View Full Version : Motors

Striper SniperX
02-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for a 15 -to- 35 hp Outboard (running or not)

For under $ 500.

Evinrude, johnson, mercury- any thing.

I can't seem to find a motor in my searches and this is my last resort to ask you all :D so IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE, please keep a watchfull eye out for me please!

Only 2 months to go- and i need a motor ASAP,

Please
PM or Email me--

StriperSniperXLT@aol.com
or
StriperSearch@aol.com

Thanks Alot!

Mike

JohnR
02-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Only 2 months to go- and i need a motor ASAP,
2 months from now, you mean yesterday? :D

I think there was one in the Fisherman, might have been a little more coin though. Do you get that? If not let me know and I'll see what I can find.

Other sites to checK:

boattrader.com
wmi.org go to boats for sale in fresh & salt

BUT A LOCAL WANTADVERTISER - I usually see a dozen or so small outboards in there. Maybe not what you are looking for but a good selection either way.

Striper SniperX
02-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Hey John.

I do many searches online and most deals are in Florida or California (examples)
I never see any in RI or Close Mass/Conn. My dad drives al
I need something under $500 even if it needs work (i am looking more towards lower hundreds if possible!).

I have a few issues (old ones, december) of "the fisherman" but no currant ones :(

I hope someone has one, or knows someone or keeps an eye out for me.

thanks alot

Mike

Slipknot
02-02-2003, 11:24 PM
I have a 40 hp johnson sitting doing nothing. I'm sure it could be had for under 500.
I'm also sure it needs work but it did run last time it was used many years ago.

Striper SniperX
02-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Hey
A 40hp may be pushing it on this boat, (max is 40) and not sure if the old transom will handle it??? I bet it will- i drilled it and it was clean so i will PM you later (have to get to bed now)

What Year (appx?)

Pictures?

Thanks alot,
Mike

Slipknot
02-03-2003, 12:05 AM
It's clean, I think it's a 1974 or 5

I'll try to get a pic tom. if you're interested.

Striper SniperX
02-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Hey,
Yes I'm Very interested! Please try and find- Or take a few pictures of it if possible.

A 40hp would make my boat ZOOM so maybe that is a good thing :D i never like to put max HP on but what is there to loose- i'll reinforce the transom w/ some aluminum :D

PM, Email or Reply here- Thanks alot Slip!

IF anyone still has one, please let me know- I'm on a mission here :eek5:

Mike

Striper SniperX
02-03-2003, 11:57 AM
P.S:
Slip, if you are not sure of the exact year, Try and find the Serial numbers and let me know what they are- I know a Site i can look up the numbers and get the exact Year, Hp etc..

thanks,
Mike

Slipknot
02-03-2003, 08:27 PM
C:\My Documents\Pictures\Bruce\Fishing 2002\motor40hp.JPG

Slipknot
02-03-2003, 08:28 PM
C:\My Documents\Pictures\Bruce\Fishing 2002\engine40hpleft.JPG

Slipknot
02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
C:\My Documents\Pictures\Bruce\Fishing 2002\engineright.JPG

I don't know where the serial number is but the cover says it's a Johnson Super Seahorse 40 Electramatic

Under the cover the numbers printed are 307930 PS 448 T
2866 744 49-12

That's all I know.

I'll get back to you on a price.

Striper SniperX
02-03-2003, 08:33 PM
That looks good!

i have to talk to my dad 2morrow but i'm pretty sure it's a "Yes"

Is that Electric Start, Pull or both?

Looks heavy :D

Only bad thing i have here is i am wondering if that will sink my boat- Max Is 40hp. and it's not new anymore so i suppose it's not as strong as it used to be. But i don't think my transom will fall off w/ a 40 :D

Is there any cheap way to re-enforce a small transom?
Marine Plywood? Aluminum ?How would i 'stick' it to the boat?

Now i'll bring my uncle when we go check it out (he's a mechanic) even if it don't run, and it needs some easy work i will suggest it.

Let me know in PM what you are asking for it and then we can go from there.

Mike

Striper SniperX
02-03-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Slipknot
I don't know where the serial number is

Look in the front were the "Screws" are to secure it to transom, that's were the number plate usually is. If not- It looks very clean and if she runs, year don't make a differance.

I know you can't kill them Johnsons so i bet after some Oil and work that will fire right up :)

Mike

Slipknot
02-03-2003, 08:38 PM
It's electric start hence the Electramatic in the name :)
I think you'd need to be pretty stong to pull start it but with a rope it could be done.

I'll talk to my dad also, since it's his motor but it's in my basement. I sent him an email as he's out of town now.

I'm sure he'd be glad to see it getting some use if you can use it:)

Striper SniperX
02-03-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Slipknot
It's electric start hence the Electramatic in the name :)

I posted that before i seen your post, Stupid me :D
:smash:

Talk to him for me please- i can use it.

15' Starcraft fiberglass needs power and that would work!!

thanks alot for your inquirey :)

mike

Slipknot
02-03-2003, 09:18 PM
I know, we were posting at the same time.:)

check ya PM

Striper SniperX
02-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey Slipknot- I got this email from another forum i am in (fiberglassics.com - for us old fiberglass boat lovers :D ) anyways- he says:
-------------------------------

Hey Mike;
lift the hood off the motor. On the starboard side rear of the motor at the top you should see a small aluminum soft plug, about the size of a quarter maybe larger. This plug has the model number on it. That's how we can tell the year. This is the best resort if the motor is missing the serial plate with model number that is supposed to be on the motor mount.
Let Me Know how you make out,
Jim
-----------------------------------

Again i just want to know the year out of curiosity and it's no big deal- But if you find it, Let me know!

Check your PMs

thanks alot-
mike

JohnR
02-04-2003, 08:17 PM
OK - here is the add verbatim (less tYpOs) - don't say I nevah did nuttin nice :smash:

77 35HP Evinrude, complete powerhead rebuilt in 2001 including crank, new water pump, rebuilt carbs, electric start/choke with controls, runs great, needs lower end seal, $700 or best offer. Call Mike @ 508-789-7282.

The good news is you can probably get it for $500 - the bad news is you need to find out about that lower seal...

That was in the current OTW