View Full Version : Know when to fold em

Back Beach
08-31-2009, 09:11 AM
High skies and a full moon...good week for a surf man to catch up with the other things in life...hit it hard starting next weekend...
Kudos to those who produce this week from the shore.

Sea Dangles
08-31-2009, 09:26 AM
?????

ProfessorM
08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm thinking from the boat though, with this wind direction this week and comm. done, it could be good on Thursday at a spot one day before the full. I just hope the bluefish have gone elsewhere though or it could get old fast.

DZ
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
High skies and a full moon...good week for a surf man to catch up with the other things in life...hit it hard starting next weekend...
Kudos to those who produce this week from the shore.

Mike,
I should have folded last week when I spent time casting with your brother Brian. Great guy - I enjoyed his company.

I have to fish hard this week bright moon or not - heading to Austria next week for 2 weeks of eating worst and strudel instead chasing mullet and bass.

DZ

Back Beach
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm thinking from the boat though, with this wind direction this week and comm. done, it could be good on Thursday at a spot one day before the full. I just hope the bluefish have gone elsewhere though or it could get old fast.

Boat should be real good this week. Surf may be tough if it doesn't cloud up. I'm thinking daybreak at the canal may be hot later in the week if some fish drop in from the bay.

Back Beach
08-31-2009, 10:11 AM
?????

I'm talking bass from shore, not tuna from a boat, you read? :smokin:

cheferson
08-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Full moon??? A bright moon is just another excuse for those who did not catch......

Krispy
08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Easy to say when your casting into 25'+ feet of water. In CT, it'll be a bluefish bonanza unless there's a heavy cloud cover
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Flaptail
08-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Actually I was out last night as the 2/3rds full moon broke out and fishing was better than last week in the pitch black with 110% of the bioluminescence in the water.

The other thing is that bait has finally shown alongshore. This next couple weeks the feed bag will go on. The school fish have started to chow down but as always I am not so sure if it is the beginning of the fall feeding or just opportunistic feeding because some bait happened along.

Friday night/Saturday in the wee hours as the waves started to rise and the wind and rain started to get stronger we had very good luck on sinking needles and Superstrike plastic needles cast into the white water. It really seemd like fall fishing then. Fish were not huge but lots of small legals which were very fat and a couple larger.

bassballer
08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
i got nothing else to catch up on, so Ill be heading out tonight and wed. Better chance of going big on the water than on my couch.

Brian L
08-31-2009, 01:38 PM
High skies and a full moon...good week for a surf man to catch up with the other things in life...

Yeah, like sweetwater fishing for Jumbo largemouths with your brother.

bart
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
did well on the last full moon. nothing huge, but the fishing was consistent...

Sea Dangles
08-31-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm talking bass from shore, not tuna from a boat, you read? :smokin:

I read it Yoda but I'm having trouble following the logic.
Or lack thereof.

Sea Dangles
09-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Just got in,far from disappointed. From the first cast we had consistent action for the last 4 hours of the ebb. No monsters but one that will have Nojo laying awake for a couple hours,maybe days. If tonight was an indicator then I suggest a recon mission regardless of moon.

Back Beach
09-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Just got in,far from disappointed. From the first cast we had consistent action for the last 4 hours of the ebb. No monsters but one that will have Nojo laying awake for a couple hours,maybe days. If tonight was an indicator then I suggest a recon mission regardless of moon.

3:18 AM? You must have been pining away the entire night waiting to post this so you could bust my chops. Thanks for the invite....oh wait, I'll get the call when the place is full of runts...:laugha:

Sea Dangles
09-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Some of the anglers invited have too much integrity to cherry-pick on others hard work and good fortune. Look to the new OTW for instructions on where to park, what to use, and where to cast.

Vogt
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
:lurk:

Back Beach
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Some of the anglers invited have too much integrity to cherry-pick on others hard work and good fortune.

Ouch. This obviously means you won't be haunting my productive grounds this fall...:fishin:....or does the above statement not apply to you? :laugha:

piemma
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I have been in San Francisco all week and some guys in a restaurant I was at last night said they have been getting decent fish at the Richardson Bridge which I believe is just South of San Quentin prison.

BassDawg
09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
gonna toss sum Hogy's rubber and Sluggos

dipped in eeeeeeeeeeeels slime, tonite!!!!

Full Moooon, BE DAMNED :uhuh: :smash: :smash: :uhuh:

Sea Dangles
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
You go Dawggy!!!

Fish_Eye
09-02-2009, 03:19 AM
I hate the full moon and so does every captain I've ever spoken to around the world. However, it was near a full moon when I had the best day of bass fishing in my life...due in good part to the fact that ALL the other conditions were just right. The moral of the story is go fishing and make history...and save the excuses for AFTER.

BassDawg
09-02-2009, 05:05 AM
thanks, Dangler of Sea Thangs!

ahhhh, to no avail, no bumps, nor narry

a hint of fish~~~so THAT shorely means~~~

the BIGGS bite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,she goes down tonight,
hey! it's free to dream, and carry the torch of HOPE ~right?
:fishin: :heybaby: :heybaby: :heybaby: :fishin:

Back Beach
09-02-2009, 05:21 AM
I hate the full moon and so does every captain I've ever spoken to around the world. However, it was near a full moon when I had the best day of bass fishing in my life...due in good part to the fact that ALL the other conditions were just right. The moral of the story is go fishing and make history...and save the excuses for AFTER.

Good advice. I've had great success in the boat, but I can't convey a single anecdotal account of a good surf trip. I know its just me, therefore I started this thread in order to simply wallow in self pity with the help of a few good friends...looks like a few clouds may roll in Friday so I'll be back at it.

Brian L
09-02-2009, 05:57 AM
Talked about this while standing on the rocks in Newport with DZ last week. We both agreed it's got more to do with light intensity than it does the moon cycle. Seems that as long as there's low light or a cloud cover, you're going to catch better than when it's not. I'm sure most here would agree.

Never had many problems catching in the boat during bright nights, and I wonder why that is. Depth of water better conceals the line perhaps? I dunno. I rarely fish water deeper than 25 ft. in the boat and have caught the overwhelming majority of my big boat fish during the day time. I would think if they're line wary during night time, they'd be the same during the day with even better visibility. I'll size my line down and tie direct to a conventional to compensate and it usually works out.

Watching fish on the flats in Ninigret will quickly showed me how skittish bass are in shallow water. The fish you need to be perfect to catch in 5ft of water indiscriminately smash a bait in 20 ft at the same time of day.

JohnR
09-02-2009, 06:43 AM
One thing is for certain. No fish will be caught driving a desk :smash:

Rockfish9
09-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Easy to say when your casting into 25'+ feet of water. In CT, it'll be a bluefish bonanza unless there's a heavy cloud cover

I havent taken a bass in 25' of water in years....last curl of the wave.. my biggest fish of the year each season ( and my life) are/were taken under a bright full moon...

the dark of the new requires total different tactics, the light of the full moon allows for faster retrievs and larger baits.... darkenss reqires more stealth and slower retrieves and or smaller baits...

the ultimate bonus of the moon is the eraser of fire....bring on the full...

Just my observations and opinion...

ProfessorM
09-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I was waiting for Joe to voice that opinion as I have heard him say it before. I too agree on the fire issue as it was very nasty last few weeks and definitely cut down on the hook ups trolling at nite, but as soon as a little light got in the sky the fish seemed ready to eat.

Back Beach
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I would say as an add on to the above you can throw all this stuff out the window as we get later in the season. As the fall binge sets in its just a matter of being out there and conditions become secondary.

I'm still taking a few nights off and blaming it on the moon, though...:angel:

bart
09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I would say as an add on to the above you can throw all this stuff out the window as we get later in the season. As the fall binge sets in its just a matter of being out there and conditions become secondary.

I'm still taking a few nights off and blaming it on the moon, though...:angel:

who you kidding? you'll be out.....fish nazi :wave:

MAKAI
09-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Best beach nite of my life
full moon, clear, flat calm
go figure
All nite fish 20 to 50 lbs.
white needles with small teasers
Bastard blues showed around 4am... game over.

Joe
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Pretty significant change in the weather lately. I know it does not effect water temps quickly, and I have no data to back up my claim, but it seems when the wind swings back into the southwest after the first significant cool-down of the year, things really turn on.

DaveS
09-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I love when guys stay home because of the moon, almost always guarantees me the best rocks to fish from anyplace I go. When the moon is big and bright, I like to get down low, work the bottom, black bucktail with red porkrind has caught me some nicer fish.

Jenn
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I am fishing reguardless....... I cant wait for the "right time".....I go WHEN I have time!

5/0
09-02-2009, 06:10 PM

I absolutely agree 100% but most people are keypad warriors:jump1:

Brian L
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I am fishing reguardless....... I cant wait for the "right time".....I go WHEN I have time!

You and me both, Jenn. Heading out right now.. :fishin:

bassballer
09-02-2009, 08:35 PM
this is the time of the year when i just go as much as possible, no matter what the conditions. My whole "fall" strategy is to fish as much as possible.

Brian L
09-03-2009, 06:12 AM
this is the time of the year when i just go as much as possible, no matter what the conditions. My whole "fall" strategy is to fish as much as possible.

Well said. :jump1: I'm going to re-adopt this as my year round strategy.

OLD GOAT
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
The best part about being a senior member is the dementia about teqniques

OLD GOAT
09-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Please Lord don't let me unhook another bologna sandwich or i,ll know were the eels went

JohnR
09-03-2009, 10:15 AM
The best part about being a senior member is the dementia about teqniques

Please Lord don't let me unhook another bologna sandwich or i,ll know were the eels went

:rotf2:

BassDawg
09-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Best beach nite of my life
full moon, clear, flat calm
go figure
All nite fish 20 to 50 lbs.
white needles with small teasers
Bastard blues showed around 4am... game over.

hey MAKAI,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you fishing for Team S-B??
if you are, a fiddy would help out nicely!!!

congrats on yer Full Moon FEVER :claps: :claps: :claps:

Sea Flat
09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
did well on the last full moon. nothing huge, but the fishing was consistent...

I did too. I got some large too, my PB in fact, with two others not too far behind.

I am going to hit real early tomorrow.

MAKAI
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
That was a few years ago.
I am a catch and release guy for a while now, If one is hopelessly hooked it's on the grill, but that's only a few each year.
My main point was in reference to fishing the full moon.
You never know, though I prefer a nite as dark as my ex wife's soul.

Krispy
09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
hey MAKAI,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you fishing for Team S-B??
if you are, a fiddy would help out nicely!!!

congrats on yer Full Moon FEVER :claps: :claps: :claps:

I thought you were Team Striper all the way?

ThrowingTimber
09-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Agreed.

Back Beach
09-03-2009, 02:42 PM

who you kidding? you'll be out.....fish nazi :wave:

I'm heading out tonight, desk and all...:laugha:

Theres just a nagging pull that never ceases this time of year, I can't explain it. Next six weeks is why I exist from a fishing standpoint.

JohnR
09-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Theres just a nagging pull that never ceases this time of year, I can't explain it. Next six weeks is why I exist from a fishing standpoint.

Its because this time of year anything can be possible. Sure, you probably will get larger in June but now you can have blizes of fish going nuts on the beach front, bait getting crashed by fish below and birds above. Schools of fish running the lane hard and fast. Trip over other fun fish like Albies and Bones. Beautiful mornings where the bite has run from the dark until hours into the day.

There is also a heightened sense of the end rushing up on you. The season is not bright and long, it is now shorter with an end measured in weeks, scattered with storms that may shut you down.

Besides, what better name is there for it than the Fall Run?

piemma
09-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Pretty significant change in the weather lately. I know it does not effect water temps quickly, and I have no data to back up my claim, but it seems when the wind swings back into the southwest after the first significant cool-down of the year, things really turn on.

:uhuh::uhuh::uhuh:

Listen to the man!

Crafty Angler
09-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Its because this time of year anything can be possible. Sure, you probably will get larger in June but now you can have blizes of fish going nuts on the beach front, bait getting crashed by fish below and birds above. Schools of fish running the lane hard and fast. Trip over other fun fish like Albies and Bones. Beautiful mornings where the bite has run from the dark until hours into the day.

There is also a heightened sense of the end rushing up on you. The season is not bright and long, it is now shorter with an end measured in weeks, scattered with storms that may shut you down.

Besides, what better name is there for it than the Fall Run?

Cap, that's beautiful...:bc:

It's also making old Uncle Crafty horny for fish...:humpty:

BassDawg
09-04-2009, 07:08 AM
I thought you were Team Striper all the way?

NOPE, not once in my short career with The Cup.
a coupla their muscles tried to persuade me once at
the Bloobery Factory last Fall,,,,,,,,,,,,not because of me~~~

i think it was motivated by their desire to have a player
that fishes from the NShore, perhaps?? besides they don't need
a schlub like me, THAT team is loaded with high liners :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

BassDawg
09-04-2009, 07:14 AM
That was a few years ago.
I am a catch and release guy for a while now, If one is hopelessly hooked it's on the grill, but that's only a few each year.
My main point was in reference to fishing the full moon.
You never know, though I prefer a nite as dark as my ex wife's soul.

FUNNY stuff, MAKAI!

me three; or a cloudy, lightly raining Full.
some of my best bites have been during a
full or 1/2 moon that is darkened by the elements.

Vogt
09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Lot of small bait around the past few nights. No sign of anything decent, just dinks to about 28" and rat blues making a mess of my eels.

However, it is good to see a good amount of bait close to shore again. I wasnt really seeing much of that untill that last storm passed and we had a few days of cool winds.

Slipknot
09-04-2009, 07:25 AM
some of my maple trees are dropping leaves
getting close now, already beginning up north
I guess I should get my gear ready

Back Beach
09-04-2009, 07:40 AM
full moon=:love:

Vogt
09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
full moon=:love:

It seriously does! It brings all the pre-teen love couples down to the beach in the middle of the night. I was a little suprised the other night when I hear some young girl and her boyfriend right behind me at 11:00 at night. :smash:

piemma
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Hit the Bay in the boat this morning. First time in 2+ weeks. Temp has dropped 10 degrees. I was marking consistently 67 to 69 degrees. 49 air temp. Smoke on the water.

BigFish
09-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Went out last night.....first fall foray in full battle gear! I also had not been seriously fishing salt for over 2 months....it felt great to be out there....just a gorgeous night....but alas....no fish. Big bright light in the sky may have been too much.....my kingdom for the dimmer switch!!! Time for full burn out mode!!!:fishin:

Flaptail
09-04-2009, 10:26 AM
The "corn" moon was full last night but even so it was smaller in the sky tyhan normal and the fishing wasn't good until the yellow needle went on also honorable mention to chartreuse.

fifty feet away from the water it was down right chilly and the coyotes were really howling up in the dunes.

Nothing big but many fish. I got the feeling.:uhuh:

Back Beach
09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Nothing big but many fish. I got the feeling.:uhuh:

Any tide now its gonna blow...I had some upper teen fish and one about 20# last night, but you can sense the change is upon us...I'm getting giddy...:deer:

bassballer
09-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I unbuckled a good fish early on then nothing all night. The moon was banging. I think after this moon fades it going to really heat up. But the feeling is definitley in the air. Last night i was doing the one more cast for 20 more casts. Just didnt want to call it a night in hopes for one big strike.......it never came.

MikeToole
09-05-2009, 03:31 PM
After a very slow July and August the fishing the last six nights has been really good. Not sure where they suddenly came from but cooky cutter fish all between 40-42" have showed up in good numbers in the surf. The full moon hasn't seemed to bother them at all.

Back Beach
09-06-2009, 05:11 AM
Not sure where they suddenly came from but cooky cutter fish all between 40-42" have showed up in good numbers in the surf.

Same thing is happening down here too. They're getting bigger and more numerous each night.

piemma
09-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Same thing is happening down here too. They're getting bigger and more numerous each night.

Know what happened? Bass are phototropic. They move on the angle of the Sun.

While bait, temperature, wind, tide and structure all have a play in the movement, the deciding factor is Sunlight. Less Sunlight and more darkenss trigger a homing response that let's some primal reflex take over and tell the Bass that it's time to head South.

ray
09-06-2009, 08:13 AM
1 Rocks
2 fullmoon
3 bucket of eel
4 fish on!

Clogston29
09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
best set of tides of the year for me, especially early in the week

BassDawg
09-07-2009, 10:44 PM
best set of tides of the year for me, especially early in the week

AMEN to that my NShorian, bruthah!!!

i wait ALL year for these next three to five weeks, but
more specifically this and the next moon's windows of opportunity!!!
shore would like to sea The Cup extended to Oct 21st.
i'll be in ghost mode til Sun night~~~this YEAR could be THE Year!
:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: