View Full Version : Calico crabs/ lure?

ivanputski
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I always check the stomach of any bass I keep, and 90% of them have calico crabs in their stomach... This morning I found one with a 4 inch body in a bass's stomach. I am a frequent user of eels, but I am really starting to think that Calico crabs are a stripers favorite food, maybe due to how easily thay can be caught by a fish, as opposed to chasing a baitfish. Have any of you tried that little crab swimming lure? Not sure who makes it, but its the only one I've seen... Only drawback is its apparent lack of shore-castability... Any of you had any success with crab imitations?

danno1
07-27-2009, 07:17 PM
I just bought one (CW Crab). It does look kinda "flimsy" for casting. Will post the results.

UserRemoved1
07-28-2009, 04:33 AM
For a plastic lure they work pretty well

Man it took alot to say that :hee:

Raven
07-28-2009, 04:59 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/CalicoCrabTN.jpg:fishin:

DZ
07-28-2009, 08:31 AM
I always check the stomach of any bass I keep, and 90% of them have calico crabs in their stomach... This morning I found one with a 4 inch body in a bass's stomach. I am a frequent user of eels, but I am really starting to think that Calico crabs are a stripers favorite food, maybe due to how easily thay can be caught by a fish, as opposed to chasing a baitfish. Have any of you tried that little crab swimming lure? Not sure who makes it, but its the only one I've seen... Only drawback is its apparent lack of shore-castability... Any of you had any success with crab imitations?

Ivan,
One thing I learned long ago was that when the bass are grubbing crabs and lobster its time to use eels. As soon as I saw that bass had crabs in their stomach I switched to eels. Bass that are actively grubbing crustaceans have their heads down and often ignore plugs. During those times you have to get your presentation at their eye level - best way to do that is with eels or baits. I'm sure a fake crab/lobster will work at times but IMO the eel will produce better results. Another method that will work is picking up crabs as you wade and using them(without weight) - cast them out - let them settle - and move them along slowly with pauses. Too much work for me though.

DZ

ivanputski
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the input DZ...