View Full Version : Swimming with your rod?

numbskull
07-27-2009, 07:01 PM
So I did a little of this the other night.....pretty comical result.

How do you guys hold the rod while swimming? I tried my teeth, but the foam grips now have an identifying bite pattern should my rod be stolen (by some short blind guy since I wrap 'em myself).
Do you use fins?
Do you use a lanyard on the rod?
Anybody plug doing this? How are you dealing with landing and unhooking a fish full of trebles?

Flaptail
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Being short certainly does have it's disadvantages doesn't it?:laughs:

eelskimmer
07-27-2009, 08:47 PM
here's to swimin'
with naked wimen.

Slipknot
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
flyrod rod holder strapped to your belt, run rod over your shoulder

JohnnyD
07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Being short certainly does have it's disadvantages doesn't it?:laughs:

Story of my life...:doh:

tynan19
07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
If swimming to a rock. Hold it in right hand almost at a 45 angle to the water with the tip in front of you. Extend your left hand out in front of your body towards the way you are going and use it to pull you along. Also use your legs to perform a scissor kick. Basically the same stroke that a lifeguard would use to rescue a person.

piemma
07-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Buy a Kayak!!!:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

Raven
07-28-2009, 05:42 AM
If swimming to a rock. Hold it in right hand almost at a 45 angle to the water with the tip in front of you. Extend your left hand out in front of your body towards the way you are going and use it to pull you along. Also use your legs to perform a scissor kick. Basically the same stroke that a lifeguard would use to rescue a person.

i believe that's called the Australian Crawl....

My favorite way to swim because while on your right side your head is mostly out of the water.....

your left hand pulls water down from about your chin....
and your right hand reaches way up
and pulls water wider to your right...

RIROCKHOUND
07-28-2009, 05:43 AM
Anybody plug doing this? How are you dealing with landing and unhooking a fish full of trebles?

say it w/ me......

E E L S......................................

:smash::smash:

Back Beach
07-28-2009, 06:29 AM
I hold the rod over my shoulder like I'm marching with a rifle. My reel is out of the water and I'm nearly upright in the water. My 7mm suit floats real high. Kick with your feet and paddle with your free hand. Most important thing is to relax once you're floating and control your breathing. I would say the less effort you put into swimming the easier it is. I learned all of this the hard way, of course.

Clogston29
07-28-2009, 06:32 AM
pretty much what tynan said. side stroke. if you get tired, just float on your back for a while. sometimes at the end of the night i'll just float around for a while, especially if its hot out and relatively calm.

as for plugs, i typically stick with eels or jigs if i'm submerged or on a rock so small that I can't place a fish on it with me. when I throw plugs, i crush the barbs and typically avoid big jointed plugs - they scare :err: me

are you trying to swim with conventional? that would be tougher since you have to keep it dry. i've tried once or twice and it was too much of a pain. plus i suck with a conventional and i don't need birds nests while away from shore.

surfbear
07-28-2009, 07:05 AM
The guy I saw called it skishing and he used fins, but I didn't see a lanyard on his rod. I did notice that he did swim out lying on his back. He looked like a buoy when he cast.

Crafty Angler
07-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Numby, if the good Lord had intended that you swim to your spot, He would have given you 5mm thick skin and left the prehensile tail intact as a rod-holder...:smokin:

Mike P
07-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Numby, if the good Lord had intended that you swim to your spot, He would have given you 5mm thick skin and left the prehensile tail intact as a rod-holder...:smokin:

You are a wise man, Uncle Crafty.

If I wanted to fish that far off the shingle, I'd buy a boat. :biglaugh:

Pt.JudeJoe
07-28-2009, 08:26 AM
You are a wise man, Uncle Crafty.

If I wanted to fish that far off the shingle, I'd buy a boat. :biglaugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler
Numby, if the good Lord had intended that you swim to your spot, He would have given you 5mm thick skin and left the prehensile tail intact as a rod-holder...

Hmmm ...:devil2: could be the genesis of a "wetsuit fish don't count" movement.

Mike P
07-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Angler
Numby, if the good Lord had intended that you swim to your spot, He would have given you 5mm thick skin and left the prehensile tail intact as a rod-holder...

Hmmm ...:devil2: could be the genesis of a "wetsuit fish don't count" movement.

Naw, it's a "to each his own" movement. :rotf2:

Wetsuiting to a rock is still surf fishing. Skishing, on the other hand......:confused: ;)

GattaFish
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Scissor kick.....no fins,,, Also have a small lanyard on my rod that I took off a dive light,,, Just gives me the small sense of security when I am trying to swim,,,,,,

I also do the float thing like Josh, if it is hot or if I get a little tired... I try not to rush when swimming,,,, Take your time, drink lots of water and be careful not to cramp up,,,,

I carry a AS small tall worn on a belt,,, Holds a few leaders, needles metal lips and I am good... If ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g eels small eel bag,,, I keep everything on my belt so I am completely hands free,,,

ProfessorM
07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
G is bite size shark bait.

Rockfish9
07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
The last time I tried that stunt.. I stayed "one more cast" too many on a mussel shoal.. swimming with waders is no easy task!!!... I've since decided a boat is the way to go... to answer your question.. I used my teeth...

DZ
07-28-2009, 12:03 PM
So I did a little of this the other night.....pretty comical result.

How do you guys hold the rod while swimming? I tried my teeth, but the foam grips now have an identifying bite pattern should my rod be stolen (by some short blind guy since I wrap 'em myself).
Do you use fins?
Do you use a lanyard on the rod?

George,
So ya wanna be a boat do ya? Be careful my friend.

DZ

Swimmer
07-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Buy a kayak to put the rod in and then pull the kayak to the rock using the side stroke. That way I'm pretty sure the reel will last longer.

Headhunter
07-28-2009, 12:29 PM
If I am in less than 8 ft of water I actually use my 11 ' stick to push me along. more than that I will just hold my rod and stroke regular with both hands for a bit then turn on my back and kick for a bit then I might side stroke for a bit, turn on my back again etc. The point was made to take your time and relax, and wat ever you do don't give any thaught to looking like a wonded seal for any lenght of time.

Mr. Sandman
07-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Remember you look like a seal in distress while swimming in a wetsuit at night. Water temp pushing 70.

I really don't want to have my wife ask me while she is reading the newspaper...hey...isn't this the guy we knew on the cape?

Finaddict
07-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Remember you look like a seal in distress while swimming in a wetsuit at night. Water temp pushing 70.

I really don't want to have my wife ask me while she is reading the newspaper...hey...isn't this the guy we knew on the cape?

here here ... agree ...

Pete F.
07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
read this:http://www.edgeangling.com/forums/general-fishing-forum/14-wetsuit-fishing.html
and I'd search surfrats

Tagger
07-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I'd practice in a swimming pool first .. Was your dog swimming behind you ?