View Full Version : Where Were You...

afterhours
09-11-2009, 06:19 PM
on 9/11/01? just thinking about the events of this day and i went thru some old pics. i was salmon fishing on the west branch of the penobscott and camping at prey's big eddy. seems that the generator on my coleman crapped out and i took the 45 minute drive to millinocket and that's when i first heard the news. i called my son and fiancee' and then went back in the woods for a while...

spence
09-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Interestingly enough, I was in a classified facility that made spy satellites! Or at least in a part of the building where they would actually let me in. They shut the place down right quick...

We did our work the next morning on the basis that it was even more important considering...and I drove home the next day.

-spence

quick decision
09-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I was at a meeting at work and someone walked in "a plane just hit one of the towers." I didn't believe him. Then I went home and watched TV for a few hours.

Squid kids Dad
09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I was at home watching TV before I left for work in Boston..I was glued to the TV..I remember driving in to Boston,tuned to WBZ and looking at the sky,s and seeing no planes..Very erie..

BasicPatrick
09-11-2009, 06:47 PM
I was in the westbound toll plaza of the Ma pike in Allston heading to Watertown for apin job when Dale Arnold anounced te first plane (he reported a cessna) hit the first tower.

When I arrived at the house the little old lady whose house I was almost done painting had a radio on the porch as she know we had to listen. She lived through D-day, Pearl Harbor and the Kenedy Asassanation and knew before most that this was a day to pay attention. Her wisdom that day will forever be with me. All our lives changed. I stuck to the tv for a week and then left for a very somber MV Derby.

Karl F
09-11-2009, 06:53 PM
At work, opening up, my cell rang, wife told me to turn on TV..
could not believe it...

left tube on all day...people at the counter would either get mesmerized, or some would just look away...and hurry on..
remember a sick feeling and a sense of dis-belief all day..

the other thing I remember was the weather, it was a 5 star day on the cape that day... I also remember fishing that night for a while after work.... and the few of us, that usually gave each other wide berths, at the inlet, kind of bunched up that evening....and you could tell none of us were really into it... we all sort of left early too....

Rob Rockcrawler
09-11-2009, 07:08 PM
I was at my moms house sleeping and she woke me up after the first plane hit. I didnt budge then after the second hit i was up for the duration. Where i grew up in NYC i could see the towers from the end of the street.

Thumper
09-11-2009, 07:13 PM
freshman year of high school sitting in social studies class oddly enough.

Adam_777
09-11-2009, 07:14 PM
RI family court waiting room.Supporting the wife in her battle vs her kids father for any help he could offer his children.I was a SGT in the RI National Guard and I knew as soon as I saw the news I'd get the call.Sad affairs in RI and corrupt officials stole millions instead of replacing our ancient equipment kept me stateside.8 years later and I still feel like justice was never served.Every year on this date I see the videos and the people celebrating the event on that day and look at the soldiers lives lost at war and the people who lost their lives that day trying to help others.September 11th is a sad day in my life every year and will be for the rest of my miserable existence.

Pete_G
09-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Driving past Newport Vineyards in Middletown, RI on my way to work at the SWE back when it was on Thames Street in Newport, heard the news over the radio.

Only other moment so distinctly etched is the start of the Operation Desert Storm; I was in 7th grade, doing math homework with my Mom at home in the evening.

Cool Beans
09-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Oncoming watch commander for base security dept NAVSTA Everett, Washington. Started hearing it on the radio on the way in, as I passed the gate, told them to start 100% searches and start preparing for Threatcon Delta. Had 6 guys in my section at start of shift, by lunch I had over 60 (Axillary Security Force members) that we split into 2 shifts, I kept section 1 and an MA1 took over section 2. Had 2 MA1s in my section that I put in charge of the main gate and the NEX/Commissary (5 miles from base). Was pretty crazy,, all the ships bugged out fast to sit off the coast ready to shoot down possible threats to the Seattle area. I closed off about 1 square mile of public property and closed 2 public roads, to secure the NEX/Commissary, posted armed guards at the 2 blocked off roads redirecting civilian vehicles a few miles out of the way on a detour around the NEX. LOL,, My Security Officer ended up answering to the city on that,, but we left it closed to civilians for over a month.. I had 2 K-9 units patrolling the base perimeter, with the third K-9 unit dispatched to Jim Creek facility about 40 miles form Everett with 3 of my armed guards... We had 1/2 dozen articulated 72 passenger busses on base that I knew how to drive, so I placed them in a semi circle around the command building with space to walk between them but not allow any vehicles through. We towed all vehicles withing 80 feet of any building using a small tow dolly and my pick up truck. That day ended up being 38 hours for me before I grabbed a cot in the office and took a nap.. I ended up going almost 4 weeks without a single day off, pulling 16 hour days. By then we were able to move to a rotation 5 days on with everyone getting different 2 days off. I still remember everytime a "lifeflight" helo had to fly over the base, they would call on the cell and radio to warn us they were going to fly over. It was months before that changed.. people today dont seem to remember how bad it was. An airplane flying overheard, made everyone feel uneasy for a long time after that. I remember when the plane hit the pentagon, with a sick feeling that I would never see a good friend of mine that worked there. ....... never did see him again... missed the funeral as I was on call on the base... ... May we never see a day like that again......

zimmy
09-11-2009, 07:27 PM
teaching in worcseter. saw a news flash on the computer during class that an airplane had hit the trade center and it was on fire. mentioned it to my buddy in passing and said I bet it was terrorists. Little did we know at that point. I was thinking today about the first night after that that I went fishing and I was standing east of the sagamore thinking how weird it was without airplanes in the sky and and I also had a bit of anxiety about what I would do if they blew up the bridges while I was on the cape side. Seems like yesterday and a lifetime ago.

BigFish
09-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I was working with a friend of mine putting an addition on a house.....we had just stripped the forms off the foundation the day before so I showed up that morning to work alone for the day. I was raking peastone around the foundation when my (then girlfriend) Angie called to say that a plane had crashed into one of the towers.......it sounded strange to me and I was puzzled so, living close by, I ran home to turn on the television in time to see the second plane hit!!! I continued to watch in horror as the first tower collapsed......most horrible thing I have ever seen......my gut doubles over even now when I see the footage of it!! The thought of all of those poor people that were still inside the buildings!!!! Needless to say with all that was going on that day I stayed home.....unsure of what the rest of the day may have in store????? My buddy was dismayed that I left the jobsite.....what a tool!!!:smash: I hope I never see anything like that again!

JohnR
09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I was home that day with wifey and my 10 month old son cradled in my arm. I was praying that the 50,000 people working that location could get out. The majority of them did.

ProfessorM
09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
sleeping next to my 11 month old daughter when my mom called and woke me up and never left the tube for the rest of the day as I watched in disbelief. Just watched a show on it with my now almost 9 year old and it feels like yesterday. Still hard to watch

RIJIMMY
09-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Rome, Italy. Just got back from a tour of the vatican, turned on the tube, only English station was CNN, this was just after the first plane hit. We have friends who worked in the WTC and that was my first thought, were they ok? I said to my wife, we're at war and stuck in another country. We were scheduled to fly 9/12 home and it took a close to another week to finally get back. It really hit us when we were back in the states, suddenly there were American flags everywhere, suddenly it all became real.

BaddJack
09-11-2009, 10:39 PM
On 9-10-01, I returned to Orlando after a weekend of fishing at the Canal. Once home, I realized that I had left a Rapala fillet knife in my carry-on bag, which went through screening at Logan with no issues.

On 9-11-01, I was back at work at the Kennedy Space Center on a Tiger Team, trouble shooting mechanical problems on a new payload canister transporter.

All of the best were in a meeting, when we were interrupted that a plane had hit one of the WTC towers. Initially we all thought that it had been a small plane inflicting minimal damage, so we kept working.

Our meeting was broken up when the second plane hit, and we were ordered back to our stations, at the same time the KSC was in a complete lock-down.

The mere fact that the "box-cutters" have been targeted as the weapon of choice shows the pure audacity of the perpetrators of the greatest crime in our nation's history, especially due to the fact that on the day preceding the event, I inadvertently passed through Logan airport screening with a razor sharp fillet knife.

Today, I can not carry a barroom pizza, let alone a drink of water, through the TSA screeners.

P.S. I feel so much safer after removing my worn shoes / sneakers.

YouTube - 9/11 Incontravertable Proof the Government is Lying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaFGSPErKU)

Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! (http://www.infowars.com/)

It's our country, we need to open some eyes that it is being taken over by the criminal bankers, politicians, and judicial.

Taxation without representation is tyranny.

:fury:

Mike P
09-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Driving to work along the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn. I could see the skyline most of the way. Saw the second plane hit from a bridge over Gerritsen Creek in Sheepshead Bay. My eyes were way ahead of my brain at the time--I kept telling myself that I really didn't see what I just saw :(

Raven
09-12-2009, 05:47 AM
at the construction office
a plane slamming into the trade bldg

i knew instantly it was terrorism

that sickening feeling hit me like a ton of bricks
i could no longer work -period

quick decision
09-12-2009, 06:33 AM
On 9-10-01, I returned to Orlando after a weekend of fishing at the Canal. Once home, I realized that I had left a Rapala fillet knife in my carry-on bag, which went through screening at Logan with no issues.

On 9-11-01, I was back at work at the Kennedy Space Center on a Tiger Team, trouble shooting mechanical problems on a new payload canister transporter.

All of the best were in a meeting, when we were interrupted that a plane had hit one of the WTC towers. Initially we all thought that it had been a small plane inflicting minimal damage, so we kept working.

Our meeting was broken up when the second plane hit, and we were ordered back to our stations, at the same time the KSC was in a complete lock-down.

The mere fact that the "box-cutters" have been targeted as the weapon of choice shows the pure audacity of the perpetrators of the greatest crime in our nation's history, especially due to the fact that on the day preceding the event, I inadvertently passed through Logan airport screening with a razor sharp fillet knife.

Today, I can not carry a barroom pizza, let alone a drink of water, through the TSA screeners.

P.S. I feel so much safer after removing my worn shoes / sneakers.

YouTube - 9/11 Incontravertable Proof the Government is Lying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YaFGSPErKU)

Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! (http://www.infowars.com/)

It's our country, we need to open some eyes that it is being taken over by the criminal bankers, politicians, and judicial.

Taxation without representation is tyranny.

:fury:

I am not sure what you are trying to say buy posting this clip. But if you are hinting towards a conspiricy theory, please go peddle your bull s#$% somewhere else. Have some respect for the people who lost there life on 9/11.

pmbrac
09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
surfing in Newport

doc
09-12-2009, 07:31 AM
I was in NYC... At ground zero 4 hours after the collapse treating the firefighters and rescuers...no words will ever describe what it was like to be there...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Fly Rod
09-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Was at home sitting at my home office desk with the TV on and suddenly the news alert shows an amatures camera showing a plane heading for and crashing into one of the towers, I could not believe it at first, I immediately cell phoned the wife.

nightfighter
09-12-2009, 07:42 AM
In the midst of a break up with GF at the time, packing and moving. Got a call from my sister and brother in law, who asked me to use my contacts to check passenger manifests. Just before AA shut their system down, I got the confirmation that their business partner was indeed onboard Flight 11. It was an awful, eerie period of my life as four people close to me were lost that day.
Wow, doc. Never knew...

RIROCKHOUND
09-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I remember 100% of that day.

I was in that limbo time between graduating and starting grad school, working on a tour boat in Newport, a pretty idyllic fall. I walked through the lobby of the gym I was working out at around the time the first plane hit. Walked by with tunes on my earphones and thought, wow, fire in the world trade tower... showered and left and walked by it on my way out and saw both towers on fire, and I remember trying to process how the fire jumped from one to the other tower. got out to my truck and heard the real story, I think they were simulcasting the today show live, cause I remember Katie Couric on the radio...

Spent the day on Goat Island, listening, watching quick bursts of TV at the Doubletree Hotel Lobby between tours, feeling very silly doing tours for tourists all day. I do specifically remember immediately putting the boats flag at half mast...

%$%$%$%$ed up day. end of the innocence for a lot of my generation I think... our Kennedy/Pearl Harbor type of day...

Slingah
09-12-2009, 08:22 AM
I was on a roof of a house I was working on in Milton with my helper Anthony. We were listening to Howard Stern, it was a picture perfect day. One of those days that the air, temp and mood was perfect for exterior painting. When Howard announced the first hit I thought it was a sick joke.....then it sounded serious and yelled to Anthony to change the station to WBZ....listened for a bit more then went up to the local bar and watched the horror. We returned to the job, packed up and left.
I will never forget 9/11 or the days right after.

Saltheart
09-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I had walked to the cafeteria for a coffee. They had a TV on and the first building was smoking. Watched the second plane hit then stayed there until the second tower fell. Sad day!

I also remember exactly , exactly where I was when JFK was shot when I heard Salty had died and when we walked on the moon.

Stewie
09-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I was working on a house. Most of the guys with my were Arabs who had come here for a better life. These guys were all in tears, They came here to get away from this stuff. One of them was beatenby a customer that night as he pumped gas as a second job. I went home and waited with my wife for the kids to come home from school. I wanted to go get them as I was afraid that our town might get hit too and I wanted us to be together. There are tears in my eyes as I remember this stuff.

Damn, that was a bad day.

Clogston29
09-12-2009, 08:54 AM
i was at work in cambridge when i heard. spent the next 5 hours trying to get my girlfriend at the time, who was a flight attendent and working that day, on the phone to make sure she was ok. they evacuated our 15 story office building in cambridge thinking that there might be a threat (because really, when you think about it, a 15 story building in Cambridge is the next logical target after then ones they hit).

justplugit
09-12-2009, 09:15 AM
That morning around 7:30 i was walking up the stairs to take a shower
and had a sudden urge to pray for my son-in-law,
a 767 pilot leaving Kennedy at 8:00 AM that morning nonstop to LA.
While i pray for my family and friends every night, that's about it.

My wife had the TV on and as we watched the fire and smoke my daughter called
crying not knowing if Tim would be one of the planes involved..
I told my wife how i had the urge to pray as i went up stairs and she looked at me in amazement
as she had the same feeling and had prayed at the same time.

We didn't know he was safe until 11:30 when he called to say he had asked for
permission to land in ST. Louis as soon as the tower controllers had warned about
what was happening. He had to stay there for 6 days with his plane until he
could fly it home.

There is no doubt in my mind that the terrorists had looked at his flight
as a possible plane as it had the same MO as the others,
767, nonstop to the coast with a full tank, and leaving at 8:00 AM.

Brian L
09-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I'll never forget this day for many reasons...

I was at my house in Kingston, RI preparing for my dad's wake. He'd passed away after a surgical mishap in Arizona on the 5th, and it had taken 6 days to get him home and ready for the services. Was outside with the dog when I heard my wife say, "oh jesus christ..." in a tone I hope I never hear again. Ran into the house just in time to see the second tower hit. Spent the next few hours wondering if WWIII was starting while we were preparing to say goodbye to our dad. Had the worst week of my life previous to the 11th watching him pass very painfully. Seeing those poor folks suffer in NYC put me in a deeper tailspin for the day. The wake was almost surreal.. 2-3000 or so folks showed up a and it was as if it was a wake for everyone who'd passed that morning. I just remember numbness after the first hour or so. It felt selfish grieving, given all that the folks in NYC had suffered such horrible fates. What a nightmare...

JohnR
09-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Conspiracy theories / discussion move to a thread in Scuppers if you REALLY feel the need to go down that path. Thanks.

Swimmer
09-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Half way through a haircut at Don's in Hanson, Mass. Finished the haircut and by that time thier were about 20 people standing inside the shop including all the girls from the Conway Realty.

I know it sounds melodramatic, but when I went to walk out the door I said that, "we are at war, we just have to figure out who to shoot back at." I could tell that more than shocked a few people. Most everyone there had never been through anything like that.

Finaddict
09-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I was at work - in a meeting and the individual's whose office it was had a news site up on her computer, she turned to look at the screen and said, "oh my god, a plane hit the World Trade Center." At the same moment, my boss got on the overhead and called everyone into the main conference room, and we watched the second plane hit ... freaked ...

... I can remember the first feeling I experienced was the need to be on the boat fishing either down in Islamorada on the Down Town flat for bonefish or drifting off Montauk for albies and stripers ... weird how that was my security blanket of sorts ...

My dad's company was previously on the 19th floor of one of the World Trade Center buildings ... he helped his floor get out of the building when it was bombed by the van back in 1991 or whenever that happened. The man who took over my father's position when my dad retired, moved the company in July to Jersey City ... everyone in the company was furious until 9/11 less than two months later ...

But more whacked things were happening that day in my life ... altholugh none compared to what was going on for the people who were victimized.

Doc - hats off to you for helping everyone.

hardbait
09-12-2009, 10:39 AM
I was working on Manny Ramirez's condo at the millenium(Ritz Carlton) towers,26th floor, downtown Boston.It was almost coffee break,8:45 when it happened.They evacuated all the high rises in Boston. I remember the T was packed with people, no one said a word the whole ride.

mikrok
09-12-2009, 10:41 AM
In law class, senior year of high school. After we first tuned in and were shocked by what was happening we were evacuated to the rear of the building, onto the soccer field because some jackass called in a bomb threat or something (went through a few of them). I remember feeling pretty numb about the direct "threat" because of what I had witnessed. Kids in class had older brothers and sisters at school in NYC and nobody knew if they might have been in the area at the time :(

JohnnyD
09-12-2009, 11:12 AM
At college. My roommate's dad was a head for emergency response in NYC. He dealt with a lot of remote coordination of resources. We were getting updates on what was happening before the news stations got them. We knew within minutes about the plane hitting the pentagon and also very quickly about the forth one that went down. Always wondered if the military had to do the necessary thing and take it down.

Mike P
09-12-2009, 03:26 PM
That morning around 7:30 i was walking up the stairs to take a shower
and had a sudden urge to pray for my son-in-law,
a 767 pilot leaving Kennedy at 8:00 AM that morning nonstop to LA.
While i pray for my family and friends every night, that's about it.

My wife had the TV on and as we watched the fire and smoke my daughter called
crying not knowing if Tim would be one of the planes involved..
I told my wife how i had the urge to pray as i went up stairs and she looked at me in amazement
as she had the same feeling and had prayed at the same time.

We didn't know he was safe until 11:30 when he called to say he had asked for
permission to land in ST. Louis as soon as the tower controllers had warned about
what was happening. He had to stay there for 6 days with his plane until he
could fly it home.

There is no doubt in my mind that the terrorists had looked at his flight
as a possible plane as it had the same MO as the others,
767, nonstop to the coast with a full tank, and leaving at 8:00 AM.

I don't want to freak you out, and I want to stress that this has never been officially confirmed, but there were pretty strong rumors floating about NYC in the weeks after 9/11 that a hijacking attempt was intercepted at JFK that morning. Rumor had it that the would-be hijackers were somehow challenged at security, and fled out onto the airport taxiways, and disappeared.

nightfighter
09-12-2009, 04:09 PM
It was thought that a total of seventeen planes were actually targeted. And there is still a 737 that is not accounted for.....

chief10
09-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I was driving up rt. 3 when I heard the report of the small aircraft on WEEI. I called my cousin Greg who was in the second tower and couldn't get through. I remember getting to work and at the time I worked with my younger brother, as soon as I walked in I knew something was wrong. I stayed until the second tower was hit then drove home. With all the conflicting reports I wasn't really sure what to think until I saw it on TV. I can remember trying to tell myself this wasn't happenning, none of it looked real. A very sad day for everyone who enjoys being an American. A couple of pictures from the 9-11 memorial in Plymouth. If you haven't seen this yet, stop by.It's worth it.

Backbeach Jake
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I was at work. One of the mechanics, Gil, said Fred, put on a radio. There were conflicting stories, small plane, then airliner, then another airliner, then another, then yet another. Gil came back over to my shop and said let's take an early lunch where there's a TV, bad stuff is going on. I left a grilled tuna sandwich on the bar untouched....and went back to work. One of the Brazilian guys asked me what was going to happen now. I told him that a lot more people were going to die...I've never felt more dejected in my life, never....

justplugit
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't want to freak you out, and I want to stress that this has never been officially confirmed, but there were pretty strong rumors floating about NYC in the weeks after 9/11 that a hijacking attempt was intercepted at JFK that morning. Rumor had it that the would-be hijackers were somehow challenged at security, and fled out onto the airport taxiways, and disappeared.

Thanks Mike, i never heard the rumor about JFK, but not ever having this kind of feeling to pray and having my wife have the same feeling about 1/2 hour before take off was incredible to both of us. He's always flying, that strong feeling never felt before, that day and that time?????

I don't pretend to have an answer, but i have always felt that they had targeted
his flight because it was the exact plane and flight time as the others.
If there were would-be hijackers that were foiled, it would go a long way in lifting
the mystery for us.

Thanks for shedding some light. :)

BigBo
09-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Home from work recovering from hernia surgery. My daughter had just came over to the house to do some laundry and I was laying on the couch with my then 11 month old grandson. We watched in horror and I couldn't help but wonder what the future would be like for my grandson growing up in a world of global terrorism.

fumifish
09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
working in Manhattan on wall street. had a trip out of Chicago that am for a baseball game with clients. office address was 1 new york plaza. not close but not far enough...

dont know where to start...

never forget :gh:

Katie
09-12-2009, 10:39 PM
French class. I was 11, 6th grade. And the tv was staticy so we couldn't really tell what was going on but then we saw the 2nd plane hit after we got it. I couldn't really comprehend what was going on. Now it's just like wow.

Crafty Angler
09-13-2009, 02:31 AM
I'd actually slept in a bit that morning until 8 or so and sat having coffee, proof reading the ProJo and watching the morning news after a busy weekend during what had been a very busy season for us. My wife was already downstairs in the studio office when the first news reports came in about the WTC.

When I saw the 2nd plane hit live and in real time, there was little doubt that it was indeed an attack and not just a terrible accident and it sent a cold chill through me - I distinctly remember saying OMFG.

In the eight years since there's been a minute-by-minute replay of the sequence of events on the anniversary. I watched perhaps 10 or 15 minutes of it Friday morning and had to turn it off. I find I can't watch it anymore. As someone who has dealt with imaging for over 25 years, it's too much for me and takes me back to something nightmarish I keep hoping I'll wake up from and can't. There's still an air of unreality to it.

I now find that those images and the heart-rending stories of the unimaginable horror, self-sacrificing heroism and tragedy that go with them are too much for me to revisit through the cold unblinking eye of taped live TV coverage. I suppose that videotape will become the Zapruder film for Gen-X and Gen-Y, documenting the shocking and grisly details of the attack that stunned and saddened us all. Watching it now, in retrospect, it also foreshadows what was yet to come as a result.

Ultimately, whether we knew those people who perished or not, they were a part of us as a nation and that sense of loss and grief is still with us today. The cathartic moment for me was the service at St Patrick's for the fallen police chaplain. My wife and I knew one of the officiants, a Jesuit monk with Newport connections and made us feel a part of the effort to address our grief and sadness as a nation.

Less than 2 weeks later we shot the wedding of a young woman at the NYYC whose boss, the CEO of a well-known software company, was in the first plane to strike the WTC. Her husband and his groomsmen had friends in both towers.

Two weeks after that we shot another big event and the groom was in the 2nd tower when the first was hit and immediately exited the building via the stairs some 80 floors up. It was a joyous occasion for the young couple but there was a pall of sorts over the affair, too, and as an observer I saw the thousand yard stare in that young man's eyes.

Today, without a doubt, post-911 America is a much different place. Eight years later OBL is still at large while we chased other red herrings in Iraq and Afghanistan, killing and wounding tens of thousands of young American men and women with collateral casualties in those countries well in excess of a hundred thousand by conservative estimates.

At this point I'm not so interested in where I was then as where I find myself today after the anniversary.

That place is older, colder and a good bit more cynical when I realize that our great national loss and the shock, anger and determination to bring those responsible to justice was manipulated into an excuse to further someone else's agenda at a staggering cost in human suffering on all sides.

911 will always be a terrible memory for me and for all of us, a day to remember and reflect on a great national tragedy. It is also a day to honor the men and women who gave their lives driven by the hope that others might live.

I pray we never forget.

luds
09-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I was sitting in a training class for my first day of post college real work. We also got early. I can remember feeling nervous because I had to drive from Quincy to Wakefield which meant driving through the tunnel. I was pretty relieved once Boston was in my rear view. I spent the rest of the day calling my friends that worked in that area and on the phone with my girlfiend who could see all the smoke out of her dorm room in Hempstead Long Island.

leo33
09-13-2009, 07:52 PM
working on the roof at the Black Falcon terminal across from Logan.we had no radio but found it odd when the sky went quiet.we noticed all the fuel trucks getting as far from the terminals as they could and that's when my wife(girlfriend at the time)called.shortly after we got buzzed by a couple of F15's from Otis.

The Dad Fisherman
09-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I was at work waithing for a cab ride to Logan so I could catch a flight to the UK. Needless to say.....we didn't make the flight. Not that I wanted to after all that had happened.

Gloucester2
09-14-2009, 01:15 PM
I was 100+ miles offshore tuna fishing with Skip Petis of the Dorado II out of Point Judith . . . we started getting blurbs over the marine radio of planes crashing, car bombs, suicide bombers, etc., etc. - many of which turned out to be false, unfortunately some were not. No one much felt like fishing and we headed in . . . I can vividly remember the Coast Guard boats patrolling the shores as we neared port and the nearly non-stop line of police and emergency vehicles flying down the Mass Pike presumable to help in the effort.

Islander77
09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Woke up at 5 am Couldnt fall back asleep... Went fishing for a bit... Headed home for coffee and shower before school at NETTTS to get my CDL.... was running late turned tv on when in shower... Not to news channel to CMT... Mom called like 20 times while in shower... Called her back said turn on the news... saw in disbelief... Grabbed more coffee sat down Called my best friend/ Brother he was coming threw NY that am in his truck on way home... Sat watched news didnt make school... Remember sitting there watching in awe, My family is from a place that has 1000 year round residents.... So this really made me wonder what the world had come to... I remember being sick to my stomach... Couple days later in Wakefield a Man was dragged out of his store and assaulted cause of were his ethnic genealogy comes from...

Typhoon
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Was in training for work, left work and surfed amazing waves. Since then we've had waves every 9/11 since.

islander
09-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I was at my desk at USCG station Gloucester. I still remember how I kept thinking, that this couldn't happen here.

Mr. Sandman
09-14-2009, 05:45 PM
I was in my home office and I got a call from my office in Arlington, VA, down the street from the Pentagon. One of my co-workers was at a starbucks and saw the plane approach the building, he said you could hear the engines winding up to full power as they made impact. He said they hit at full throttle. He said the fireball and explosion was huge. The rest of the day I was tuned in to the tube. My young sons who had visited the tower a week or so eailer said..."That is fake, right dad?" No son, its real. He cried for a while and it was 3 years before I could get him into a plane and it was a white-knucle drill for the first few flights.

IMO most of this country nor the current admin still does not have a full grasp of the kind of people we are dealing with.

MikeToole
09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
I was in my office at work when I got a call from my wife about it. After that I was sitting in my office with my Admin Assistant waiting for word on her parents who had flown out of Boston that morning. Only to find out just before noon that her parents were on the second aircraft that flew into the towers. Her father had just retired a few days earlier.

It was also my wife's birthday.

piemma
09-15-2009, 03:25 AM
Heading for NYC for a meeting with the Port Authority on the 72nd floor of Tower 2. I was working for an imaging company and we did all the scanning and indexing for the Port Authority. We had something like 25 servers at 2 Broadway as the processing facility. I remember I got as far as New Haven and all the trains had been shut down. I went home thinking how if I had gone to NYC on Monday, 9/11 was a Tuesday, I would be dead.

The Iceman 6
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I was on the top floor of 3 Times Square (Reuters Building) watching in horror. Our building was evacuated real quick. Walking home to U. E. Side, saw the North tower buckle. Was on 45th & 5th, saw it clear as day, couldn't believe it. Eerie quiet, people praying, others crying, most just dumfounded. Proceeded to walk to a good friend's house who worked in the N. Tower, just waited for him to get home, he did, he left everything there and just left WTC, phone, wallet, car keys, he just knew to get out. He told me he left immediately when he saw a bunch of paper's flying around. Then I went home to my then pregnant wife and had a few drinks for both of us. Lost of few Instinet colleagues that day. That night, all up and down First Avenue, everybody had candles out, it was a sight I'll never forget. Rollerbladed with a friend downtown the next day to help out, do anything, give blood, whatever. HEAVY concentration of military, police, fire, and first responders. Never forget there was man with a spray painted sign that read "You Made Us Stronger." My friend whose a FF from New Haven made it to the site and couldn't believe the amount of shoes/sneakers at the recovery site, that's all he kept talking about, the empty shoes/sneakers. RIP

Ice

JakeF
09-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I was at Kansas City International Airport that morning with my wife, waiting to board a plane to L.A. on business. The airport monitors happened to be tuned to a news channel and we saw the footage of the first building smoking as we boarded the plane. At that time they weren't sure what had happened and our flight took off as usual.

About 30 minutes into the flight, we suddenly started decending quickly and we all knew something was wrong. The airline crew didn't say anything until we were on final approach to land in Oklahoma City,,, then they broke the news of the details. Everyone was real quiet,,,, stunned. After we got off the plane and into the very crowded airport, I booked it for a rental car counter but they were all sold out by the time I got there. My secretary ended up driving down from Kansas City the next day to pick us up, and we spent that day in a hotel room watching the news and praying.