View Full Version : setting up shop

shore manic
02-02-2003, 12:30 AM
all you plug turners have me thinking? ya think i'll piss off the landlord if i set up shop in the spare room of my 2nd floor apt. what size lathes are we talking? drill press,sander,small band saw shop vac, am i missing anything besides my mind?:smash:

fishing bum wannabe
02-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Putting the issue of your being out of your mind aside (I don't know you and therefore do not feel qualified to render judgment on that issue), you can do most of what you need to do on a lathe. With the addition of a drill chuck and bit in the head stock you can drill like a drill press. You use the screw feed in the tail stock to feed (push) the wood into the drill bit. With a sanding disk (my favorite is a 6" hook and loop type designed for a hand drill, easy to change grit sizes) and a small drum sander (once again designed to fit a hand drill, available at woodworkers warehouse or sears for less than $20.00) your sanding needs are met. I have a full size lathe but the Midi lathes I have seen plug makers using look perfect for the job, and a better fit for your apartment.

The biggest issue you will face will be dealing with the chips and dust. A shop vac will do it nicely but they are noisy. Then the biggest issue you will face will be the noise. You gonna piss off the neighbors.

shore manic
02-02-2003, 02:17 PM
don't think it will be any noiseier than there 500 watt bass.just kidding about using the apt.i have a friend who does furniture refinishing,he'll let me use his equipment. any more plug workshops coming up? i'd like to see some of you artists at work!!!!!

fishing bum wannabe
02-03-2003, 10:24 AM
"Putting the issue of your being out of your mind aside (I don't know you and therefore do not feel qualified to render judgment on that issue)"

I was not being entirely candid. I had already rendered judgement.;) Fortunately I was in error (or was I?).

shore manic
02-04-2003, 07:05 AM
assinippi, no you were right, i'm stil out of my mind(just not on that issue):laughs: :jester: :hidin: :bo: :cheers: