View Full Version : Anyone catching Tuna??

FISHING_FOOL
09-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Has anyone been catching any tuna lately? I made a trip Friday and today. Both days I had pogies and went to the sw corner. Any suggestions or tips?
:fishin:

thefishingfreak
09-07-2009, 08:55 PM
i'm using 250 jinkai mono leader with no problem hooking up. they aren't scared of it.
it's all a matter of the right place at the right time.

Little Round
09-08-2009, 04:36 AM
There are a few fish around if you are willing to look.:biglaugh: We got 9 hook ups on thursday on the spinning rod with the biggest right around 70" with a clean realease. I have left the trolling gear at home b/c this fish don't seem to want the troll on the moon.

buckman
09-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Has anyone been catching any tuna lately? I made a trip Friday and today. Both days I had pogies and went to the sw corner. Any suggestions or tips?
:fishin:

Go to the east edge. Set up near the whales. We have done well here all season. You won't see birds or jumping tuna but they are there

Moses
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
i'm using 250 jinkai mono leader with no problem hooking up. they aren't scared of it.

Unlike Mike, I've been in the WRONG place EVERY time!

buckman
09-08-2009, 01:42 PM

We had a ton of boils and lookers but no takes. We switched to 80# flouro and it was game on.

keeperreaper
09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Mike the usual boys did some serious work where you were. 4 and 5 respectively. They wail on those tuna out there. Call me for the details.

Moses
09-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Matt - you are KILLING me!

FISHING_FOOL
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Thank you all for the tips. I am a beginner and have caught nothing but a 90lb small one many many years ago. I just got a boat that is big enough to go and am bummed out that I haven't had much luck. Any tips are much appreciated guys!

nightfighter
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
If you get tinkers while jigging for macks, keep them. We snapped their necks and tails so they would swim in tight circles as they sank, which brought the fish into our slow trolled baits. And don't forget to use the leftover chum bag you used to attract the macks. It will bring tuna around as well. Just some old school stuff I picked up and saw in action...

keeperreaper
09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
All good tips. Try to fish near structure. Use nature's clues to help you find the fish. If you have specific questions pm me and I'll answer them for you.