View Full Version : Taggers Spofford Knockoff Needlefish

DZ
08-04-2009, 07:00 AM
Hey Tagger,
Those Spofford Needles you built have really been working well the last week - had a 30 lb class fish on one last night. When you turn again you should definitly make more.

Good work.

DZ

BigFish
08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Name them "Toffords"......or "Spaggers"!:uhuh:

numbskull
08-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Get him to give you one of his big blue thunder sticks.....heap strong medicine.

DZ
08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Get him to give you one of his big blue thunder sticks.....heap strong medicine.

George,
He gave me a few of those last November on Block. He also showed me how effective they were in the creators hands. Eddy did very well with them out there in the "needlefish proving grounds".

You guys have fixed me up with so many needles I don't have enough room in the bag - a good problem to have.

DZ

vineyardblues
08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
You guys have fixed me up with so many needles I don't have enough room in the bag - a good problem to have.

DZ

Nice problem Dennis, :biglaugh:
When you can, post a pic of Taggers plug
Regards
VB

DZ
08-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Nice problem Dennis, :biglaugh:
When you can, post a pic of Taggers plug
Regards
VB

Peter,
Here is a photo - Tagger needle on top, Spofford Original below.

Dennis

vineyardblues
08-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks DZ,
That Tagger is good !!!

Crafty Angler
08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Tagger's Spofford reminds me a bit of the early Habs profile, too

Nice needle, BI green too - hope you save one for Uncle Zeke, D...;)

When I talked to him last week he said he wants to even the score...:hihi:

luds
08-05-2009, 09:08 AM
I feel like I have seen needles that are very similar in shape to that in shops on the cape. They were made out of plastic. Grand Slam lures maybe? I would much rather have one of Tagger's.

DZ
08-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Luds - Spofford needles are still available as far as I know. They are indeed plastic. Tagger decided to make one in a similar shape from wood.

DZ

Crafty Angler
08-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Ran into DZ and Canalman last night on the rocks and got a firsthand look at it

Niiiiiiice....real nice, Tagger...:kewl:

tattoobob
08-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Luds - Spofford needles are still available as far as I know. They are indeed plastic. Tagger decided to make one in a similar shape from wood.

DZ

Dennis is that needle from the wood Eddie collected on the Island last year? that needle looks great and I can't wait to get mine :)

DZ
08-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Dennis is that needle from the wood Eddie collected on the Island last year? that needle looks great and I can't wait to get mine :)

Bob,
I don't think so - I think he threw that wood out before we left the island because it was stinking up his buggy.

DZ

Tagger
08-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Glad things worked out .. Bob I got yours for this year ,,, also thunder sticks in flo green .. My building has fallen off the cliff .(sorry Bob) Even with no time, I'll try and stock pile some birch to make more .. I find it hilarious , after all these years of studying all the present/past builders ,best thing I build is a simple stick .. never underestimate the power of a needle ..

Swimmer
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I met Mr. Spofford on the Vineyard and actually caught numerous large bluefish on his lures. He was a really nice person. He fished Lobsterville for albies and bones, by himself, most of the time years ago.

blondterror
08-21-2009, 08:38 AM
After seeing this post i had to retreat to my hot shop and turn a couple of this needle design and paint them with the fluoro green and yellow rattle cans.

I made these from some black cherry I have in my shop. Is this color best for night fishing or first light action?

chris

Swimmer
08-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Nice job, BT.

DZ
08-31-2009, 09:09 AM
After seeing this post i had to retreat to my hot shop and turn a couple of this needle design and paint them with the fluoro green and yellow rattle cans.

I made these from some black cherry I have in my shop. Is this color best for night fishing or first light action?

chris

Chris,
Nice job. Use that color pattern day or night - dark or bright.
Good luck.

DZ