View Full Version : Higher sea level?

PRBuzz
08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Wind, current combined to raise E Coast sea level

WASHINGTON — Folks living along the East Coast were in higher water early this summer thanks to a change in the wind and current flow.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Monday the higher than normal sea levels were caused by persistent winds from the northeast — pushing water toward shore — and a weakening of the Florida current that feeds water into the Gulf Stream.

Water levels ranged from six inches to two feet above normal in areas from Maine to Florida during June and July, the agency said.

While the ocean varies and unusual conditions do occur, Mike Szabados, director of NOAA's Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services, said in a statement, "What made this event unique was its breadth, intensity and duration."

The high water was intensified in June by a strong spring tide, officials added.

While it wasn't a record for northeasterly winds or for the decline in the Florida current, the combination of the two helped raise sea levels all along the coast.

vanstaal
08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
you know I have noticed that the town beach in Narr. was getting smaller @ high tide the water never hit the sea wall before I thought it was erosion but I'm sure that does have something to do with it to my.02

DZ
08-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I've noticed sea level rise for the past 10 years or so. The average high tide is much higher than it used to be. I see and gauge it on the rocky areas of Newport that do not change(erosion, etc.). The ocean seawalls get destroyed every year now where in the past it would take several years. While global warming may still be up for argument - there can be no denying sea level rise IMO.

DZ

numbskull
08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Whatta ya know? I thought it was all those Franklin guys in wetsuits that was raising the sea level.

Salty
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
You really noticed it this year in the salt pond, I have never seen the water so high.