View Full Version : Looking to get my first Striper on the fly

Double Hall
09-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I sorted out the new rod, got the right line (10wt intermediate) after visiting Bear's Den (awesome guy) and after a slow weekend, have no fish to show for yet.

Anyone had any luck lately in the harbor? I'm already not liking my T-top... hopefully the bug sticks and it will give me a reason to upgrade :smash:

flyvice11787
09-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Just keep at it :uhuh:. Watch out for the cleats on the boat too, unless you have the pop up ones. If you don't use a stripping basket, try using one. It looks like you have plenty of room in the bow to avoid the t-top.

Double Hall
09-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Just keep at it :uhuh:. Watch out for the cleats on the boat too, unless you have the pop up ones. If you don't use a stripping basket, try using one. It looks like you have plenty of room in the bow to avoid the t-top.

Yeah, pop-up cleats would be great as well. I'm already making a wishlist of nice to haves in the next boat.

I have a collapsible stripping basket that I am yet to really use on the boat. I need a serious fly-only outing to get this going.

CaptMike
09-11-2009, 08:02 AM
It's addictive, be careful! Once you get your first bass on the fly there'll be no turning back! That Mako looks like a good fly boat to me. The T-top can get annoying but even if you take it off you'll still have trouble casting over the console because of the radio antennae and any other people in the boat. Stripping baskets really help as it keeps tangles from happening and gives you a way to set the rod down without th eline blowing around.

Double Hall
09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
It's addictive, be careful! Once you get your first bass on the fly there'll be no turning back! That Mako looks like a good fly boat to me. The T-top can get annoying but even if you take it off you'll still have trouble casting over the console because of the radio antennae and any other people in the boat. Stripping baskets really help as it keeps tangles from happening and gives you a way to set the rod down without th eline blowing around.

Smacked the engine cover pretty well with 1 or 2 casts the other night, trying to cast off the starboard side from the stern. :jump1: