View Full Version : Sox make an offer for Halliday

FishermanTim
07-28-2009, 04:00 PM
According to yahoo sports, they are offering Clay Buchholz, Michael Bowden and Ryan Westmoreland.

If this is accepted, I hope it isn't another Eric Gagne fiasco.

The Dad Fisherman
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
If this is accepted, I hope it isn't another Eric Gagne fiasco.

Thats always the chance you take......Halliday has been a solid pitcher for a few years now...he'd look good in a sox uniform.

They also might just be trying to antagonize the Yank-mees too :hihi:

nightfighter
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Throw Dice-k into the deal and keep Bucholtz.......

striperman36
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I cannot believe they would give up on the kid

ProfessorM
07-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I would, Doc is well worth it and proven. Do it right now.

Raider Ronnie
07-29-2009, 06:28 AM
DO THE DEAL !!!
This guy is no Gagne

fishbones
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Gagne was coming off a major injury and reduced velocity by about 6-7 mph. His contract was also up at the end of that season, so he didn't command top prospects. David Murphy had no future in the Sox outfield and what ever happened to Kason Gabbard?

Halliday has the rest of this year and next year remaining on his contract at somewhat affordable dollars. He is also very proven ad has been free of major injuries for his career. He's also a horse who throws a lot of innings, but doesn't take a lot of pitches to do it. I'd give Bucholtz and Bowden for him, but would like them to hold onto Westmoreland. I'd even give up Ellsbury, Bowden and a reliever for Halliday, but Toronto needs starters.

I don't think the Sox will get him anyways. I'd be willing to bet he ends up with the Yankees and the Sox possibly get Lee and Martinez from the Indians.

stcroixman
07-29-2009, 08:59 AM
they need to give up more than that. Bucholz, Bard, Lars Anderson and westmoreland.

fishbones
07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
they need to give up more than that. Bucholz, Bard, Lars Anderson and westmoreland.

I'd be willing to bet 2 out of those 4 players won't be going anywhere, especially in the same deal for one player. Bard is untouchable and the other 3 guys are not what Toronto wants. Anderson may be untouchable as well. They want 2 young pitchers who are under club control for a while. They don't need position players, although they'd probably love Westmoreland. He's got tons of potential.

* Just saw that there seems to be a deal in place for Lee to go to the Phillies. That means the Jays have less bargaining power with clubs looking to trade for Halliday.

ProfessorM
07-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Lee is reported going to Phil's so come on down Roy