View Full Version : House Flies????

BigFish
09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Been having an abundance of house flies invading my basememnt the past few weeks???? I have a diabetic cat that needs the litterbox changed daily, which I do, but still the smell can get a bit bad at times. I spray and kill like 20 at a whack and there were about 100 dead in a couple spots in the basement......curious where they might be coming from??? How they are getting in and why they are there.....this is a new problem???!!! Also.....do they sometimes nest in the ground/dirt??? I have a couple spots in the floor where the floor is broken and one of them is in the general area where I am finding alot of the dead ones and they seem always to be flying in the window above this spot??? Any insight would be appreciated!!!:)

Raven
09-08-2009, 04:19 PM
i'd have to see it.... to figure it out...

but here's what you can do....you take a Jar
and cover it with some material that can be slit
at the top to make a one way door
a trap door in.... but none get out

you have to use some left over meat in the jar
to attract them to it....

i used this to catch flies for a tree frog farm
i once built for the chameleon frogs

spence
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
You probably had a rat die in your cellar or wall.

-spence

Raven
09-08-2009, 05:15 PM
then there's diatomacios (sp) earth
the white powder used in
swimming pool filters...

it's made from dead sea life and the silicon spears
from the skeletons puncture flies and you can add some to the cat box

it's harmless to animals

BigFish
09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
No rats, no mice......cement walls.

spence
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Houseflies don't breed in dirt. If you have had an outbreak, something died somewhere close...

-spence

Backbeach Jake
09-08-2009, 06:09 PM
^^ Spence is correct. Sometimes you can't smell what has croaked but it's there. Get some flystrips and hang them in the corners of the cellar. They'll cut down on the little kamakazis flying in your face.

BigFish
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
There is nothing dead....nothing???? I think its the damn litter boxes!!!

Raven
09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
^^ Spence is correct. Sometimes you can't smell what has croaked but it's there. Get some flystrips and hang them in the corners of the cellar. They'll cut down on the little kamakazis flying in your face.

i found a dead mouse once that i kinda smelled one day
not knowing what it was ...then i saw fly larvae and said
i guess one of the traps got that bastid... :uhuh:

so yeah Spence is right OR there is a hole somewhere to the outside

Slingah
09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
did you leave a half-eaten baloney sandwich laying around down there???:confused:

JohnnyD
09-09-2009, 02:29 AM
In my office, we had a terrible fruit fly break out. No clue where they were coming from, but there were dozens and dozens over just a week.

We filled some Tupperware containers with vinegar and put holes in the top just barely big enough for them to get in. Next day, there were hundreds of dead flies in the traps throughout the office.

Raven
09-09-2009, 05:44 AM
they breed in almost empty hidden beer bottles

fishbones
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure about how they're getting in, but it sounds like there's something decaying that is attracting them. Here is some advice to getting rid of the ones that are already there.

How to kill a fly without a flyswatter.
In three easy steps

1.) Position your hands a few inches above the fly as if you were about to clap.
2.) Clap.
3.) Wash hands.

Raven
09-09-2009, 09:30 AM
sometimes hard to find
easy tho from a physical therapy
supply store....

they are those exercise rubber strips
that are about four feet long

stretch it to full length

FAAAAWAP !

:uhuh:

FishermanTim
09-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Think like Mr. Miagi (Karate Kid): "Man who can catch fly with chop sticks can accomplish almost anything.":rotf2:

Redsoxticket
09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Replace the litter box with a different brand or shreaded newspapers or beach sand then see what happens.

Karl F
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
1.) close the window, or put a screen in it...patch the holes in the floor too..
2.) change brand/type of litter box stuff
3.) Clean up all them half empty DD cups and bags!! coffee milk and sugar attracts flies too!
4.) Get rid of cat, I know, not easy, but it may be time...flies might be tellin you it's on the way --->out....
5.) thougrough cleaning vacuaming of entire basement, hoe out all corners, etc. including the ceiling, if insulated, pull it down, and look above it...wear a resperator while doing all this... lord nows what ya might find.

BigFish
09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
did you leave a half-eaten baloney sandwich laying around down there???:confused:

When was the last time I ever left anything "half eaten"?????:smash:

justplugit
09-09-2009, 03:13 PM
If there are 1 or 2 buzzing around inside the house, i like to get them
with a shot of hair spray. :D

PRBuzz
09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
If there are 1 or 2 buzzing around inside the house, i like to get them
with a shot of hair spray. :D

With or without a match (flame source) in front of the nozzle?

UserRemoved1
09-09-2009, 03:58 PM
sounds like a big pile of %$%$%$%$

Slingah
09-09-2009, 05:25 PM
including the ceiling, if insulated, pull it down, and look above it...wear a resperator while doing all this... lord nows what ya might find.
I did this all Labor day weekend Karl:fury:
generations of mice living in it......had to sterilize the whole area...
we will see in 2 weeks or so if I have the Hanta Virus....it is no joke...50% fatality rate...:wall:

striprman
09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
put up some fly paper strips ?

Slingah
09-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Can I have your plugs? :grins:

all yours if I kick.....

Raven
09-10-2009, 07:25 AM
all yours if I kick.....

this is just like Michael Jackson buying up all the Beatles music

i sense a hostile take over in the midst :confused: