The Second Rip use to be "killer" on a NE blow!!

SAUERKRAUT
07-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Wife just picked up a wetsuit so I will be towing her out to a rock one of these nights.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Tynan, WHERE did you find a wife like that? I can't even get mine to take a daytime pleasure cruise in my 190 Whaler...it's always too something: too fast, too bumpy, too open, too noisy, too few handholds (actually none), too few seats (actually none), too etc.

numbskull
07-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Alan, if you had a wife that liked to fish, you'd become one helluva golfer.

Sea Dangles
07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Alan, if you had a wife that liked to fish, you'd become one helluva golfer.

X2

2na
07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm still livin' the dream