View Full Version : Quiet Season??

BigFish
09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Nothing to write home about....for anyone! Nobody talking about great fishing...I don't see any "PB" threads this season???? This season seems especially lackluster to say the least!!! I hope we finish in a flurry! Your thoughts and comments are welcome!!:fishin:

GattaFish
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Its late,,,,,,, I hope,,,,, makes me wonder if the cold temps and lots of rain in the beginning of the summer has hammered the bait...

Bocephus
09-09-2009, 05:57 PM
spring was great for 3 weeks in may, since then its been tough but it does make catching one that much better, hope it gets better in the next few weeks

Rob Rockcrawler
09-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Spring was good, the summer sucked, but i think this fall is going to be a good one, its a bait factory out there.

Raider Ronnie
09-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Quiet is good !
Reports and self promoting are over rated !!!

The Dad Fisherman
09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Been pretty much a non-existent season for me this year........haven't been able to get out much

moosh
09-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I think it will pick up , theres some big bait on the way .. I can feel it something going to break ,

JohnnyD
09-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Quiet is good !

:smash:

Seriously?

Thumper
09-09-2009, 10:10 PM
spring was great for 3 weeks in may, since then its been tough but it does make catching one that much better, hope it gets better in the next few weeks

same here for me, and also around julys full and new. started to pick up down here just sat night, fri three dinky blues, sat 6 bass around the 15# mark. also two 25# landed about a mile north of where i was fishing. dont know who he was but ct plates, big black f250 and was wet suiting says the mobil man. then sun night just couldn't find them. who are you ct man you were in the rocks with me sun night but swam a good ways out there?

niko
09-10-2009, 04:24 AM
rr - you need to up your meds

piemma
09-10-2009, 04:24 AM
same here for me, and also around julys full and new. started to pick up down here just sat night, fri three dinky blues, sat 6 bass around the 15# mark. also two 25# landed about a mile north of where i was fishing. dont know who he was but ct plates, big black f250 and was wet suiting says the mobil man. then sun night just couldn't find them. who are you ct man you were in the rocks with me sun night but swam a good ways out there?

I think I know. Use to fish with him occasionally. He's always in a a wet suit. Comes from Westerly but I won't give him up.:uhuh:

Back Beach
09-10-2009, 06:27 AM
There's been fewer "easy" fish, meaninig like what we had at the canal last year. The surf fishing overall has been very consistent and quite good all season.

Lets understand what I mean by "consistent" for surf fishing...for me it means one good night for every two skunkings or a .333 average. Nobody I know hits them big every night, not even close. Fish have been available all season through most of the places I fish, meaning Gansett up to the Canal.

Slingah
09-10-2009, 06:49 AM
It has been an off year for me...hardly fished at all...too much life on my plate....I will be fishing from here on out thought.
I sense it has been a year of prioritizing for a lot of guys from what I hear and talking to others.
It also seems to me that the guys who are catching that used to regularly post pictures and talk about their catches are keeping quiet....maybe due to the Cup or that it has somehow become not appropriate to do so ...I dunno..
I miss the fish pix and talk.....and even the occasional spotburnflamewar ( sorry JR, we mods haven't had anything to do for months):rotf2:

Karl F
09-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Quiet is good !

:love:

Ronnie, can I quote you?

Back Beach
09-10-2009, 07:18 AM
It also seems to me that the guys who are catching that used to regularly post pictures and talk about their catches are keeping quiet....maybe due to the Cup or that it has somehow become not appropriate to do so ...I dunno..
:rotf2:

True, people sometimes allow public opinion to sway their actions, particularly on line. Showing a picture or reporting a catch isn't bragging or chest pounding in most cases, its simply sharing the experience with the folks who share the passion. You don't need to be spot specific to share a good story, either.

Rockfish9
09-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Back beach said it best when he said it hasnt been "easy"... and I concur, the last few seasons have been easy.. this year, the weather, and local conditions have made me earn it a little more... it's good.. because it keeps us humble...the fishing has been consistant...just not easy...

JFigliuolo
09-10-2009, 08:53 AM
July/August were outstanding in the kayak.

I'm a one night a week guy. Had a steady pick of fish, a good number of teens/20's. a thirty or 2 and one damn close to 40. I had ZERO skunks.

Sept has sucked @$$. But I'm sure that is a factor of how often I am able to fish. Fall is DEFINITELY about being out there when a school moves through it's really feast or famine. For the frequency I get to fish I rarely hit a good night.

vanstaal
09-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I think the season is three weeks behind this next new moon will tell all :uhuh: :fishin:

RIJIMMY
09-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Life kept me away from fishing as much as I usually do this year. Spring was ok, didnt have half the fun I had in the previous year livelining bunker. In the summer, I fished 4 times from 7/4-8/5 and all 4 times caught multiple bass including my PB of 34lbs. For 4 trips, my success ratio was way higher than any time before. Im pretty satisfied with the season so far.

Circlehook
09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Nothing to write home about....for anyone! :

I think Jim Sly will disagree with you....

Krispy
09-10-2009, 11:02 AM
True, people sometimes allow public opinion to sway their actions, particularly on line. Showing a picture or reporting a catch isn't bragging or chest pounding in most cases, its simply sharing the experience with the folks who share the passion. You don't need to be spot specific to share a good story, either.

Its Stripers Forever and PETA zealots changing the social perseptions of keeping fish. Catching bass is an accomlishment that fishermen are allowed to be proud of! Show how you feel about SF & Peta by posting big fish pictures!!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Spring up to the end of June was great for me. I have not posted one picture nor any reports this year because of the BS I caught last year from a few @$$^%#$ about "bragging". I had fish up to the high 30s in June but the anti-livelining crowd just got to me. No big deal. You do this as long as I have and you do it for yourself.

For that matter I was with the "#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&" one morning when we had a bunch of fish in the 40s and Billy didn't post anywhere.

doc
09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
been sporadic for me...

JoeBass
09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I only get to fish 2 solid weeks in Maine each year (and 2 weekend trips) , the first 2 of August. Probably the worst 2 weeks of the year to go for fishing, LOL. But I had a solid season. No real big ones...but plenty of action on slot fish and a few bigger ones in the teens. On the fly, plugs, chunk and live-lining. It was all good. Have one more trip coming up, can't wait!

Adam_777
09-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Been a crappy year for me and a few others fishing from land.Oh well at least we have some time before 2012......

ProfessorM
09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
This year has been pretty much same as most years, if not a little better than last year. I am speaking about boat fishing, spring thru now. We also have Albies within reach too, a real bonus. Only real shore stuff I do lately is canal and there I observed a lot of beauties landed this year,especially late spring, and none by me. All in all a decent year IMO. I have also had terrible seasons fishing where I am fishing now so I take what is given and look forward to next season with anticipation if it stinks.

Raider Ronnie
09-10-2009, 07:03 PM
:love:

Ronnie, can I quote you?

No problem !
Just look back this year, I haven't reported much at all .
If anything, some of the guys I fish with on a regular basis may have given a report, but not me.

StriperSniper
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Spring was slow for me,the past week or so has definitely made up for it though.

Thumper
09-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I think I know. Use to fish with him occasionally. He's always in a a wet suit. Comes from Westerly but I won't give him up.:uhuh:

retired navy seal?

piemma
09-11-2009, 09:01 AM
yes, I believe you are correct.