View Full Version : Any exterminators?

basswipe
09-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Got a substantial yellow-jacket nest in one of my walls.I squirted a fair amount of wasp/hornet killer in the entry point early this morning before they got active but it really didn't do much.

Any advice or should I just call the Big Blue Bug?

spence
09-07-2009, 07:17 AM
You may want to just call the bug. Do a quick search and all the results pretty much say the same thing.

I'd note they also recommend not using spray. 1) You kill the parents leaving the larvae to rot and 2) all that moisture can cause mold.

-spence

basswipe
09-07-2009, 07:19 AM
They have just now found there way into my basement(Jane's office).I just can't see the entry point.

I kinda regret using the spray now.Me thinks that's why they're in my basement now.

spence
09-07-2009, 07:30 AM
They have just now found there way into my basement(Jane's office).I just can't see the entry point.

I kinda regret using the spray now.Me thinks that's why they're in my basement now.
Yes, another comment I read was that if you do things wrong there's a risk of driving them deeper into the house!

But I think you've figured that out :devil2:

-spence

Swimmer
09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I PM'd you. Had the same problem last week. Wife is allergic and they started getting into the house. I bought Ortho forming stuff before I called Griggs and Brown. The Ortho killed most of them over a period of three or four days. The bees get near it and track it into the nest, which then does a job on the other bees. But I would spray it where they entered the house and it foams up and the bees then try to get by it and ended up falling into the foam and that took care of a ton of them.

basswipe
09-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I used the Ortho stuff too.Lots a dead ones on the ground outside and few dozen inside.

Its scary when I put my ear up to the wall and its actually vibrating from the massive buzzing.

Jane's daughter is highly allergic.She lives up in Prov but does stay here when she works a late shift.

I got your PM.I got local guy coming tomorrow morning.

cheferson
09-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Empty a co2 tank into your wall.

Raven
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
or drill a 2" hole and stick a shop vacume hose in the hole and beat the wall hard

ProfessorM
09-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Biteme, Jim, is an exterminator ,or maybe just a front so he can dig thru peoples cellars looking for old fishing plugs, on Cape.

basswipe
09-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Finished up the sheetrock and mudding today.

That nest was 4'x15".Had to have been in there all year long.When I first opened up that wall and started cleaning out the nest and dead bees and larvae the smell was unbelivable.:yak:

Big Blue did the killing for $75.Less than what I was expecting.

spence
09-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Big Blue did the killing for $75.Less than what I was expecting.

That's because it sounds like you're doing most of the work!

-spence

Swimmer
09-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Baswipe that was half what it cost me to get someone there to kill mine. And I killed most of them before he arrived.