View Full Version : S-B 4 Leg Tourney - North Shore Edition - August 22nd - Grub Thread

JohnR
08-07-2009, 11:46 AM
S-B 4 Leg Tourney - North Shore Edition - August 22nd - Grub Thread

We'll be meeting over by Plum Island, 3PM.

I will bring a grill and some burgers and some other stuff - lets get a Grub Thread going:

nightfighter
08-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I'll bring some cokes on ice and a dessert.

FYI, if you get in the area around noon, there are some real good clam shacks in the Essex area.

The Dad Fisherman
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I'll bring some Corn on the Cob

FYI, if you get in the area around noon, there are some real good clam shacks in the Essex area.

Go to Farnhams....the Best Fries Clams around :kewl:

Rockport24
08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I can bring buns and maybe hot dogs if you aren't arleady brining them John

spinncognito
08-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I'll bring the watermelon and if I get a griller striper or bluefish in the days leading up to the event I will bring some of that too.

DRUMCORPFAN
08-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I'll bring kielbasa & Dennis may have his pulled Porketta or something

nightfighter
08-13-2009, 06:22 AM
bump. Need some more interest here.......

striperjerk1
08-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I,m bringing Dynamites. nice and spicy hot.

BassDawg
08-15-2009, 05:50 AM
S-B 4 Leg Tourney - North Shore Edition - August 22nd - Grub Thread

We'll be meeting over by Plum Island, 3PM.

I will bring a grill and some burgers and some other stuff - lets get a Grub Thread going:

where the fluke is "over by Plum Island"???
not trying to bust balls~~~~okay maybe a little~~~~

that does not seem like a specific enuff location, to me???
and just outta curiosity, who chose PI? that place can be a ZOOO
when the conditions are "right", I NEVER FISH THERE, and it is waaaaaaaay the HELL and GONE from the NShore!!!

i thought we were aiming for Devereaux, bro??? i am sure i can rustle up some grub (steak&lamb tips from McKinnon's and a grill, and assorted hops and barleys). my only conflict is that i have to p/up me bride's Auntie from Logan either that evening or that morning. i hope and pray it IS NOT that afternoon, because then i'd be flat fluked for the cooking/eating/imbibing portion of the Plum Island Leg.

Vic, you coming up to Striper Country?? iffin so, i'd be obliged to show ye the spot we've talked about over the last few years, and perhaps put ya on a monstah or two. that is usually PRIME TIME for these parts. don't forget yer spikes, and you may wanna wet-suit to the very reachable island that reveals itself as the tide drops,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BassDawg
08-15-2009, 05:52 AM
bump. Need some more interest here.......

we are also gonna need some paper towels, paper plates, cups, and plasticware,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
just some suggestions, gents! water??
:grins: :grins: :grins:

nightfighter
08-15-2009, 09:10 PM
where the fluke is "over by Plum Island"???
not trying to bust balls~~~~okay maybe a little~~~~

that does not seem like a specific enuff location, to me???
and just outta curiosity, who chose PI? that place can be a ZOOO
when the conditions are "right", I NEVER FISH THERE, and it is waaaaaaaay the HELL and GONE from the NShore!!!

i thought we were aiming for Devereaux, bro??? i am sure i can rustle up some grub (steak&lamb tips from McKinnon's and a grill, and assorted hops and barleys).

The location is the parking lot on the right side, just before you go over the bridge to Plum Island. It was empty today at 3pm, yet there wasn't a parking spot to be had anywhere the other side of the bridge, including the refuge parking lots. Hey, it was a great day to be at the beach.... so the island was mobbed.

As for who chose the location, there was a thread, with input from many, pros and cons, discussion, cost considerations, and input from some who wanted to see/fish a location they had heard much about, ie. Plum Island. It is only the location of the cookout. Folks can fish where they want. (I for one have fished the outer Cape after the cookouts at M&Ds in Wareham) And Surfland is just down the road.

I have some info for those not familiar here;
http://www.fws.gov/northeast/parkerriver/plan.html
But can someone help me with the nighttime info for access? Almost 7 miles of beach, and the talk at Surfland was that some good fish have been coming in, so if you have already driven there, you should consider fishing it some.

And yes, we need some more help with things like plates water etc.

Let's get organized, or we can just make it easy and go to Bob's lobster...

BassDawg
08-16-2009, 12:59 AM
sounds good, Ross!
and i kinda thought that's where
"over by PI" was. it's a fine place to
meet and grill~~~however i do like

the idea of supporting the local patronage!
no fuss, no muss; no mess, no clean-up!!!
very conducive to fishing our adzzes awwff,,,,,,,,,,,,

thanks for the 411 on the place and why.
doc, YOU in??? luds, clogston, finaddict??
it would be cool to put a face to the posts~~~

JohnR
08-16-2009, 08:05 AM
For Detailed directions go here to goggle maps and choose directions from your location to here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=80+plum+island+turnpike,+newburyport+mass&sll=42.797329,-70.824147&sspn=0.002905,0.006968&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Directions from RT 128 Waltham / Interstate 95

1. Head north on I-95 N toward Exit 27A - 26.6 mi
2. Take exit 50 to merge onto Newbury St/US-1 toward Topsfield - 0.4 mi
3. Slight right to stay on Newbury St/US-1 (signs for US-1/Topsfield) Continue to follow US-1 - 14.0 mi
4. Turn right at Hanover St - 1.1 mi
5. Continue on Rolfes Ln - 0.4 mi
6. Continue on Ocean Ave - 0.2 mi
7. Turn right at Plum Island Turnpike Destination will be on the right - 1.4 mi

80 Plum Island Turnpike - Parking Lot to Right just before bridge

rphud
08-16-2009, 09:28 AM
I can do plates cups napkins forks.... plus whatever desert stuff maybe

The Dad Fisherman
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
i thought we were aiming for Devereaux, bro???

Devereaux as well as a lot of the other locations we discussed charge for parking...at least $10 a pop so we opted for a free place to hold it. Also it is only a 35-40 minute ride to those that want to go to Cape Ann or Marblehead

and you may wanna wet-suit to the very reachable island that reveals itself as the tide drops,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

as a safety FYI for any wetsuiters......the Tides up here fluctuate greatly...between 8-10 feet in height so be aware of this when you swim out to rocks in the middle of the night

But can someone help me with the nighttime info for access? Almost 7 miles of beach, and the talk at Surfland was that some good fish have been coming in, so if you have already driven there, you should consider fishing it some

Here's the info on the Refuge. The north side of the island doesn't fall under these restrictions as it is not part of the refuge.

Last heard parking lot 1, 6, 7 are open to parking.

SURF FISHING INFORMATION
PARKER RIVER NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
6 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, Massachusetts 01950
978-465-5753

A Refuge permit is required to fish on the ocean-front Refuge beach between sunset and sunrise and for vehicle access to the beach as well as walk for overnight fishing. A permit is not required for walk-on surf fishing during normal Refuge hours (sunrise to sunset). Fishing is permitted from the ocean-front Refuge beach and areas of Stage Island, and Nelson Island as described below. Permits are available from July - October 31 at the Refuge entrance gatehouse when staffed. Drive-on surf fishing begins September 1. NOTE: Because permit availability is contingent upon reopening of Refuge beach sections, these dates may vary.

Permits are at all times subject to discretionary revocation by the Refuge Manager.

Vehicle access to the Refuge beach is for fishing purposes only. Camping is NOT allowed on the beach or anywhere else on the Refuge.

PERMIT CATEGORIES:

Night Walk-on $10. Beach access by foot only. Vehicle parking restricted to Refuge lots. Allows for Overnight surf fishing. Walk on permit holders MUST be actively fishing after normal Refuge hours. Permits MUST be with the permittee while on the beach. Walk-on beach access is via six boardwalks leading from parking lots 1, 2, 3, 6, & 7 when they are open.

2-Night Drive-on $ 50. Beach access by 4-wheel drive vehicle. Two night stay followed by two nights off the beach. Permittees must leave the Refuge by 3 PM following the second night and cannot return for the next two nights. (Example: vehicle arriving on Friday night must leave by 3pm on Sunday and could not drive back on the beach until Tuesday). Permit holders MUST be actively fishing at all times when on the beach. Drive-on permits are issued only to owners or immediate family members (spouse, children, parents) of conventional 4-wheel drive pickup trucks or sport-utility vehicles. All-wheel drive vehicles ( such as Subaru Outbacks/Foresters) do not qualify. Permit holders must possess a valid state driver's license.
In addition to the permit fee, a Refuge entrance fee is charged ($5/vehicle, $2 walk-on/bicycle). Annual entrance passes are available.

SIGNING IN:

A Self Sign-in/Sign-out book is located at Lot 1. An air compressor station is also located there and available for drive on permit holders. Every drive-on permit holder must sign in and out EACH time they go off the beach. Vehicles may leave and return to the beach and Refuge during their two night period but their two-night stay will begin on the day of their first entry regardless of whether they stay the second night.

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

Vehicles must have a valid state registration and inspection sticker and be equipped with the following items:

(1) a shovel
(2) a jack
(3) board/jack support
(4) inflated, standard-size tire
(5) tire pressure gauge
(6) Drive-on & walk-on applicants must possess a rod and reel for each person older than 13.
(7) Tow rope

All permittees must carry the permit on or about their person. Permits are NOT transferable but do include all vehicle passengers. All permittee vehicles must display a valid permit decal (issued with the Refuge Use Permit) on the driver's side, lower corner of the windshield.

VEHICLE ACCESS:

Refuge entry is from sunrise to sunset. Vehicle beach access is ONLY via the following:

North Beach Access (BB-1): 4 x 4 trail located .5 miles (.8 kilometers) south of entrance gatehouse (see map).
South Beach Access (BB-2): 4 x 4 trail located 4.75 miles (7.6 kilometers) south of entrance gatehouse (see map).
Foot traffic is prohibited on these vehicle trails. Walk-on beach access is via six boardwalks leading from parking lots 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, & 7 when open.

NOTE: Vehicles are prohibited from driving NORTH of area BB-1 at any time (see map).

FISHING SEASON:

Night Walk-ons begin sometime in July upon partial Refuge beach reopening and continue through Oct 31. Drive on permits are available at this time but can only be used as a Walk–ons until Sept 1.

September 1 through October 31: overnight walk-on & overnight drive-on surf fishing permitted. Vehicle beach permitted all hours.

ADDITIONAL REGULATIONS:

** FIRES ARE PROHIBITED. ONLY GAS (PROPANE) COOKING FIRES ALLOWED .**

Vehicle travel on the beach is permitted only on dry sand but must also be below the dunes, dune edges, wrack line & live vegetation. It is suggested tire pressure not exceed 15 psi. The maximum vehicle speed limit on the beach is 10 mph. Leaving a vehicle on the beach unattended is prohibited.

Riding on a fender, roof, tailgate, open pickup bed, or any exterior portion of a vehicle is prohibited.

Fires are prohibited. Only small contained gas (propane) cooking fires allowed.

Erecting a tent is prohibited.

Deep, vehicle-created ruts/holes must be immediately filled by those responsible.

Rods/lines must be kept within 20 feet (6 meters) of the shoreline to avoid conflicts with other beach users.

From sunset to sunrise each person 13 years of age or older must have surf fishing gear and be actively engaged in surf fishing while on the beach.

All trash including charcoal must be packed out. Do not bury charcoal in the sand.

Nelson Island: fishing permitted Sundays year-round. Mondays-Saturdays generally from February-early September (check with Refuge Headquarters for exact dates). Foot access only. Night fishing prohibited.

Stage Island: fishing permitted year-round. Foot access only. Access to and from Stage Island by the way of Sandy Point State Reservation only. All persons must remain along the shore, access to upland areas prohibited. Night fishing prohibited.

To minimize disturbance of foraging shorebirds, drive with caution on the beach.

VEHICLE INSPECTION TIMES:

Vehicle inspections can be done Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm At Refuge Headquarters (5 Ocean Avenue, Newburyport, MA 01950) or at the Gatehouse when it is staffed.

.NOTE: Drive-on Acces Gates (BB-1 & BB-2) subject to temporary unannounced closure due to high tide and/or storms.

nightfighter
08-17-2009, 06:42 AM
OTW May 2009 has a decent article on Plum Island to give you an idea of where you might want to fish.

nightfighter
08-19-2009, 06:31 AM
If the surf builds ahead of Hurricane Bill, I'm thinking the fish will have the feedbag on... I just might be fishing PI Sat night instead of coming back to Marblehead.

JohnR
08-19-2009, 06:34 AM
FEEDBAG + FISH = SCHWEET

The Dad Fisherman
08-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Was out there last night for a couple of hours...flat calm.....and dead. The surf should get things going for sure.

Bring some tins....

tattoobob
08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Does someone have some kind of rules?

I was trying to camp in truro this weekend but it doesn't look to good for that

I have only surf fished 2 time this year and it was only for about 2 hours each time

not sure I am up for an all nighter

tattoobob
08-19-2009, 06:40 PM
I just got a refuge report, all lots are open but lot 3, this was 8/12 so it could be open by now

nightfighter
08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Bob,
Come fish a tide.... I will hopefully get my 16 yo son to come along, so if we make it to midnight, it would be a good first night surf fishing with him.
As far as rules.... it has always been a C&R thing, with fish measurement witnessed by another member. We all just report in online the next day or so. I think there is something for the winner at TFCTFN. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any and all points.

As far as eels. Does Kay have them? Or should we be doing an order...

The Dad Fisherman
08-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Kay usually has eels..if she doesn't, 1st light Anglers or Cross roads B&T usually does.

JohnR
08-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Bob,
Come fish a tide.... I will hopefully get my 16 yo son to come along, so if we make it to midnight, it would be a good first night surf fishing with him.
As far as rules.... it has always been a C&R thing, with fish measurement witnessed by another member. We all just report in online the next day or so. I think there is something for the winner at TFCTFN. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any and all points.

Yep, Catch & Release, length measured by another member, minimum size 36 inches to count. Come on down Bob :btu:

BassDawg
08-20-2009, 09:06 AM

will be bringing my eeeeeeeeeeels from Tom's B&T in Saugus. beefy, feisty, green/black, and very reasonably priced. i'll be loading some up and putting them ina couple of big buckets on ice and bubbleweed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,be sure ya bring something to put them in should Kay be out or sparse.

am hoping to bring my nephew from PA in time for the shindig and allnighter! he isn't due for school until the 31st and he caught his first schoolie 3 yrs ago on clams, right there at PI. he's gunnin' for his first keeper, and i'm hoping to put him on sumthin' much, MUCH, BIGGER!!

looks like it could be WETT, but at least it won't be cold,,,,,,

DRUMCORPFAN
08-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Looking forward to meeting you north shore muggs, I've never fished
Plum Island hope I can manage being away from south county RI
Always good eats at these fishing legs will be there with my grandfather (striperjerk1) the old coot :smash: . Anyways see you all there.

Leo

Rockfish9
08-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Guy's... I've been fishing the reservation ( via boat) every night since Saturday( Saturday and Sunday I actualy live lined mackerel during the day until noon).. I havent seen a single angler from the snow/plover fence all the way to the polio camp( I'm not complaining)... has any one got a confirmation on the beach actualy being open.. it's rare for me to spend this much time this time of year., especialy with the new moon ,with out seeing a OTS vehicle or angler... Good luck everyone, I wont be fishing this weekend, if I get a chance I'll stop by and say Hi...BTW.. there are some real nice fish around, as well as alot of finicky blues...medium fish have been blitzing small herring for several weeks now, and there are some decent fish mixed in.. most of these ARE within casting range... watch the birds... use small( 4-5") surface plugs,tins or jigs.. these fish totaly ignore larger baits INCLUDING live mackerel.. ( sorry for the Hi-jack..I felt the info is important)

JohnR
08-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Guy's... I've been fishing the reservation ( via boat) every night since Saturday( Saturday and Sunday I actualy live lined mackerel during the day until noon).. I havent seen a single angler from the snow/plover fence all the way to the polio camp( I'm not complaining)... has any one got a confirmation on the beach actualy being open.. it's rare for me to spend this much time this time of year., especialy with the new moon ,with out seeing a OTS vehicle or angler... Good luck everyone, I wont be fishing this weekend, if I get a chance I'll stop by and say Hi...BTW.. there are some real nice fish around, as well as alot of finicky blues...medium fish have been blitzing small herring for several weeks now, and there are some decent fish mixed in.. most of these ARE within casting range... watch the birds... use small( 4-5") surface plugs,tins or jigs.. these fish totaly ignore larger baits INCLUDING live mackerel.. ( sorry for the Hi-jack..I felt the info is important)

No hi-jack - thanks for the heads up :btu:

Finaddict
08-21-2009, 12:46 PM
What's remaining as necessary for grub? Let me know so I can pick it up.

The Dad Fisherman
08-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I didn't see anybody sign up for the Prime Rib or Lobster Yet....Hope that Helps

Stewie
08-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Just picked up a couple pies. Anyone like potato salad?

JohnR
08-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Either or -thanks!

Someone get ketchup, mustard, relish??

nightfighter
08-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Bob Huddy and i are bringing fresh fillets for the grill.

JohnR
08-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Ladies & Gents, awesome time, big water, good food, great company :btu:

Clogston29
08-23-2009, 11:49 AM
wish i could have made it. looking at the weather though, friday night was the night to head out so i spent saturday with the wife. anybody get anything saturday night? everybody stay safe?

The Dad Fisherman
08-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Water was a little rough and Sloppy....no fish caught where we were....don't know about anybody else.

It was a good time and a ton of food....best I've eaten in weeks, :hihi:

Stewie
08-23-2009, 02:15 PM
It was nice to meet you guys, and to talk to the few I knew before Saturday.:btu:

spinncognito
08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Compliments to the chef(s)- good to put some faces to some names. Sorry I missed your call Kevin- BIG water in the spot we went to, did not fish long, left Jess in the dark (in his element), hoping he did not venture too close to those rollers. Looking forward to getting back out there as the storm moves away but leaves the white-water.

Rockport24
08-23-2009, 07:31 PM
it was a great time. Glad we finally did it! sorry I didn't get to fish with you dudes, but I'm glad you guys stayed safe with that big surf.

the food was awesome too!

nightfighter
08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Good time at the cook out. Enjoyed meeting Jess, Paul and Stew for the first time. Waiting to hear how Candace did on the rocks up in Maine in her new waders. We fished PI outside on the new sandbar through dark. Conditions looked great, big waves outside on the outer break, lots of white wash around us as tide turned from low to high. But no love there. Drove to Marblehead, which was pretty weeded up. Bob and I moved on to another spot with same conditions, but gave in to the building surf and weed balls that threatened to keep our line and plugs.

BassDawg
08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Compliments to the chef(s)- good to put some faces to some names. Sorry I missed your call Kevin- BIG water in the spot we went to, did not fish long, left Jess in the dark (in his element), hoping he did not venture too close to those rollers. Looking forward to getting back out there as the storm moves away but leaves the white-water.

thanks Paul, likewise. it was great to meet you, Ross, Kevin, Mark, Candace, Mike, Rob, et al and it was really good seeing those surfrats i already know. hey Vic, did Candace outfish you and Stew? :bl: :bl: :bl: we did throw a pretty good shindig,,,,,,,,,,,don't know how i missed the striper meat and the pie,,,,,,,,,,Paul thanks VERY much for introducing me to your slice of Striperin' Heaven. i left those giganto swells shortly after you did and was very happy to walk away. THANKS to the Boss for adding the NShore Leg this year~~~good food and good peoples always makes for GOOD TIMES!!!

no fish for me SAT nite; although, does the one i caught SAT am count?
:heybaby: :rolleyes: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :rolleyes: :heybaby:

ThrowingTimber
08-24-2009, 09:12 AM
We got pounded up in Maine Candi did great but no fish :wall:

JohnR
08-25-2009, 10:09 AM
It was a good time :btu: other than the moments during the search for gear :eek5: .

I also want to put out a thanks to Rockfish9 as he swung by for a chat and left a couple prizes for the top dawg that night. That top dog wound up being the surf though so they will stay in the leg kitty (with Joe's approval of course).

The Dad Fisherman
08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
other than the moments during the search for gear :eek5: .

At least it had a happy ending :kewl:...would have sucked if it didn't :eek:

JohnR
08-25-2009, 10:22 AM
At least it had a happy ending :kewl:...would have sucked if it didn't :eek:

I thought your plug bag was a gonner. I was questioning whether or not I saw it scream by on that wave.

Rockfish9
08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
It was a good time :btu: other than the moments during the search for gear :eek5: .

I also want to put out a thanks to Rockfish9 as he swung by for a chat and left a couple prizes for the top dawg that night. That top dog wound up being the surf though so they will stay in the leg kitty (with Joe's approval of course).

Just back from Vacation.... good to see some of you as I missed you guys at plugfest.... Please... use the plugs anyway you see fit...

JohnR
09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Just back from Vacation.... good to see some of you as I missed you guys at plugfest.... Please... use the plugs anyway you see fit...

Will do - they will remain prizes in the S-B Tourney - thanks!