View Full Version : AND YOU WONDER>>>

Nebe
08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
why dumbass fat touristas die every year in a heave..

I took this shot at beavertail saturday on my phone... saw a grey cherokee with SB sticker on it..

anywho...look at how close these people were..

idiots

likwid
08-24-2009, 06:07 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i113/lazergunpewpew/nooo.jpg

UserRemoved1
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.asklopan.com/asklopan.jpg

Rob Rockcrawler
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
That woulda been my cherokee. I was shocked at how close some folks got. I was pretty close at one spot, but it wasnt getting bad breaks, watched for a half hour before i ventured down for a few shots. Every time there is a storm, a few people make the case for neutering at birth.

Saltheart
08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
They do it because they have no idea at all what its like to fight the waves if one comes in on them. Anyone who has ever had to deal with the surf knows and respects it. These people probably have never gotten a toe wet. Still a shame when one of them gets wrapped up in it though. Death is an awefully high penalty for simple stupidity but sometimes that's the price. :(

Duke41
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Darwinism in effect

Gobi
08-24-2009, 08:21 PM
The issue is really with the children that accompany those folks. No child, such as the one that downed in Maine, deserves such a fate. Maybe we should be the responsible ones and see if some of our money that will be gobbled up by the State in the form of a salt water fishing tax (that's what it is, a tax, not a fee, for all of the tax and spend folks in the audience) could be used for something as simple as signs to keep people off of the rocks and warning of rogue waves at places such as Beavertail, Hazard, etc.... (Eben - I remember your post about Hazard and how you were nearly done in by a large wave there)
K

MAKAI
08-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Cull out the stupid.

Nebe
08-25-2009, 10:08 AM
The issue is really with the children that accompany those folks. No child, such as the one that downed in Maine, deserves such a fate. Maybe we should be the responsible ones and see if some of our money that will be gobbled up by the State in the form of a salt water fishing tax (that's what it is, a tax, not a fee, for all of the tax and spend folks in the audience) could be used for something as simple as signs to keep people off of the rocks and warning of rogue waves at places such as Beavertail, Hazard, etc.... (Eben - I remember your post about Hazard and how you were nearly done in by a large wave there)
K

Yep. I almost died at hazard.. and thats why I am so sensitive about this.. I knew what I was doing too which is the embarrassing part. Growing up in newport, spending summers cliff diving all the time, and I still got taken out by a rouge wave.. people should just stand way back when the heave is on...:wall:

piemma
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Dec 1994 I'm standing 50 feet from the front of the Charletown breachway with my fishing partner at that time. The waves were big but not huge. All of a sudden the rogue wave appears and crashes over us and we are a good 50 feet in from the end rock. IT FLATTENED US!! We were shocked and got out of there very quickly. You just never know.
I have been in Nathan Cove's on the big rock and had a wave come over the top of the rock and me. That a 25 to 30' wave and those of you who know Nathans know the rock I speak of.

Typhoon
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
The sad fact is that because people are inherently stupid they ruin it for the rest of us. $100 says the family sues the park service for allowing them to put themselves in harms way and be idiots.

striperman36
08-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Here is the article from CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/weather/08/25/maine.wave.death/index.html

Swimmer
08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
The park rangers kept imploring the people to move but they did not.

slow eddie
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
some people have absolutely no idea just what wave patterns are. nor would they understand. every now and then, i get surprised myself. wondering just where that wave came from. the ocean never ceases to amaze me.
i thought i was out, but it pulled me back in.

bassballer
08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
same was going on at brenton point on sunday morning. mostly everyone was behind the wall, but a couple families decided to walk down onto the shore. I couldnt belive what I was seeing. I mean how could this father decide it was a good idea to have his children that close to the surf. Pure moronic.

5/0
08-25-2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.asklopan.com/asklopan.jpg

Big trouble in little China:devil2:

wheresmy50
08-26-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't think most people understand the difference between a "big wave" that's twice or 3 times the size of the average and a true rogue. Anyway like others said, natural selection. I sometimes think we're so overwhelmed by warnings that people expect there to be a warning sign for any dangeous situation.

Some people here died trying to canoe in a flood-swolen river. I overheard someone asking "Why didn't someone stop them"?

BassDawg
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
just wondering if it would behoove us to

step it up a notch if/when we see such
apparent danger? if not for the parents,
perhaps for the kids?? i'm not saying we are
lifegaurds,,,,,,,,,,,,but what IF, and that is a big IF,

one of us had gotten their attention and explained the REAL dangers of rogue waves from an educational and 'been there done that' perspective. something along the lines of,

"I'm a surfcaster, who fishes here all the time, and do you SEE that wave 100 yds out? it is part of a gnarly set that can triple in an instant. we call those types of waves Rogue Waves. if you would like to risk your life, so be it~~~~but could you do me a favor and please ask your kids to move back. HELL, i don't even want to be near these sets of waves, fogeddah bout the ROGUE wave that could KILL you and anyone else in harm's way. i'm not trying to be a dinkhead, it's just that when ya live in this water for 5 months every year, chasing stripers at night, you get to sea first hand the power and the extreme ways in which the surf can wreak it's havoc,,,,,,,,, i just wanted you to be aware of the seriousness of these swells, for the safety of the children~~~brothah." and if he persisted in staying,

i would've told him to get the EFFFF out of there and to take his brood with him!!! i'd much rather he get pissed off, embarrassed, hurt feelings than feel the hurt of a lost life by his own ignorance!! what's the worst that could happen? he might storm off, ALIVE, with his family?!!?

i'm not SAYIN' he/she will listen; i AM just sayin' what if we at least made THAT type of an effort??

FishermanTim
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I've been fortunate in that I haven't been slammed by the surf.
Well, not like that at least.
One point I stress with any rookie (or veteran) of the surf is that you NEVER turn your back on the ocean, particularly when you have active waves.
I got knocked down once years ago when I failed to realize the power and scope/range that some waves can reach.
Heck, I've encountered "rouge" waves on fresh water ponds and lakes. All it takes is cumulative wave action from either wind of boat wakes. Once these waves meet up, as with ocean waves, it's only a matter of time before they swell up into rouges.
As an avid kayaker, I have become ever alert to ANY water disturbance that may wreck havoc with me and my watercraft.

Hopefully no one else will pay the ultimate price for a lapse in judgement.

Good luck to all, and keep safe during these storm-churned times.

wheresmy50
08-28-2009, 11:24 AM
To youre point BD, it is certainly nice to warn people if you know something they don't . . . but it doesn't always work.

I was at BT point one sunny summer Saturday, having some fun with bluefish and small bass. There were 2 or 3 young kids playing at the water line (not near it, in it). I advised the mother that this was dangerous. She either ignored me or didn't understand English, and I went back to fishing. Whether I should have or not, I kept an eye on the kids from where I was fishing.

I remember someone died in Gansett a few years ago rescuing someone elses kid. The kid and it's parents survived. The kid was innocent, but the parents? Someone has to give their life because of bad parenting? It's different since it was a kid, but how far do you go to protect someone from their own stupidity? Risk a fight with some drunk and his girlfriend who are too close to the water at Hazard? Why?

JFigliuolo
08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
just wondering if it would behoove us to

step it up a notch if/when we see such
apparent danger? if not for the parents,
perhaps for the kids?? i'm not saying we are
lifegaurds,,,,,,,,,,,,but what IF, and that is a big IF,

one of us had gotten their attention and explained the REAL dangers of rogue waves from an educational and 'been there done that' perspective. something along the lines of,

"I'm a surfcaster, who fishes here all the time, and do you SEE that wave 100 yds out? it is part of a gnarly set that can triple in an instant. we call those types of waves Rogue Waves. if you would like to risk your life, so be it~~~~but could you do me a favor and please ask your kids to move back. HELL, i don't even want to be near these sets of waves, fogeddah bout the ROGUE wave that could KILL you and anyone else in harm's way. i'm not trying to be a dinkhead, it's just that when ya live in this water for 5 months every year, chasing stripers at night, you get to sea first hand the power and the extreme ways in which the surf can wreak it's havoc,,,,,,,,, i just wanted you to be aware of the seriousness of these swells, for the safety of the children~~~brothah." and if he persisted in staying,

i would've told him to get the EFFFF out of there and to take his brood with him!!! i'd much rather he get pissed off, embarrassed, hurt feelings than feel the hurt of a lost life by his own ignorance!! what's the worst that could happen? he might storm off, ALIVE, with his family?!!?

i'm not SAYIN' he/she will listen; i AM just sayin' what if we at least made THAT type of an effort??

You may want to drop your Ali-G persona for your little PSA.

BassDawg
08-28-2009, 05:48 PM
To youre point BD, it is certainly nice to warn people if you know something they don't . . . but it doesn't always work.

I was at BT point one sunny summer Saturday, having some fun with bluefish and small bass. There were 2 or 3 young kids playing at the water line (not near it, in it). I advised the mother that this was dangerous. She either ignored me or didn't understand English, and I went back to fishing. Whether I should have or not, I kept an eye on the kids from where I was fishing.

I remember someone died in Gansett a few years ago rescuing someone elses kid. The kid and it's parents survived. The kid was innocent, but the parents? Someone has to give their life because of bad parenting? It's different since it was a kid, but how far do you go to protect someone from their own stupidity? Risk a fight with some drunk and his girlfriend who are too close to the water at Hazard? Why?

i hear ya where'smy,,,,,,,,,,,,

and i certainly do not advocate life threatening risk,
and you are correct in that some people just don't GET IT!

my comments were more along the lines of; rather than walking away shaking our heads and chocking the potential loss of life to STUPIDITY and DARWIN how much does it cost us to TRY to put a bug in someone's ear??

it sort of relates to fishing. we don't always catch, but when we do it is sweeeeet. just as likely, what harm is there in warning 5 people and 4 heed your warnings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not bad odds if ya ask me and WELL WORTH the effort.

as far as the drunken bumpkin and his girl goes, i've not met too many drunks that i couldn't "manage". and that is very sad that someone lost their life saving that kid; yet, i can think of a sheet load of ways that i'd NOT want to go compared to that and depending on the circumstances,,,,,,,,,,
i can't say that i would not have done the same thing~~~that is a crossroads i don't wish on ANYONE.

RIROCKHOUND
08-28-2009, 06:04 PM
You may want to drop your Ali-G persona for your little PSA.

Whatchu talking about G :smash:

jimmy z
08-30-2009, 07:16 AM
It doesn't surprise me. I fish that spot, alot, and it's got some breaker action without a storm at times. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

1dozenraw
08-30-2009, 08:10 AM
You may want to drop your Ali-G persona for your little PSA.Yup... been on my ignore list for two years on both sites exactly because of that. Maybe has something worthwhile to offer. Not sure because I just can't read his posts. Apparently I'm not alone.

Meanwhile, I was out of work for 10 days after getting picked up by a wave and dropped on a pointed rock at Charlestown. However, it was because a wave hit a slanted face of one of the boulders on the end and came up at me hitting me in the chest. A foolish miscalculation on my part. There were three of us fishing the end and there were big swells and we had all been set down on our knees a couple of times. It was foolishness and all three of us were somewhat experienced. I regularly see guys fishing the end with kids, barefoot and under 10 years old. It's just plain irresponsible and idiotic. I used to say something, but I've gotten to think it's not worth it.

Joe
08-30-2009, 08:12 AM
A wave twice the size of others is not a rouge wave. It's perfectly normal for waves to double up. It might take a half hour, or maybe two hours, but eventually, that big wave is coming.

Surfpirate
08-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Culling the heard.

I support it!