View Full Version : MV Derby Anecdotes

Fish On
09-15-2009, 12:56 AM
I won't be able to make it to the derby again this year, 2nd time in 2 years. I missed it terribly last year and I'm missing it even more this year. I'm hoping to live vicariously through the S-B ers that go and enjoy all the fun. Please share any anecdotes from the derby this year that will help those of us that can't make it to share your experience. Fun stories from the Basic fishing shack, the fish that got away....or didn't, witnessing a junior's first weigh-in, or an old timers return. Interested in anything you care to share.

Saw Kib Bramhall weighed in a nice boat bass on the first day. Great to see a hall of famer weigh in a nice fish. Wish I could have seen him at the weigh station. Dylan Kadison is off to a great start in the juniors. Leo, Casey, Tony, Dennis, hope you guys get some time on the Island this year. Good luck to you guys!

So glad for the website and being able to get all the latest news. The volunteers that make it all work are fantastic. Safe fishing to all who wet a line!

tynan19
09-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Hopefully get to see Starfish weigh in her first Derby Fish.

BEETLE
09-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Same here as Fish On - Can't go - no funds.. been thinking how to even squeeze just a weekend out. :confused:Will need to hear from those that do go. Good Luck to all.

Crafty Angler
09-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Hopefully get to see Starfish weigh in her first Derby Fish.

:nopics:

Good luck to you guys - maybe Starfish will get her 50!

Fish On
09-29-2009, 05:31 AM
Just passing between southern Italy and Scicily and had to log into the derby website to see what's happening. Fishing seems slower than usual for sure. 29 lb shore striped bass leading the derby 2 weeks in?

So anyone have any interesting stories to share yet? Did starfish get her fish weigh in?

Tight lines!

JohnR
09-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Kieth - wish I was there too - though I may try to pull a Hail Mary -

rickhern
09-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Starfish didn't weigh in yet but it isn't for a lack of effort(or skill). Damn, that girl is hardcore!

BasicPatrick
09-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Sunday we opened the house, unpacked and then relaxed as is custom.

Monday at dawn we chased funny fish under a poluar lighthouse and saw only one caught.

Monday aftrnoon we went to a pouplar jetty and adjoining beach looking for the illusive shore bone...no fish seen or caught by anyone...even the derby elite that were also there.

Monday around dusk I threw pencil poppers in very heavy dirty surf at a top five legendary surf fishing location and the only ones smiling were the surfers

Monday overnight it rained and I slept

Tuesday I worked on tackle (mainly replacing backing and preparing three fly outfits) and preparing for the Stellwaggen Bank National Marine Sanctuary Zoning Working Group

Tonight I will hit the bass spots in th elee pretty hard and then on Wed morning I have the ferry bus and taxi thing to get to the coast guard base in Boston for the above mentioned meeting....

When I return...it's on!!!!!!!

Starfish
09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Starfish didn't weigh in yet but it isn't for a lack of effort(or skill). Damn, that girl is hardcore!

Awe thanks I try hard...And thanks Rick for letting me bring a little bit of pink into the house!!:)