View Full Version : An eeler's (almost) lament

Back Beach
09-05-2009, 01:51 PM
So my 5 year old son and I are walking around the block this AM with my neighbor and his 4 year old son. My son suggests they head over to our back yard to check out Daddy's eel tank. I'm standing in my driveway BSing with my neighbor when my neighbor's son comes around the corner as if he was being chased by a bear, I mean he's really screaming :uhoh:
Little did I know my son pays very close attention to my eel tactics, particularly the tank cleaning. Before attempting to clean the tank out by dumping it over on the ground, he neglected to remove the two dozen hand selected beauties and everything simply washed over the steep embankment behind my house and into the heavy brush. :laugha: Knowing the importance of this event, he immediately summoned me to the back yard where I observed the last eel slithering away into the leaves. He informed me his new little friend was very scared and ran away, around the other side of the house so the eels wouldn’t eat him :hee:
Anyways, armed with a leaf rake and bottle of IPA, I searched the accident site and recovered nearly every last eel. :happy:
Afterwards I praised my little guy for doing the right thing and telling me right away. He chuckled as the last eel plopped safely back into the holding tank, albeit a little bewildered.

ProfessorM
09-05-2009, 02:03 PM
LOL. no harm no foul

tynan19
09-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Mike, that is hilarious. Do you notice your eels turning pale with the white cooler? Or are they not in it long enough? I had a dozen in a light blue container and after a week they were turning very olive and light.

JohnR
09-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Hehehe :rotf2:

Mike, that is hilarious. Do you notice your eels turning pale with the white cooler? Or are they not in it long enough? I had a dozen in a light blue container and after a week they were turning very olive and light.

I found that leaving them in a white cooler in water they tend to lighten fairly quick, but left in a white bucket with ice melting down (the Keep Cool Eel Bucket (http://striped-bass.com/striper-fishing/index.php/articles/fishing-articles/16-keep-cool-eel-bucket)) , out of any light, but not swimming in water that the eels darken. After a couple days they are nice and black colored.

numbskull
09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
More likely the kid is a future plugger.......but just lost his nerve.

Did your wife get a picture of you raking eels?

BigFish
09-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Kids!! Ya can't beat em'!:)

UserRemoved1
09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Sure you can but your gonna get in trouble if anyone sees you :smash: :hee:

Kids!! Ya can't beat em'!:)

GattaFish
09-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Sure you can but your gonna get in trouble if anyone sees you :smash: :hee:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

piemma
09-06-2009, 02:30 AM
...and are they all covered with leaves and dead grass???

Back Beach
09-06-2009, 05:06 AM
More likely the kid is a future plugger.......but just lost his nerve.

Did your wife get a picture of you raking eels?

Where have you been pops? I was beginning to worry. As for the picture, my wife would probably drop dead if she witnessed me doing anything resembling work around the house.

Crafty Angler
09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
That young man has a future, Mike...:kewl:

Yup, he'll be a salty old eel slinger by the time he hits his teens...:uhuh:

Flaptail
09-07-2009, 06:22 AM
It was the hand of God working through your son's but alas the devil intervened and called you to your wicked work of collecting the vile serpents.:devil2:

BTW, God is a plug fisherman.:uhuh:

Sea Dangles
09-07-2009, 06:59 AM
They don't work well in the back yard Mike.Please post a pic of you in the wetsuit and substitute an eel for the potato.

BassDawg
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Funny Stuff, BB!!
:rotf2: :rotf2: :rotf2:

Nice SAVE on the woods eels.
GREAT pic of the future of Striper Coast New England!!!

Notaro
09-09-2009, 02:25 AM
LMAO haha

JoeBass
09-09-2009, 07:54 AM
really funny. You're a good Dad not to yell at him. I'd like to think I wouldn't, but.....

Rockfish9
09-09-2009, 08:35 AM
very cute story, I can relate, many years ago, I kept a tank in the basement to house the extra eels I trapped, less the pilferers scoff them from my keeper kept under the dock, my son, was about 8 at the time, loved to check in on the serpants... imagine my surprise when i went down to clean the tank and discovered a rotting.. stinking mess... JR. had inadvertantly unplugged the filter and air supply... leaving the old man with a stinking rotting mess that had to be carried up the stairs one stinking 5 gallon bucket at a time and burried in the back yard...upon reflection.. maybe thati s why i started building plugs...

OLD GOAT
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Great stories Mike and Joe reminds me when our granddaughter was 5 or 6 and had a kiddie pool in our back yard. One of those blowup 5-6fters. Well it seams that Meagan found my eels behind the house and dumped them in her pool and than climbed in with the eels. By the time i got home she had names for them and i had a whole house full of women that would not let me get them back. By the following day the gulls had a ball and I had to find some new fishing pets