View Full Version : W2K3

bloocrab
08-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Within a Windows2003 environment.

Workstations can ping the Server using both the I.P. as well as using DNS

Server can ping the workstations using same methods, I.P. + DNS

However, anything Server related...Shares, Synchronizations and Networked printers are unavailable as the Server shows itself "Offline" <icon> on the workstations.

After a Server reboot, all is fine. <for a little while>

Sometime later (the length of time varies) things get "hosed" up again...and they don't see each other. Nothing relevant in the Event Viewer either.

Appears that on the reboot the necessary service is restarted. .../ But, during the "hose up", through "Services", each was restarted to no avail....

Thoughts?

The Dad Fisherman
08-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Any error messages when you try and connect to the shares or print to the printers?

Raven
08-04-2009, 06:32 AM
brings up the "time to live idea"

then there's the "conserve power element" which may
close the connection.... when idle after so many minutes

point being... seems like that's giving you the best clue

The Dad Fisherman
08-04-2009, 06:50 AM
What are you running for anti-virus?

Looks like there is a known issue with Symantec Endpoint Protection that causes this issue.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007102613484948

Raven
08-04-2009, 07:08 AM
he Scores

Chalk up another one

For: the DAD Fisherman :btu:

JohnR
08-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Symantec 11 S.E.P. hoses servers, especially SBS boxes. I have a client that got it for free and it brings a Quad Core XEON with 4GB ram to its knees (and this is after the upgrades and recommendations from Symantec)...

Is this a single server domain environment, multi server domain environment or workgroup?

Install the Server 2003 Resource Kit / Diagnostic tools, run DCDIAG (pretty sure that is in 2K3), see if you can ping the FQDM of the server from a workstation when the shares are offline.

If not the SEP like TDF said, I'd really suspect it is that DNS/AD is failing internally but really need to know more, especially if SBS

MrHunters
08-04-2009, 08:35 PM
is the time synced with DC?

JohnR
08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
So Blooooo - whadya find ?? Curious Geeks Wanna Know

bloocrab
08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Thank you for your replys

As of right now, it appears to have been the AV...:uhuh:
There was a phantom scan starting as a scheduled task, this is why a reboot cleared the problem for a bit, After the scheduled start (which by the way was not listed on the Task schedule ?? ) a second scan would start and eventually hang up the connection.... Did a complete un-install/re-install and so far so good..........as I probably just jinxed myself...:wall:

:thanks: