View Full Version : Spence a question for you

Swimmer
08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Why is it that no one wears short sleeve dress shirts anymore? If you go into a store thier aren't many even in stock. Its torture wearing a long sleeve dress shirt with color stays and a tie on, not to mention the sport coat, in the warm weather. Why did this become the norm?

spence
08-13-2009, 06:15 PM
That's an interesting question. Perhaps the 1970's hip factor killed the geek image from the 50's and 60's. There was a lot of fashion rebellion in that decade (and thankfully, most of it is gone). At least the skinny tie made a comeback in the last decade :uhuh:

Today you really only see short sleeve button downs as very casual. Wearing a tie with a short sleeve shirt is ok only if you're 16 and working at a grocery store...but it's a look I wouldn't be caught dead in.

Actually, you'll never see me wearing a tie without a sport coat or suit either.

I nearly always wear a coat for business, and I agree it's brutal, especially as I travel down south a lot. During the worst of times I'll actually take a coat, carry it around and quickly put it on if I need.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

-spence

Slingah
08-13-2009, 06:47 PM
short sleeve dress shirt and a CLIP-ON tie :kewl:

Saltheart
08-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I still see lots of people who were short sleeve dress shirts.

I think JC Penny has some on sale now.

striperman36
08-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I need a pocket protector too...

Swimmer
08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
My only understanding so far is that the dress shirt itself became so expensive people who need to wear this attire for work started buying only the long sleeve especially since everywhere is air conditioned now.

The Dad Fisherman
08-14-2009, 05:33 AM
a CLIP-ON tie :kewl:

90% Rayon......

Raven
08-14-2009, 06:10 AM
because i watch scifi - now spelled syfy

i always notice the fashion statement of the future....

lately they have regressed back to the Naru jacket :grins:

speaking about the 70's....

Redsoxticket
08-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Another reason for long sleeves is that tattoos and short sleeve dress atire do not compliment each other unless maybe your a bouncer.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

FishermanTim
08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
polyester shirts, wide or thin ties, and button down collar.
Although I do like the "business casual" attire I wear today, I didn't mind the shirt and tie workplace.
What kills me is that EVERY YEAR our company has to remind some employees that sweatpants, spandex shorts, beach sandals, cut-off tee shirts and shorts are NOT business casual.

( I remember one incident a few years back when we only had casual Fridays, and one fairly attractive woman decided to wear spandex slacks to work for casual Friday. Someone had to point out that she was sporting a prominent "camel-toe". Needless to say, she did not repeat that wardrobe malfunction.

Lord, I think back to some of my own creative wardrobe choices, and I wince. I was just ahead of my time in funk and fashion I guess.

The Dad Fisherman
08-14-2009, 12:12 PM
( I remember one incident a few years back when we only had casual Fridays, and one fairly attractive woman decided to wear spandex slacks to work for casual Friday. Someone had to point out that she was sporting a prominent "camel-toe". Needless to say, she did not repeat that wardrobe malfunction.

I hope you took that person outside and kicked their ass.....somebody always has to ruin everybody elses good time

FishermanTim
08-14-2009, 12:34 PM
No self respecting guy would have said anything.... her fellow female associates on the other hand....:crying:

Then there was one other time when our manager, also a fairly attractive woman, decided to go with a farmer's overall type dress (picture a dress with bib-overall straps) and wore a tee shirt (and no support for "the girls"!:eyes:
Needless to say, the straps from the dress "corralled" her ponies quite nicely. Once again, she never wore that again.:crying:

Then there was the single mom that dressed like a tramp. She was a good employee and a good oerson, but sometimes her style took you by surprise.:heybaby:

By today's standards, it's kind of tame in comparison to the 80's and 90's.

RIJIMMY
08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
That's an interesting question. Perhaps the 1970's hip factor killed the geek image from the 50's and 60's. There was a lot of fashion rebellion in that decade (and thankfully, most of it is gone). At least the skinny tie made a comeback in the last decade :uhuh:

Today you really only see short sleeve button downs as very casual. Wearing a tie with a short sleeve shirt is ok only if you're 16 and working at a grocery store...but it's a look I wouldn't be caught dead in.

Actually, you'll never see me wearing a tie without a sport coat or suit either.

I nearly always wear a coat for business, and I agree it's brutal, especially as I travel down south a lot. During the worst of times I'll actually take a coat, carry it around and quickly put it on if I need.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

-spence

wow - we totally agree on something!
I

justplugit
08-16-2009, 10:32 AM
short sleeve dress shirt and a CLIP-ON tie :kewl:

We need to nominate Matt as our new Fashion Police Czar. :hihi:

Rockport24
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I know this is kinda old, but I gotta chime in - I used to work with a milf type women who sat next to my cube who always had a thong on and I could always see it as she always on the edge of her seat! it killed me for like 2 years!
thank god nobody ever told her. now I have young co workers who love to show off cleavage - which is distracting to say the least!!

oh and as far as short sleave dress shirts, just roll up your sleaves ya nerd!

JohnnyD
08-20-2009, 12:27 PM
I know this is kinda old, but I gotta chime in - I used to work with a milf type women who sat next to my cube who always had a thong on and I could always see it as she always on the edge of her seat! it killed me for like 2 years!
thank god nobody ever told her. now I have young co workers who love to show off cleavage - which is distracting to say the least!!

I'm sorry but are you complaining?

My girlfriend gives me a hard time because I wear my sunglasses inside places like the Prudential Mall and on cloudy days when we go into Boston.

I learned that she was privy to what I was doing when I was facing forward but enjoying a view walking by on our left and she goes, "So how'd you like that one?"

We both had a laugh and to this day she jabs me, "Don't forget your sunglasses."

Rockport24
08-20-2009, 01:14 PM
no not complaining but it's hard ya know I don't want to be accused of harassment if I get caught staring! like Seinfeld said though, cleavage is like the sun, ya never look right at it!

LOL on the sunglass thing, that's a great trick, I'm gonna start wearing them at work.

JohnnyD
08-20-2009, 01:21 PM
LOL on the sunglass thing, that's a great trick, I'm gonna start wearing them at work.

I never leave for the beach, Boston or any other outdoor event without them.

I can hear it now, "My eye doctor suggested I wear sunglasses at work because the fluorescent lighting is straining them."

Slingah
08-20-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm going to a wedding next weekend.. I'm wearing a short sleeve dress shirt, clip on tie AND my sunglasses!!!!!! :uhuh:

Backbeach Jake
08-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm going to a wedding next weekend.. I'm wearing a short sleeve dress shirt, clip on tie AND my sunglasses!!!!!! :uhuh:

Slingah-na-na!

Slingah
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Slingah-na-na!

:laughs:

BW from AZ
08-24-2009, 03:32 PM
My favorite tie is between a clip on and full on tie. Look up zip ties (zipper ties?). They have a zipper they slide up and down on. Tats killed short sleeves. My shades have the mirror coating on them. Very little tint so i see well and no one sees my eyes.

fishbones
08-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I went to an outdoor wedding yesterday and saw some people rockin' the short sleeve dress shirt look. There were even at least 3 guys with the short sleeve dress shirt and a tie. Even though it was about 90 degrees when we got there, I insisted on wearing my suit jacket and tie. I regretted that decision and immediately after the ceremony, I went up to the car and hung the jacket up. By the time the cocktail hour was over and everyone was in the tent for the meal, there was no one wearing a jacket and only about 10 guys with ties still on. My tie was off right after I finished eating. It was just brutal. There were even a couple of young kids running around shirtless in the grassy area next to the tent where the reception was.

All that being said, I'd rather be hot and uncomfortable than be comfortable and wearing a short sleeve shirt with a tie.

spence
08-24-2009, 04:01 PM
It's a wedding, sweat it out and then remove the coat and tie when it's appropriate.

That being said, I have a sweet linen/silk Zegna suit that I would have probably been wearing and looking/staying cool :hihi:

-spence

JohnnyD
08-24-2009, 04:49 PM
All that being said, I'd rather be hot and uncomfortable than be comfortable and wearing a short sleeve shirt with a tie.

Agreed 100%.

I just make sure to wear a good shirt underneath so the sweat doesn't soak through.

fishbones
08-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Agreed 100%.

I just make sure to wear a good shirt underneath so the sweat doesn't soak through.

Spence would be proud of my shirt collection. Nothin but class and style.

I should have listened to my wife yesterday, though. I assumed it was an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception. My wife swears she told me the reception was under a tent outside. But evidently I wasn't listening then, either.

bloocrab
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM
This is related to the subject, so I'll post it here...

At my workplace, the wearing of shorts is prohibited. However, the women are allowed to wear Capri pants.

Based on the vast experience of our wonderful S-B Fashion Police, ....
How is the wearing of Capri pants looked upon when a man attempts to strut them down the runway?

I mean, what's so wrong about the Angus Young look?

Slipknot
08-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I think you'd look simply MAHvelous Gilly:rotf2:

bloocrab
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
(...in my sexiest Marilyn Monroe voice......Thanks BIG guy...:heybaby: