View Full Version : Michaels Harbourside, a date and fishing

mikebanks
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
OK, would you bring a date fishing? She has never been? We are going to Michaels Harbourside and then I was thinking about going fishing. I said bring a change of clothes, and be prepared to have fun. I think it could be a blast. She does kayak. Loves the outdoors. Any ideas where to go fishing at like 9:00 PM in the Newburyport area?

Mike

Joe
08-05-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't know if I'd solicit dating advice from this crowd....

FishermanTim
08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I would put off the fishing part of the date for now, so that you can do some reconnaissance work to find a good "fishing date" spot.
You wouldn't want to plan a fishing excursion and end up having her think that you don't know what you're talking about (because of poor fishing)?
I never hurts to stack the deck a little in your favor when dating.
As they say, "All is fair in love and war!"

By checking out a few spots beforehand, you can come off looking like a pro, and since you will have found a place that holds the most promise, odds are you will catch fish.

Remember, it's a lot like when you take a kid fishing for the first time: If they don't catch fish, they lose interest rather quikly, and if you are catching all the fish, it's over before it began.

Good luck:kewl:

Brian L
08-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Joppa flats isn't too far of a paddle from there

nightfighter
08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Are you alright???:smash: Or desperate? Do the date and do it right. Save the fishing for you. Trust me. I dated one woman, briefly, who I had to answer once too often to; "Why can't I come fishing too?"

nightfighter
08-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Unless you think you can get her to buy you a boat.......

Brian L
08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Depends on the girl. Some are great to fish with, some are not. I'd bring her for a spin and see what she's all about.

luds
08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Fish off the deck at Michael's. I'm sure a french fry on a gami hook will do it.

piemma
08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
DON'T DO IT!!!
You don't want bring your girl/wife/date fishing. My God man, we all need some peace in our lives. Next thing you know she wants to go on the boat.

I have stayed married 41 years by doing the following. I go fishing. She goes shopping.

Leave it alone.:smash:

ThrowingTimber
08-05-2009, 04:13 PM
1. Keep the date as a date. period end of story.

2. Fishing, start light and easy for example maybe try and get out on a half day fluke trip or something along those lines :) If shes into it go from there.:uhuh:

FishermanTim
08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
If she takes to it "like a fish to water" then you have struck pure gold.
If on the otherhand she starts to complain about the time, weather, smells, slime, crabs......etc, then chock it up to experience and leave it at that. (I'm not saying forget her completely, just the fishing part.)

Brian L
08-05-2009, 04:41 PM
If she takes to it "like a fish to water" then you have struck pure gold.
If on the otherhand she starts to complain about the time, weather, smells, slime, crabs......etc, then chock it up to experience and leave it at that. (I'm not saying forget her completely, just the fishing part.)

My point exactly. At least you'll know who you're dealing with. You can choose to do whatever you want about it afterwards.

Jenn
08-05-2009, 06:55 PM
If all goes well and you get a second date then you have a "keeper". If not than think of it as speed dating!

Sorry some of you boys cant enjoy fishing with your woman....:(

Funny too, because most guys I meet tell my husband how lucky he is and how they wish THEIR wives would go fishing with them...

stcroixman
08-05-2009, 07:06 PM
take her to a beach after dinner ,put the rod in a spike and throw down a blanket and open a bottle of wine....

Rob Rockcrawler
08-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I blew it with a hottie a few years back. First date was a fishing trip in soco. We hit the rocks for tog and scup, figured it would at least be guaranteed fish catching and it was. Then we went to georges in Galilee for dinner, ate up stairs and had a nice meal. The tide changed and the water stared to boil. I quickly paid the bill and went out for some more fishing, she wasnt impressed at all, even though the fish were cooperative. She took a couple of casts then put the rod away, went back to my truck and called her girlfriend. I aksed her if she wanted to go. I took her home to north kingstown and beat feet back to the water. First and last date.

Clammer
08-05-2009, 08:04 PM
WELL BUD ;

this is completely opposite of what everyone else has said ;

on the very 1st offical ..ask her out date // the ones before wern,t dates /I see her @ a frat party / maybe ??

I asked her to go fishing / not make .believe fishing >>>>>> towing a boat @ 5 in the morning , launching at Westport & fishing the better part of the day outside of Gooseberry .

the end of the story I married her a few months later & we were married for 36 years . She was my fishing partner til we had kids .&& it was great because she could fish & were commercial .It beat the %$%$%$%$ out of a paper-route .
we still managed to fish together / I remember putting the playpen in the middle of the boat & still fish commercially .
she knew how to fish / she could plug damn good
She won the woman,s division in the old Newport Striper tournment with a 40# that was always held Columbus week.
She busted my balls all winter & many a times she would stick that trophy inmy face .
The next year I took the largest in the whole tourament / I couldn,t go thru another winter .
I still have photos of her last trip on the boat / she was plugging up schoolies as the sun set /smilin like there wasn,t a thing wrong . She did quit early / she was beat /yet she asked me to finish the evening as she watched & the sunset .
Everyone here thinks I,m nuts & I won,t argue the point . But I knew before we even went that I felt something different about this girl & I has to know if fishing would come between us . That whoever or whatever made is .she was a natural .
Jenn . Kacie , your husbands are lucky .. well jenn I know that your husband isn,t into fishing .
But K & C .. the memories you two already have & many more to come / will have you both smilin later in life ;
for 50 years I,ve heard it all / fishing cost us our marriage / fishing comes 1st , etc .
Then , my wifes could give a %$%$%$%$ about fishing but she doesn,t mind if I go.
My wife could give a %$%$%$%$ a bout fishing & I pay the price when I get back .
My wife could give a %$%$%$%$ about fishing & she is so pissy I don,t go much anymore .
My wife could give a %$%$%$%$ about fishing .. I now drink instead .

If I had to a chance to do it over .yes in a heartbeat ...maybe the ending could have been better ;;

for what its worth my frind >>>>>>>CLAMMER or sometimes Mike :fishin:

I miss you woman ><><><

Pete F.
08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
And you thought it was a simple question.

Clogston29
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Any ideas where to go fishing at like 9:00 PM in the Newburyport area?

Micheal's Oceanfront Motel :heybaby:

tynan19
08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I miss you woman ><><><

Mike, well said. Thanks for the thoughts. Hope your words are taken into consideration.

Finaddict
08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Scratch Michael's and take her for lobster at one of the lobster places in Salisbury on the water ... rought, not romantic, but good lobster and you will find out if she is a water girl ... or take her down to Gloucester ... scratch Newburyport ... there's also a great lobster dock in Kittery Maine, only 20-30 minutes north on the water, a beautiful creek, bring the bug spray, but the scenery cannot be beat and the lobster is excellent ... then you can take her to a beach in Kittery and find out her attitude to the water ... if you want to stick with Michaels, then scratch the fishing ...

Finaddict
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
... but also have to say, you cannot argue with Clammer's experience either ...

WESTPORTMAFIA
08-05-2009, 09:45 PM
edited to not be whacked by the thought police :tooth:

mikrok
08-05-2009, 09:51 PM
i'm young so I can't offer wisdom, but i'm sure there are women for fishing and not for fishing. if it's so important to you that you have to test out her feel for the water on the first date to determine the relationship then best of luck :love:

my girlfriend and I were friends for a year before I came to my senses so we didn't have that awkward "get to know each other" stage. I'm extremely confident in us because of that. this summer we were @ a bar in wellfleet for dinner. After dinner, waiting for the restaurant to clean up for the night time crowd she spotted fish breaking and insisted I get a pole from my car. I only coached her that night. she did 100% of the work. now she's really into it. not 100% as me. she's a very busy girl but she has drive. Might even fish together in the keys this winter :uhuh:

bottom line is I didn't force it on her, and there's no pressure for us to fish together or for me to "take her fishing." It just works. and we're damn happy.

The Dad Fisherman
08-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Don't take this the wrong way and I mean this with the utmost respect....but....ARE YOU FRIGGIN NUTS!!!

You take a girl out for a nice dinner and drinks on the water, and the 1st thing that pops into your head to close the deal.....is to take her fishing....FISHING?(All I can think of is Jim Mora saying it over and over again)

If she's an outdoor girl you'll find out if she appreciates fishing soon enough. Just take her out, make it about her, maybe a walk on the beach, and see where it goes from there.

Hell, I'm a Star Wars fan...but I'm pretty sure that would never enter the conversation on the 1st date.

JohnR
08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
WELL BUD ;

this is completely opposite of what everyone else has said ;

on the very 1st offical ..ask her out date // the ones before wern,t dates /I see her @ a frat party / maybe ??

I asked her to go fishing / not make .believe fishing >>>>>> towing a boat @ 5 in the morning , launching at Westport & fishing the better part of the day outside of Gooseberry .

the end of the story I married her a few months later & we were married for 36 years . She was my fishing partner til we had kids .&& it was great because she could fish & were commercial .It beat the %$%$%$%$ out of a paper-route .
we still managed to fish together / I remember putting the playpen in the middle of the boat & still fish commercially .
she knew how to fish / she could plug damn good
She won the woman,s division in the old Newport Striper tournment with a 40# that was always held Columbus week.
She busted my balls all winter & many a times she would stick that trophy inmy face .
The next year I took the largest in the whole tourament / I couldn,t go thru another winter .
I still have photos of her last trip on the boat / she was plugging up schoolies as the sun set /smilin like there wasn,t a thing wrong . She did quit early / she was beat /yet she asked me to finish the evening as she watched & the sunset .
Everyone here thinks I,m nuts & I won,t argue the point . But I knew before we even went that I felt something different about this girl & I has to know if fishing would come between us . That whoever or whatever made is .she was a natural .
Jenn . Kacie , your husbands are lucky .. well jenn I know that your husband isn,t into fishing .
But K & C .. the memories you two already have & many more to come / will have you both smilin later in life ;
for 50 years I,ve heard it all / fishing cost us our marriage / fishing comes 1st , etc .
Then , my wifes could give a %$%$%$%$ about fishing but she doesn,t mind if I go.
My wife could give a %$%$%$%$ a bout fishing & I pay the price when I get back .
My wife could give a %$%$%$%$ about fishing & she is so pissy I don,t go much anymore .
My wife could give a %$%$%$%$ about fishing .. I now drink instead .

If I had to a chance to do it over .yes in a heartbeat ...maybe the ending could have been better ;;

for what its worth my frind >>>>>>>CLAMMER or sometimes Mike :fishin:

I miss you woman ><><><

Simply a Great Lady

Crafty Angler
08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Simply a Great Lady

Without a doubt, Cap - who found her soulmate, a great guy

Rockport24
08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
That was a great post by the Clam-man, sounds like it was a true match made in heaven.

I agree with TDF, take her out for a nice dinner on the water, then float the idea of a walk on the beach and maybe bring it up in conversation that you are into fishing see how she reacts. If she's all dressed up and not looking like beach walking attire, don't offer the beach walk, just take a stroll along the docks there in Newburyport.

oh yeah it would also help if you don't smell like eel slime

Rockport24
08-06-2009, 09:47 AM
oooops :rotf2:

this is one of the nastiest things ever on the board! but funny! :rotflmao:

sokinwet
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
"Funny too, because most guys I meet tell my husband how lucky he is and how they wish THEIR wives would go fishing with them..."

They are all lying to you and busting his .....

piemma
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
"Funny too, because most guys I meet tell my husband how lucky he is and how they wish THEIR wives would go fishing with them..."

They are all lying to you and busting his .....

Now there is a truthful lady.

For the record, I have nothing against women fishing. For my better half and I it just works better if she has her space and I have mine. We golf together, I bring her on business trips and we share everything but my fishing. Plus she hates the boat because her father was a commercial fisherman and she grew up working on a boat. She'd be happy if she never saw a boat again.

I do get her to go out with me 2 or 3 times a year just for a cruise around the Bay. 2:00 AM on the dark side of the moon headed for Anawan is not a place I want her anyway.

PaulS
08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
My wife is always telling me that I should fish more:confused:

Jimbo
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I think you should squeeze two dates out of your idea. Make a night of the nicer dining out place and on another night make it subs on the beach, fishing, watch a nice sunset from the life guard chair. One thing, though, when you take her fishing go somewhere where it's not too crowded. First time I took my wife fishing it was elbow to elbow and I didn't even think that she'd never casted a line before. I ended up getting pissed because when she crossed other guys' lines I had to retreive it. Every cast went sideways. It was a nighmare. Still have that reel she threw down in the sand when she headed back to the truck crying. It all worked out though, 25 years later she's not much on surf fishing but we share lighter tackle sometimes.

Rockport24
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
oh and one more thing, you really can't be that much into fishing if you are asking where to fish in the Newburyport Area! :smash:

Rockfish9
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!
You don't want bring your girl/wife/date fishing. My God man, we all need some peace in our lives. Next thing you know she wants to go on the boat.

I have stayed married 41 years by doing the following. I go fishing. She goes shopping.

Leave it alone.:smash:

Advise to live by....the only thing I can add is AMEN!

Crafty Angler
08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't know if I'd solicit dating advice from this crowd....

I dunno, Joe - there's been more than a few pretty cogent comments so far

Boy, dating advice from S-B.com - who woulda thunk it...:confused:

Plum Crazy
08-06-2009, 12:51 PM
If all goes well and you get a second date then you have a "keeper". If not than think of it as speed dating!

Sorry some of you boys cant enjoy fishing with your woman....:(

Funny too, because most guys I meet tell my husband how lucky he is and how they wish THEIR wives would go fishing with them...

Same here Jenn!http://bestsmileys.com/waving/5.gif I always fish with my husband and he loves me being there.
I have seen more guys dump more women because they don't fish.
These guys just don't want to admit it in the man cave.

I think if I were you, I'd ask first if she would like to go fishing.

Swimmer
08-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks Clammer, nice post.

american spirit
08-09-2009, 07:05 PM
OK, would you bring a date fishing? She has never been? We are going to Michaels Harbourside and then I was thinking about going fishing. I said bring a change of clothes, and be prepared to have fun. I think it could be a blast. She does kayak. Loves the outdoors. Any ideas where to go fishing at like 9:00 PM in the Newburyport area?

Mike

bring rubbahs. you never know when there'll be a chance of showers.