View Full Version : Bailess Reels

Headhunter
08-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Pretty much its all my boys ever used from the surf. It was hard at first but they are proficient with them now. I let the fish at night with me for the first time a few weeks ago. They have come with me many times at night usually one at a time for over 2 years. My now 11 yr old was with me when I landed my personal best from the rocks, 47 lbs.They have kokers and a light and know how to walk on the rocks with out using the light and when to use it. The 11 yr old is better with the vs than the 12 yr old. I had him casting and retreving an eel the other night with a 200 vs on a 9' stick. I only had to straighten him out like 2 times in a little over 2 hours. He didnt hook up anything but did get some taps. I cant wait to get them into wetsuits for some deep wading (next yr I think), they both swim like fish and wont be long before they surpass the old man. I think they will appreciate being able to use the bailess reel more and more as they get older.

JohnR
08-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I see Casey & Kacie's kids fishing Korkers, bailless, and goggled before they are tweeners :rotf2:

If the kids can do it and want to be gung-ho, it is good skill. Especially if it adds to the experience. If it detracts, well....

tynan19
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Headhunter, congrats to your boys. I can't wait for those times. Mine are 6-3 and I would say the 6 year old is proficient at using a spinning real. Have any pics of the boys fishing. John, LOL, you should have seen the four of us Bass fishing the other night in my 14 tin boat. I thought Starfish was going to have some new face jewerly as Tynan wanted to do all his own casting even in the dark. 2 Trebles came awfully close to her cheek.

Headhunter
08-13-2009, 07:42 PM
From the boat they all have fish over 30 lbs including my wife

Headhunter
08-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Couple from the surf

MarshCappa
08-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Everyone looks great! Thanks for sharing! That's what it is all about!

tynan19
08-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Great Stuff!

5/0
08-15-2009, 04:34 PM
The kids looked stoked,and the Nija moves look cool too:rotf2:

BTW nice PB:fishin: it's always nice to see fish that size takin from the surf!

5/0

Headhunter
08-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Some guys are surf gods I only have 7 fish over 40 lbs from the surf but its not for the lack of trying. I have changed up my stratergy in the past several years from the surf and try to only fish bigfish water. Hope to break 50 ,you know the quest.

The boat is a whole different animal, 2 over 50 lbs, I think somewhere around 20 over 40, and didnt even count fish over 30, that was just in 3 seasons with my 24 cc.

Havent been out in 2 weeks so it might be a quick ride to a spot that has produced fish up to 35 for me. from the looks of that fish slung over your back i should be talking to you more often.

BassDawg
08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
very COOL HH,
:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

especially when you can involve the bride and kidz!!!
they ALL look stoked to be "part of THE plan",,,,,,,,,,

keep bangin' 'em HARD, HeadHunter
and thanks for sharing your pix~~~

Thumper
08-15-2009, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=I only have 7 fish over 40 lbs from the surf [/QUOTE]

only huh? lol good for you man. when you say you switched it up to only fishing big surf, what do you consider big surf?

Headhunter
08-15-2009, 11:21 PM
not big surf, big fish water. where ever there is deep water and current with in casting distance. 15' to 30' or more with current and structure

Headhunter
08-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Bass Dawg I broke 40 for the first time on my honeymoon in your neck of the woods. Got up after midnight it was raining, she reluuctantle came with me, ran out to the cut at nausett, or as far as you could drive, fished the cut ,nothing came back to tha car and at dawn i slid a 43lber on to the sand, carried it to the explorer and said look at this. She said " can we go now and it wasn't a question,lol. I had to leave or it would have been a very short marrage. One other guy was ther and said "your leaving now?" What you do for love, you know.

BassDawg
08-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Nice story,,,,,,,,,,,,
soooooo, lemee get this straight!

you get married and your brand spanking new wife
accompanies you to hunt Lahhhge on The Cape.
WELL DONE, lad, WELL DONE!! and a nice slob, to boot!!!

there's nothing wrong with attempting to set the tone of the marriage, EARLY. and it looks like the kids will follow suit, AMEN!! my daughter is 6 and i'm hoping to put her awn sum schoolies or better this Fall~~~she loves to eat Striper, it's high time she caught her own. looks like Plum Island it is for the 22nd, afterall :bl: :bl: :bl: FYI~~THE Other Cape=Cape Ann~~i've yet to fish Cape Cod, although i'm not quite shore why? i suppose it's because once i cross the Tobin, my auto pilot takes me straight to Li'l Rhody and her plentiful waters!!!

Headhunter
08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
PLUM= big fish although I have not fished it. I dropped a nice fish last night, that is like the 3'd fish I have dropped this year, not bragging but I don't usually drop big fish (I am in some kind of funk). I was plugging, just wasnt hitting the rite spot with my eels. Three solid runs, gill rakes, it was a good fish, the last gill rake must have disloged the hook and she was gone, the fish had plenty left too. Felt the weight and it was at least 25lbs could have been just shy of 40 at the outside is my guess. Would have made my night. I am still depressed.

Thumper
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
not big surf, big fish water. where ever there is deep water and current with in casting distance. 15' to 30' or more with current and structure

opps read that wrong..