View Full Version : Small Black Flies Under My Deck

luds
07-29-2009, 01:03 PM
I've noticed over the last week or so that I consistantly have maybe a half dozen to 10 small flies flying around under my deck which is around 5 ft off the ground. They do not resemble carpenter ants or termite and i think they are much smaller (probably about half the size of an average fly). Does this sound normal and what would be my best course of action to get rid of or limit them. It's a pain in the ass because it's right by the door to my basement/plug dungeon and the likelihood of having at least a few of them ending up in my bestment is pretty good.

I guess I'm considering calling an exterminator but I might be over reacting.

I trapped one and will hopefully post a pic of it tonight.

Raven
07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
use a sticky fly trap.... let it hang under there....
as it gets dark they will land on it...

tattoobob
07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Mike do these flies have round wings, and where is your sewer connection leave your basement, under the deck?

spence
07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I get them every summer, the come from the dirt cellar and fly through a vent into my basement.

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Its been hot this past week so the Body Decomposing under the porch is attracting the flies.....previous owner got lazy and didn't go down the required 6 feet.

justplugit
07-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Ya,sticky fly paper one of the marvels of modern science. :hihi:
Works miracles, should run you about $1.50. :)

luds
07-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Mike do these flies have round wings, and where is your sewer connection leave your basement, under the deck?

Other side of the house.