View Full Version : I get ready to fish a little of the dropping tide when...

Swimmer
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Actually I make my first cast at the end of Bell Road, on the best rock, (because no one was there, parking lot completely empty)when this guy and his entourage of four children and one other adult male walks up and starts to regale me with his fishing prowess. Starts in with how he belongs to the Worcester Surfcasters and he fishes the canal all the time. He tells me what kind of gear he uses, and then asked me if I fish around the corner.

Now I hook up on the first cast and I am gently pulling in this not so big fish. This guy is giving his entourage the play by play, even pointing out that it was probably a bluefish and not to big. Well it was a striper and wasn't to big. Thought my wife was with me for a minute. But anyway, after I throw it right back, the guy asked me don't you eat them, my reply was"not that small (26 inches probably)".

The guy sits right down behind me on the flat rock right in front of the bushes. I stare at him for a minute and decide I am not moving, so I hope he knows where the Tobey is. He stayed there
sitting within 12 inches of my white four ounze Ronzee backcast for fifteen minutes, and thats with the ten footer. If I had been using the 11 1/2 footer I would have been cleaning his ears with my backcast. He was either slightly intoxicated or somewhat ignorant. He didn't have any gear with him, they were just out for a walk.

ProfessorM
07-21-2009, 08:26 AM
"thought my wife was with me for a minute" :biglaugh:

Raven
07-21-2009, 08:30 AM
worse than seals

fishbones
07-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I didn't realize they did any surfcasting in Worcester. Why doesn't SB.com have a Central Mass leg at Lake Quinsigamond?

Swimmer
07-21-2009, 11:39 AM
"thought my wife was with me for a minute" :biglaugh:

I almost asked him if his name was Beverly. I ahve done that before Paul.

BigFish
07-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Frank....should have asked him to A. Shut the hell up and B. To move his stupid ass out of the way!!!

I always get the braggers!!! I don't care about their life story for crying out loud!!!!:smash:

Raven
07-30-2009, 06:28 AM
I didn't realize they did any surfcasting in Worcester. Why doesn't SB.com have a Central Mass leg at Lake Quinsigamond?

the hell with trout...

Stock the Quinsig with striped bass.... :happy:

then Woostah would have something....goin on!

Mike P
07-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Now you know why people around here refer to Bell Rd as Bourne's version of King Richard's Faire :biglaugh:

Spend a summer there and you'll see everything--multiple times.

It's been that way for as long as I can remember. Back in the 60s, when I was a kid, many of the old bread-wagon buggy crew fished there when the beaches were slow, and some of those guys were real hoots. Let's just say that attitudes about drinking in public were a lot different then.

nightfighter
07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I didn't realize they did any surfcasting in Worcester.

Actually, the city has a long history of high liners.... Flap can pick it up from here. He's known many of them, I believe.

fishbones
07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Actually, the city has a long history of high liners.... Flap can pick it up from here. He's known many of them, I believe.

I was just messing around. It seems funny to me that there's a surfcasting club in a city over an hour form the nearest surf.

On a side note, my grandfather and uncle used to fish the canal years ago with a group of guys from Worcester. And I remember reading a story by Flaptail in which I think he writes about being a young man driving down to the cape from Worcester to fish.

luds
07-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I was just messing around. It seems funny to me that there's a surfcasting club in a city over an hour form the nearest surf.

On a side note, my grandfather and uncle used to fish the canal years ago with a group of guys from Worcester. And I remember reading a story by Flaptail in which I think he writes about being a young man driving down to the cape from Worcester to fish.

You're not even aloud to joke about Worcestor and surfcasting. That's just how it is. Bow down. :uhuh:

More on topic: There seem to be 100 of of the type of yahoos Swimmer describes at the canal every time I go. That's probably the main reason I don't go there that much.

Swimmer
07-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Now you know why people around here refer to Bell Rd as Bourne's version of King Richard's Faire :biglaugh:

Spend a summer there and you'll see everything--multiple times.

It's been that way for as long as I can remember. Back in the 60s, when I was a kid, many of the old bread-wagon buggy crew fished there when the beaches were slow, and some of those guys were real hoots. Let's just say that attitudes about drinking in public were a lot different then.

Yah, Mike, I think at times it does resemble a barroom. Everyone behaVES, BUT the beer companies could film commercials there.

beaver
07-30-2009, 01:41 PM
I was there one morning, all by myself, when a car pulls into the empty parking lot right next to my car. After I try and discretely catch and release two fish, the driver of the car comes down and fishes about 20 feet from me. Mind you I was the only one fishing until he came down.

He was an older gentleman so maybe he just wanted to be close in case he needed some help (which I could have given if he was say 50 ft away), but that was a little too close. If I had begin to cast lefty there was a good chance I could have swung it right by his nose he was that close. We ended up getting into some fish though with no problems so I really didn't mind. I mean there are no fish in the canal.

Mike P
07-30-2009, 04:47 PM
You're complaining about a guy 20' away? There are times when I'd give my left nut for that much room :)

At Bell Rd, at least you don't have to duck for the road casters :doh:

gone fishin
07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
You're complaining about a guy 20' away? There are times when I'd give my left nut for that much room :)

At Bell Rd, at least you don't have to duck for the road casters :doh:

How true. Anyone read about the woman Who fell in at Bell Road? she was damn lucky to have someone see her at mid chanel, and have a guy help with the rescue.:uhuh:

Mike P
07-31-2009, 09:08 AM
How true. Anyone read about the woman Who fell in at Bell Road? she was damn lucky to have someone see her at mid chanel, and have a guy help with the rescue.:uhuh:

She didn't fall in--she jumped off the end of the RR bridge fixed approach span. She apparently has a history of half-hearted suicide attempts. I'm told that the police found a couple of empty vodka bottles in her car, too.

gone fishin
07-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks Mike - that explains a lot. Sorry Soul, I hope she gets help.