View Full Version : Need a new surf rod!

surfbear
07-28-2009, 06:55 AM
I just broke my 9' loomis in the car door. What is the best Lami (spinning) to use on the South Shore of L.I.? It will be mostly open beach and jetty fishing with lures to about 3 oz. There are so many to chose from so I'm looking for help.
Thanks,
Ted

JohnR
07-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Best bang for buck? Most expensive?

Why only Lami?

surfbear
07-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Your right, it doesn't have to be a lami and price doesn't really matter too much but I do need it for the weekend.

Mike P
07-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Well, if you need it for the weekend, you certainly can't order a custom. Unless you know of a shop that sells pre-wrapped "customs" (quotes are because they're not built to your specs and thus not true customs) I would suggest a Lami SS 101 MS or 101 MHS.

The Supersurfs have better components, as off the rack factory rods, than either the Surf & Jetty or Arra series.

The MS should be enough stick. I'd suggest the MHS only if you're going to be throwing a lot of heavy bucktails from the jetties at Moriches and Shinnecock.

beaver
07-28-2009, 09:51 AM
I second the Super Surf. SS 91 MHS (I think) is the one piece, 9 foot rated 1to 4oz but is probably better off sticking with 3 oz plugs. Probably one of the best factory rods you can get, hence the 300 and something dollar price tag. I have one and it definitely gets the job done.

Mr. Sandman
07-28-2009, 09:52 AM
For a commercial rod: Why not go with Shimano's Tiralejo surf spin rod? Over the counter guarantee. (even for car doors, I think) has adjustable reel seat, nice grips, even internal counter balancing weights you can add. They are very strong, come in 1 and 2 pc and are set up for braid. About 2 bills. Another good choice is St. Croix premier series...good guarantee and great rod but a little pricey IMO. I have last years model and use it as a back up or when I travel, it feels like the arra but has a better guarantee. Lamiglas has a very subjective "guarantee", your mileage will vary.

For a custom rod: The super surf is nice but has a different feel then the arra. Feel one made before you buy one. Very light but strong. You probably want to go with a heavier action, I think the rating is a slightly off IMO. I have a couple of them and like them but it took me a few trips to tweak my casting style slightly from the arra to get the most out of them. They are actually easier to cast with. I enjoy fighting fish on them.

Adam_777
07-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Spend 50 or 65 on the loomis xpeditor and get another one.You can buy any other rod but you'll always miss that one.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis/en/g__loomis_homepage/customerservice/warrantyinformation/xpeditorinformation.html

Bill L
07-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Spend 50 or 65 on the loomis xpeditor and get another one.You can buy any other rod but you'll always miss that one.

What he said, you should replace it for the expeditor cost, even if you get another rod too. I assume the 9'er was the SUR1084, that has been replaced with the 1064 (2" shorter for shipping reasons), should be very similar though

surfbear
07-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try for the xpeditor program tonight. Hopefully they can get the rod to me by Friday. Thanks again guys.