View Full Version : EEEEEELS Hook set w/ Braid,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BassDawg
07-28-2009, 07:10 PM
my nephew was using my reg eeel set-up
the other night; 25# mono to 60# mono shocker.

so i was resigned to using my pluggin' set-up
50#Suffix braid to the same 60# mono shocker.

did the regular count (3 Mississippi) then,
rolled the hook into her maw and had a good set,
or so i thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

it was a solid set, true, but after landing the 37"er
i discovered that it was hooked in the roof of the mouth,
or just above the tongue.

i always eat the season's first keeper, yet had it not been my first that kind of a set would not have let me release this 20#er to swim again. so, in the interest of increased odds for C&R, my questions are these:

do you wily veteran's do anything different with braid? set-up sooner, later, same-same? and how many of you seasoned salts prefer braid to mono for eeeeeeeling? it was definitely different and the increased sensitivity was NICE. as always, any and ALL comments are greatly appreciated and THANKS a million for your time, gents!

luds
07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't do anything different with braid although you might not need to set the hook as hard but I still do. Must have been a slobbish fish to bd 20# @37". Nice!

Sweetwater
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Maybe I'm confused by the anatomical description, but a hookset in the roof of the mouth is not a fatal one. I've successfully retrieved hooks fairly deep, especially in larger fish that I can get my hand down the mouth and push the hook out. The fish were no worse for the wear.

But to answer your question, I prefer braid, have used mono often, and I don't think my timing for setting the hook is different. However, I may be setting the hook more quickly with braid only because I'm probably detecting the pickup earlier.

BassDawg
07-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't do anything different with braid although you might not need to set the hook as hard but I still do. Must have been a slobbish fish to bd 20# @37". Nice!

thanks, luds!
22# X 37" fatty!!!

yep, i set it much lighter on the initial
set, then during the first run i put the heels to her!
:bl: :bl: :bl:

BassDawg
07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Maybe I'm confused by the anatomical description, but a hookset in the roof of the mouth is not a fatal one. I've successfully retrieved hooks fairly deep, especially in larger fish that I can get my hand down the mouth and push the hook out. The fish were no worse for the wear.

But to answer your question, I prefer braid, have used mono often, and I don't think my timing for setting the hook is different. However, I may be setting the hook more quickly with braid only because I'm probably detecting the pickup earlier.

not so much of an anatomy thing, SW~~
but because this fish was foul-hooked

it took me way too long to get it in and
it was completely spent by the time i landed it.
then having to get in so deep, lots of blood, and
it was the first keeper of the year anywho~~~

next time, though, i will try to revive it. i would rather
have released her, since we need 40's and UP to climb back into 1st!!!
thanks for your comments, Sweetwater.
:fishin: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :fishin:

Goose
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I set up a little sooner,2-3 seconds, most fish it the corner of their mouths. Just a firm hook set.

MAKAI
07-28-2009, 11:26 PM
rod drop then whack

bassballer
07-29-2009, 10:28 AM
QUESTION: Why set the hook lighter using braid vs mono? Why wouldnt you just cross his eyes no matter what your using?????

FishermanTim
07-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Sometimes the fish will get foul hooked, even though you hadn't changed the way you fish.
I fish with 9" Slug-gos on 1-1.5 oz. jigs on 20-30lb. braid.
The braid will allow you to feel the hits much better than mono, and without the stretch, you tend to get better hook-ups. Unfortunately there are fish that are so "turned on" by the presentation that they will literally inhale the rig, resulting in a throat or even gut hooked bass, even though you didn't (or at least thought you didn't) give the fish enough time to swallow the rig.

Bottom line: It just happens, that's all.

Goose
07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
QUESTION: Why set the hook lighter using braid vs mono? Why wouldnt you just cross his eyes no matter what your using?????

IMO, the no-stretch factor explains why. Not every night they hit the same but the majority of the time that method has worked very well for me.

BassDawg
08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Sometimes the fish will get foul hooked, even though you hadn't changed the way you fish.
I fish with 9" Slug-gos on 1-1.5 oz. jigs on 20-30lb. braid.
The braid will allow you to feel the hits much better than mono, and without the stretch, you tend to get better hook-ups. Unfortunately there are fish that are so "turned on" by the presentation that they will literally inhale the rig, resulting in a throat or even gut hooked bass, even though you didn't (or at least thought you didn't) give the fish enough time to swallow the rig.

Bottom line: It just happens, that's all.

thanks Tim, was down with my pc while that thread was current,
not meaning to bump it~~~i just wanted to let you know i appreciate yer thoughts.
gonna be hitting HIGH tonight around 0200, sum beefy snakes need to meet sum MAWS :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: