View Full Version : abu 6500 ct mag to a levelwind?

tlapinski
02-03-2003, 08:52 AM
can the ct version be converted to a levelwind? i was cleaning my mag this weekend, and was thinking about putting the levelwind from my 6500 rocket into the mag, but it looked like the mag didn't have the same internals on the left side plate. do i have to pick up a "special" sideplate? if so, i think i'm gonna just leave well enough alone.

mikecc
02-03-2003, 09:08 AM
you would have to change the frame & palming sideplate
additional parts would need the crosswind gear,carrage housing,carrage reraining clip ,levelwind ,pawl, depending on which crosswind possibly 1 or2 bearings.:smash: :smash:

JohnR
02-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Better of buying a new one Tobi-wan.

Nothing on E-bay except for a limited edition for $150 smackers...

Mike - you got any left? I've been debating getting another one as I sold my 2nd just when they announced they were gone :smash: :rollem:

mikecc
02-03-2003, 09:23 AM
yup

tlapinski
02-03-2003, 09:32 AM
thanks guys, that is what i kinda figured. just have to pick up another reel now.....:smash:

Fishaddict
02-03-2003, 09:40 AM
T.Lap you could always mag the Rocket. An adjustable kit runs for about $50. But you could make a non-adjustable Mag out of it for only a few $$... Then you just control the amount of mag by adding and removing the number of manets you put in the sideplate.
Just food for thought.

And if you decide to go new, and want to sell-off the Rocket, let me know...:D

Bob

tlapinski
02-03-2003, 09:47 AM
where could i pick up the mag kit? might be an interesting way to go to mag out the rocket. i do love that reel, just don't use it too much these days. too busy throwing the 7000c3 and the mag 6500 and the squidders and all the other junk. :rolleyes:

tobias
02-03-2003, 01:06 PM
For those that want to mag their reels, check out Chris Macey's conversions.

http://www.the-sfw.fsnet.co.uk/chris_macey_magconversionkit.htm

tlapinski
02-03-2003, 01:20 PM
now i need to figure out how to convert pounds to american money. :D

Saltheart
02-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Putting a levelwind in the ct will cost you a lot of distance too. The CT has a "speed bushing" which must be removed to make room for the levelwind gear, Without the speed bushing , you'll lose considerable distance if you are a very good caster.

Big Dave
02-03-2003, 05:46 PM
T Lapinski

If you or anyone on SB is intrested in options in upgrading your ABU's or Mag converting penns or other reels. I would be more than happy to assit you. Let me know if i can be of any help. Big Dave

JohnR
02-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Hey Big Dave - good to see ya - question for you: What have you found to be the best drag upgrade in a Mag Elite?

Thanks...

Big Dave
02-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Other than the smoothies which work OK. What I’ve tried/ is considered pretty archaic I torn down the drag and rubbed the disc’s over a 400 grit emery paper to take down the roughness a bit then used a slight bit of blue grease on the fiber washers. Then reinstalled the drag it’s not the best fix but it helped. But for the most part on all my 6500's I have left well enough alone and learned to live with the poor drag. The drag on the 6500 size reels has always been a let down.

Reels sized to be used as inshore reels for saltwater game fish need to be really robust in every way, yet it always seems to be the drag system that gets over looked by most manufactures.

JohnR
02-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Big Dave - I was hoping you would have some mystical insight on them :D

I got a tip from Mike P a couple years ago to take some Penn HT100 drags and trim the outside diameter down to that of the Smoothies. This seems to work well but I have not had multiple big fish nights to really test it since doing. Best I've done testing were several 20-28# fish in a nightt and it held up fine. I did realize that I could get one more HT in than Mike did (luck of the draw?) which gave a little extra stopping power. When I overhaul this reel again, I'll write down what I did...

Oh, and the Extreme Smoothies are nice too but again, have not had a monster fish night to try them out more....