View Full Version : Livewell/washdown pump replacement

nightfighter
08-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Mine is original, I think. Pressure has dropped, getting noisy. It has a y-valve to switch from livewell to washdown. I will pull the inline strainer to see if that is the issue, after the storm passes.

My question is; I have a Johnson Aqua Jet WD 5.0 gpm max 70 psi new in box. Any experience with this pump? I have heard good things about the Shurflo Baitmaster pump, but got this from brother for my birthday two years ago.

beamie
08-29-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a huge rule 17a washdown pump. But someetimes that is overkill and sucks lots of amps.

this year I added a second rule 403FC seacock pump. Like it so far. It has a removable motor pump pack so in the future you can replace if it fails.

Van
08-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Just a thought. I had the same system on my boat from the factory, and I had pump failures using it for long periods for the livewell.
A washdown pump is good for pressure and washing. But for a livewell I went with a separate live well pump. They draw much less from the batteries too....been working great since. Also the Rule pump I got had a second outlet for the washdown so no need for an extra hole through the hull.

Something to think about.

zacs
09-01-2009, 02:06 PM
shurflo will last 1-2 years max.

saltyric
09-02-2009, 06:24 AM
shurflo will last 1-2 years max.

yeah, what he said........seams like no matter what I put in, I end up replacing it every couple of years......

Van
09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
yeah, what he said........seams like no matter what I put in, I end up replacing it every couple of years......

Wellllll.....not always true, since I don't use a wash down pump for a livewell, the original lasted about 7 seasons. The replacement has been going strong for the past 8 seasons. I do have a sureflo.

saltyric
09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I have a seperate live well pump as well. Mine never seem to burn out, it's more of a corrosion problem.......they seem to feeze up...sometimes a good wack with a mallet gets them working again!

Clammer
09-02-2009, 04:50 PM
fishaholic ; worked on mine / I also have top pumps / & ya right .. the wash down pump knocks the heck out juice / If I leave it on .
I go back in the morning & my 2 heavy duty batteries are stone dead .
My baitwekk pump /Dave increased the size / everything is working >today ;;;

MakoMike
09-29-2009, 11:55 AM
The "trick" with any of those pumps is to mount them where they won't ever ever ever get wet.