View Full Version : Waterproof camera's

Striperhound
08-05-2009, 06:30 AM
I am looking for a camera, looking at the Olympus Tough 8000 12 megapixel. Need small profile that can fit in waders, water proof and shock proof, killed the last one dropping it. What does everyone use out there thoughts good or bad on the olympus?

afterhours
08-05-2009, 06:36 AM
got an olympus sw and love it.

JohnR
08-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I have the 770 SW and it's great. Pictures are fair, beatibility factor is great. For some reason Tynan's shots with the same camera come out far better than mine. His identical camera must be better somehow :huh:

fishbones
08-05-2009, 09:08 AM
got an olympus sw and love it.

Ditto.

Mines been underwater in the pool several times this summer and works great. It has a sliding lens cover which is supposed to be good for keeping sand, etc... from getting into the shutter. It's also been dropped on concrete and has nothing more than a tiny scratch to show for it. Picture quality is good and I've found the video quality to be better than expected based on what I read in the reviews.

ivanputski
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Fuji Makes a saltwater proof camera for 169.00 at wal-fart, but I have never tried it... i need a waterproof camera... I feel I could get much better action shots in the surf without always worrying about the camera, that also has family/baby photos on the card from earlier in the day

KEGGER7676
08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
I have got the Olympus Tough-6000 which is the model just below you are looking at. It is pretty small and I keep it in the side pocket of my plug bag with a lanyard attached. So far it works great but I have only had it since June. Now I just need to catch some big fish to take some pictures of.

striperman36
08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I have the 770 SW and it's great. Pictures are fair, beatibility factor is great. For some reason Tynan's shots with the same camera come out far better than mine. His identical camera must be better somehow :huh:

Face recog software sometimes causes issues with pics. If you turn off some of the software you can get better pictures. I am still fooling around with mine.

JohnR
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Face recog software sometimes causes issues with pics. If you turn off some of the software you can get better pictures. I am still fooling around with mine.

I'll need to look at it...

One thing I have a gripe about with my 770 camera is that occasionally it is hard getting the saltwater spots and the sand out behind the lens cover. Those spots are especially annoying as they leave little blur marks in photos on occasion. Did not notice it better or worse after dropping but maybe I'll have my kid take it swimming in a pool again to give it a good cleaning - or the tub :rotf2:

striperman36
08-05-2009, 06:07 PM
no tub, soap scum is a bitch on cameras