View Full Version : Cory Aquino

UserRemoved1
08-01-2009, 06:14 AM
RIP.

Wow if there was ever someone who changed the world in our age it was her.

Raven
08-01-2009, 06:16 AM
sell the shoes

BigBo
08-01-2009, 10:31 PM
sell the shoes
Wrong one Raven. That was Imelda Marcos.
Cori Aquino was good for that country.

JohnR
08-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Lots of doors opened for the Filipino people with Cory Aquino. Thanks for the heads up Scott, I missed this.

UserRemoved1
08-02-2009, 09:10 AM
she was a very smart woman. Many political changes were made after her throughout the world.

I would hazard a guess that the Philippines are a very much different place today than they would be if Marcos and his wife were still around.

Cool Beans
08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Wasn't she the ones that closed the US Navy base there?
But also, after the volcano, much of the exchange (collapsed part of the roof) and a lot of the base got pretty badly damaged, a couple feet of very heavy ash really mess up a place. Stationed in Japan, we made the journey to Olongapo often, and was on the last ship to leave there when the base closed.

Raven
08-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Wrong one Raven. That was Imelda Marcos.
Cori Aquino was good for that country.

i never forgot how many pairs of shoes that other lady had...

my mistake.... and thanks for the correction...BIGBO

REST in Peace ..... Cori Aquino

JohnR
08-02-2009, 09:40 AM
She tried to keep it open, according to what is in Wikipedia Many months before the expiration of the Military Bases Agreement of 1947 intense negotiations between the governments of the United States and the Philippines began. These negotiations resulted in the Treaty of Friendship, Peace and Cooperation between the United States and the Republic of the Philippines. This would have extended the lease of the American bases in the Philippines.

On September 13, 1991, the Philippine Senate rejected the ratification of this treaty, citing a number of reasons for the rejection. This was a devastating blow to the Aquino administration, who were strongly pro-treaty and even called for a referendum by the Filipino people; a move that was declared unconstitutional.
The American Flag is lowered and Philippine flag is raised during turnover of Naval Station Subic Bay.

In December 1991, the two governments were again in talks to extend the withdrawal of American forces for three years but this broke down as the United States refused to detail their withdrawal plans or to answer if nuclear weapons were kept on base. (Nuclear weapons were forbidden on Philippine soil.[citation needed]) Finally on December 27, President Corazon Aquino, who had previously fought to delay the U.S. pullout to cushion the country's battered economy, issued a formal notice for the U.S. to leave by the end of 1992. Naval Station Subic Bay was the U.S.'s largest overseas defense facility after Clark Air Base was closed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Naval_Base_Subic_Bay