View Full Version : Just got back from Florida on a boat search misson

Mr. Sandman
09-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Let me tell you that if you want to buy a boat that is the place. No joke you can get a boat for free there. I saw several decent craft (both power and sail) that were abandoned and being removed and destroyed. There are so many used boats for sale the dealers just can't sell a new one.

Have not found what I am looking for yet but deals abound there.

The state has 12%+ unemployment the worst in the nation and it really is alot more, a huge amount of unemployed workers have left the state and reduced the burden...so that 12% number is sugar coated. While in my hotel I watched a show about "Capt Repo"..this guys business is booming. The default rate on boats in south Florida is mind boggling. Buys are to be had. I will be going back.

quick decision
09-03-2009, 07:53 PM
what are you looking for?

Mr. Sandman
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Something a little bigger, a little faster, longer range, able to accommodate 4 overnight and has to be very efficient...oh, and has to be a great buy.:) The perfect boat does not exist, you have to own multiple boats. I really need a trawler and a 32' CC.

I am considering a range of boats from 32-38'. Some of the boats I am considering don't offer all of my wishes so I have to narrow it down to what is really most important....I may have to give up some of what I desire. I know I can meet these goals with your common 35' express with twin diesels but they just burn too much for where I go and the amount of use. I am considering down easters but I can't live with a cruise speed in the teens. I like big CC's for speed and fish-ability but the accommodations are weak. I have found a couple things I like but even those are a bit of a project and would take a while to get it the way I like.

I hope to find something between now and next April. Honestly, I could end up with just about anything right now...it depends on the deal, I could just move up to a bigger CC with OB's if the right one comes my way for a few years. I am keeping my eyes open.

One thing I have found...most brokers are a complete waste of time, you need to deal direct with the owners. Brokers have a different agenda, some really don't know the boat they are selling. Some will not let you even talk to the owner.

thefishingfreak
09-03-2009, 08:48 PM
either loose a few friends or start making them chip in for sleeping accommidations

striperman36
09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
lookin for a 25' shamrock inboard diesel

numbskull
09-05-2009, 03:43 PM
BHM?

Crafty Angler
09-06-2009, 10:12 AM
The 38' Fountain CC Sportfisherman should probably fill most of your needs...:)

After the last trip to BI and Coxes, I've gotta say that boat is absolutely the tits...:uhuh:

gf2020
09-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I've looked at boats in Florida in the past too. Prices are low in the Southeast, that is for sure. The problem with boats from FL, SC and GA is that they are generally beat. They spend all the time out in the sun so the gel coat is oxidized, the canvas is faded and the vinyl is dried out.

Boats from North Carolina and further north are generally in better condition. The Chesapeake Bay and Tidewater areas of Virginia have lots of boats for sale and they don't see as much use/abuse. Boats from the Midwest are probably the best of all: freshwater, short season, frequently store inside for the winters. However, limited supply usually leads to higher prices too.

Buying a used boat is such a crap shoot, it's usually fun shopping though!

Fly Rod
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Look into buying a Dusky, "go where the big boys go." Very happy with my 26foot Dusky center console. Great off shore boat. They are made in Florida.

Typhoon
09-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd be scared %$%$%$%$less about buying a "katrina" boat. I have a customer in New Orleans who says there are still 60 ft sportfishermen in the swamps that if you had a helicopter could be yours for the taking. They have been abandoned. Talk about a project boat.

jupter
09-20-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a 31' Jupiter CC with a cuddy for sale. If you are interested send me an email and I can give you more details.