View Full Version : Can anyone identify the maker?

Notfishinenuf
09-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I picked this little gem up and the makers name is missing. The address is 12 School St. Boston, Mass. The maker or owners name was above the address but the only thing left is the tops of a few letters. It is also marked as a No. FS 75. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vic

Mike P
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
No idea on the builder, but it looks like a Harnell blank.

beamie
09-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Vic,

I have a rod at my moms house in the basement with the exact same address I believe. I forget if is has the builders or owners name on it. Next time I visit I'll check it out and let you know.

HESH2
09-17-2009, 06:25 AM
blank and thread wrap looks like harnell to me,have similiar 1 at home.

The Iceman 6
09-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks like a Harnell to me too

hardbait
09-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I remember reading somewhere of a guy building blanks in downtown Boston,it was a family venture, and were suppose to be fantastic custom rods.It will come to me were I saw it. It was an Italian name if I'm correct.Will look into it.

Peter D
09-17-2009, 04:46 PM
It was either Destefano or Stefano. The brother had a shop on School St (before or after that, on Washington St) and his sister also made custom rods from Harnell blanks. Her shop was on Merrimac St in Boston. She re-wrapped one of my rods, in 1955, which I still use.

Notfishinenuf
09-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. Beamie, I hope it has a name on it! It is nothing great and I thought it would make a nice hanger in my room. I think I might try it out on some small bluefish. It is a nice little rod.

Thanks again ,

Vic

JohnR
09-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Not sure if the company changed hands or not but there was a fishing outfitter there until the late 90's / early 2000's. Bought some stuff their over the years including a few St Croix rods.

LINESIDES
09-20-2009, 08:00 AM
I’m old enough to answer this. I have several rods made by Amelio Destefano.
Well known in his time as one of the premier rod builders.
Folks like Ted Williams purchased some of his rods.
It is a Harnell blank.
What you have is a brought off the rod rack, not signed.
The wait was about a month if I remember correctly for a customer built.
When you purchased a custom built rod from Amelio he signed them and put your name and address on the rods.
He also made some beautiful split bamboo rods.
However I believe if some one has one or can find one they are rare!
Peace, L.