View Full Version : Another nice shot

JohnR
11-16-2000, 05:12 PM
Another nice sunrise shot from Race Point by Bob Thomas...

[img=http://www.striped-bass.com/Images/race1.jpg]

BobThomas
11-17-2000, 04:09 AM
Yup..that was a beautiful sunset about 2 years ago. If you look closely, you can see a big difference between then & now! Where that shot was taken was about 75 yards away from the "then" entrance to Hatches Harbor! Amazing that all that beach is now gone! Oh well...we'll see that THIS winter brings! Gosh I love that beach!

JohnR
11-17-2000, 08:17 AM
OK, not a sunset but the sun did manage to break through the fog for 15 minutes to get some shots of beautiful bassy waters... MV, Gay Head...

[img=http://www.striped-bass.com/Images/gayhead3a.jpg]

Got Stripers
11-17-2000, 11:25 AM
Great shots, man what a tease you guys are. Getting us all worked up, lol. This is going to be a long winter, tight lines.

Fisherwoman
11-17-2000, 11:57 AM
Hey JohnR, I remember the corner of Gay head well, That is the spot we got caught by the roage wave and dropped 20 ft in the air. Oh what fun!!!!!!
Have you had that baby yet? How is mom doing? Missed ya at the meeting the other night. I NEED TO FISH!!!!!!

Got Stripers did ya get out on the boat yesterday?

JohnR
11-17-2000, 12:02 PM
FW - that's about where you and Bill fell into that blackhole of greenwater :(

The wife is due a week from tomorrow so it could be any time as we are inside the +/- 2 weeks :o

I wasn't even thinking about the meeting. I figured it was next week, which I probably would have missed either way... If you see Mantia, tell him I've got something for him... I will be at the December meeting, that a week early too?

BTW - did they nominate club officials this month??

Got Stripers
11-17-2000, 12:35 PM
Fisherwoman I did get out yesterday, but went freshwater thinking the winds would make it a little nasty and damn cold over at the powerplant. I'm hoping we get a little warming trend and some lighter winds soon. I would like to get it out on the big pond, but would prefer some more favorable conditions first time out, lol.

Tomorrow doesn't look much better, burrr.

Marc Z
11-17-2000, 01:50 PM
Hey John,
Nice shot of Gay Head, if that's where I think it is, the light is to the right of that photo???? And you're looking at Devils Bridge right there off that point????
If so, how the hell do you get down there??? Where's the access??? For the life of me I could not find out how to get down there to fish it. I've fished the Vineyard for the last few years and love the place, but have not been able to fish Gay Head. I'm getting to learn the island better each time I go out there. Any tips for Gay head would be appreciated.
MZ

JohnR
11-18-2000, 10:22 AM
Good eye, Mark! The lighthouse is just barely out of that photo. I took it at the tiny scenic park just passed the shops. I haven't fished that spot yet but I talked to a local cop about access. He said short of knowing anyone, the best way was to drop your gear with someone at the bech trail (of Moshup Rd) and park at the lot at the start of the road. Then walk out along the beach and around. He said there is no short cuts unless you know a resident there. Its a good bit more than a mile to get around to that point under the light but a great place to fish. I've got some more shots of the approach which I'll put up next week... I'm going to give it a whirl next year though. As well as the Squibby bass stand. All nice bassy shorelines :o

Fisherwoman
11-18-2000, 11:26 AM
JohnR, that would be the black hole of green water, its yes!!! you got it DEVIL"S BRIDGE, and now we know why.
I believe the next meeting is also a week early, I will let ya know, it is a pot luck deal like last year. Yes they started the nominations for next year, I will email ya the names of who is running this year.
Hope all goes well with the baby & mom, hang in the there, the fun is just about to begin.

Marc Z, there used to be 2 places you could access that spot, one used to be you could actually take the path down the cliff and you end up right on the inside of that bowl area in the picture, but don't know if you can access it now. and the other one is what JohnR is talking about. Is definatley a hike going that way, and the cliffs are no treat either, but some big fishies come out of there for sure. Its a sweet spot with alot of huge boulders, we caught some decent fish the day we were out on the boat there, but we headed for Squibby because we heard a captain on the radio say he had already put 9 fish in the boat over 35lb and the bigest so far he had was over 45lbs, but when we got out there the swells were emence 16 to 20 ft high, so we had to head back in and got caught by a roage wave at Devils bridge, not fun at all.

Jenn
11-19-2000, 11:02 AM
Hey Bob,Yes what a difference now!! Some years it seems worse than others, and this year was one of those years!! Do you think that one of these winters mother nature will put our point back??? Hey....one can dream can't she?? :( Have you been out to high head? That too is very sad to see. I remember going out there as a child and it makes me cry! I cannot believe it could all be gone someday!

BobThomas
11-21-2000, 01:41 AM
John,

I am afraid to try High Head. I tried it last year for the first time in 3 years. I was not impressed with the "Landing zone" at the bottom near the surf! It was steep and short. Scared me a little.

One could only hope that the beach comes back. The "New" Hatches Harbor was pretty productive this year but with all the weekend socialites out there, it was impossible to get a spot on a Sunday afternoon!

Bob

Damon M.
11-21-2000, 09:33 AM
Bob, did you hear of any decent fish from the surf at Race Point this year? Seems like its been schoolie city for a while now.

Bob Thomas
11-21-2000, 09:42 AM
Yeah...many schoolies this year...more so than I've ever seen. I had a few in the 15-20# range. Nothing much larger.

My buddy's father caught a bunch in the 30#+ range the 1st week of October. I was witness to a 50# caught off Head of the Meadow in early July....nothing since.

JohnR
11-22-2000, 08:10 AM
I had some decent fish up to low 30 at Balstons this year. A few people I've talked to said they thought it was better in Truro than the Race but still was nothing great... Maybe it was a Nauset year :'(